(Ingame Music) Ratarf - ???

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
ratarf
Trained
Trained

(Ingame Music) Ratarf - ???

Post by ratarf »

I'm still working on a soundtrack. This is just a preview so please do not consider it as final in any way.

I'm not really satisfied - I think there are a few good parts in there, but some things suck about it. The order for example. I want it to start more quietly and then develop into a climax at the end.. So if anyone is interested in messing around with it a bit, I'm more than happy to give you the .flp file (Everything was made in FL studio) if you send me an email. This is the first track I'm creating using my pc, normally I'm just a guitarist/bass player in a band. So if someone with more experience could add something to it, and the track would make it in the game, I'd feel honored.

And about the licensing... If I would release it under the GPL v2 for use in warzone, does this mean it is still MY track, so I can still put it on, let's say a myspace page or a blog, and claim it as mine? Of course I would give credit to anyone who helps with the track.

Anyway, here it is:
http://users.skynet.be/ratarf/Soundtrack.mp3
Jimmbob
Trained
Trained

Re: (Ingame Music) Ratarf - ???

Post by Jimmbob »

Its very good! cant wait to hear the final version =)
Good luck, bet it will sound amazeing! :D
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

----------->

* I like. Very kwel all around plus, IMO, while "fitting" WZ you are also blazing new ground and, as such, making it your own rather than trying to do some imitation variant of the original which, lets face it, is a tired approach. :)

- Regards, Rman.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

ratarf wrote:I'm still working on a soundtrack. This is just a preview so please do not consider it as final in any way.

I'm not really satisfied - I think there are a few good parts in there, but some things suck about it. The order for example. I want it to start more quietly and then develop into a climax at the end.. So if anyone is interested in messing around with it a bit, I'm more than happy to give you the .flp file (Everything was made in FL studio) if you send me an email. This is the first track I'm creating using my pc, normally I'm just a guitarist/bass player in a band. So if someone with more experience could add something to it, and the track would make it in the game, I'd feel honored.

And about the licensing... If I would release it under the GPL v2 for use in warzone, does this mean it is still MY track, so I can still put it on, let's say a myspace page or a blog, and claim it as mine? Of course I would give credit to anyone who helps with the track.

Anyway, here it is:
http://users.skynet.be/ratarf/Soundtrack.mp3
Not bad...kinda reminds me a bit of Red Alert music.
AFAIK, since you made it, you can do anything at all you want to do with it.
Dunno if GPL v2 would fit music, perhaps a CC license would be better? Then again, I am the wrong person to ask about licenses, and what limitations each has.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

ratarf wrote:I'm still working on a soundtrack. This is just a preview so please do not consider it as final in any way.

It is a nice track. Looking forward to the final version.

Releasing something under the GPL does not mean you give up any of your rights to it, you just grant others the right to use it under the conditions mentioned in the GPL license. We prefer being allowed to use the data under "GPL version 2 or later version", because that is how everything else is licensed so it makes our life simpler.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

------------------------->

* How I see it Ratarf, it that there are 2 basic start positions, if you will.

* You compose for CAM such that the music is script-triggered much as a movie soundtrack is dove-tailed to what action is taking place.

* Or you compose for Skirmish or Multiplayer.

* For me they are very different. In my experience, I compose for Ski / Multiplayer with an eye to later extracting motifs for CAM that will be script-triggered.

* How you are describing what you'd like to do is classic composition by way of "narrative movements" and to link that up optimally, IMO, for Campaign requires segmentation. For Ski/MP it is straight-ahead one piece that is part of a play list, requiring no segmentation.

* The other approach is minimalist composition that can shine if looped over and over (this too can be achieved via motif extraction from a classic movement composition).

* These are decisions that rest squarely in your lap as much as what form the piece ultimately shapes up as that you find satisfying..

- Regards, RV :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

Ok, here's what I consider the final version of the track: http://users.skynet.be/ratarf/Ratarf%20 ... ssault.ogg
It hasn't changed too much since the last version. I Hope you all like it! I hereby release it under the GPL v2 license.
Thanks for the advice Rman, I decided to go for a Skirmisch/Multiplayer track, because the composition was almost finished and it felt like an unsegmentated piece.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

sounds good. :3
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

------------->

* Tight, in the cut, kwel changes, unusual sounds but all in the pocket - it's on my play list. :D

- Thanks for the gift of good music, RV :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

Any chance the track will make it to the game? Just being curious...
Zoloom
Trained
Trained

Post by Zoloom »

Great ! ;) I hope the final version will be better than that, i think she has her place in wz2100...(in my opinion).
French helper / Assistant Français (envoyez moi des messages privés si vous cherchez des réponses en français (dans la limite de mes capacités)).

Xfire : zoloom

"Software is like sex, it's better when it's free"
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

ratarf wrote:Any chance the track will make it to the game? Just being curious...
I don't see why not, it is just that I am not sure how all these extra music will be distributed.
Are we going to have the installer point to some repository of music that people can get, or do something else?

I know the windows installer has that option, but I am unsure how mac & linux installers will handle it.

When the FMVs go live, we also have to figure out a way to distribute those as well, and those are pretty bandwidth intensive.

To sum it up, yes, it will be made available, just got to work out the 'how' to do it.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

The new version is very nice. Well done! :D