New Map for v2.1 betas 2 & 3

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
NucNut
Trained
Trained

Re: New Map for v2.1 betas 2 & 3

Post by NucNut »

I've had this same clumping problem in any map with Aivolution, even concentrated arty and VTOL attacks fail to kick them in the butt enough to enable them to move...
REDAC Aerospace: Proving that aircraft and terrain don't mix since 2005 :D
XFire Profile: dogzeroonefox
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

OK, I've found that red in cockate stops operating at some point. It's not a pathway problem or a traffic jam. Even a direct attack doesn't move 'em (they'll fire back, but will not move to attack). But I notice that the cyborgs do remain active, so the prob is affecting the tank units only. (There is only one truck on the base, which is v unusual, but it is caught behind some wells, so I cannot judge whether it is active or not.) I've played the map in beta2 and it's not happening there. The only time an AI player behaves like that is when its base is being overwhelmed. As far as I understand the situation at present, I don't consider this a map problem. This map has functioned well in different versions of WZ and under a variety of mods, so the prob must lie with some change in b3.

gallion: I've tested for your probs in b3, but I'm not getting them. Can you try it in b2 or v10, if you have them installed? As you can see, there are other probs with this map under b3, so this will check if you probs are also b3 specific.

If anyone is interested, perhaps a trial of cockate's little cousin, cockpit, might or might not throw up similar probs. That would indicate that the map reading tolerances of b3 might be coarser than the earlier versions. For instances, gallion, there is only one Gateway on the map and the corner areas and some of the uplands areas might no longer appear in its zone, so any attempt to create structures there, by you or WZ, would lead to a crash.

A final general observation: gameplay under b3 is very sparse. Usually the pit is crawling with attacking units and you spend a lot of time making sure your main defences are holding up. I've played cockate in b3 for over two hours and did not sustain one rush from any player. Again, as I have suggested, try it in an earlier version of WZ to see the difference. It might help to try the cockate32 (compiled in WE32) if you are using the first cockate upload(manually recompiled from WDG).

adios
neogto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by neogto »

zydonk wrote:OK, I've found that red in cockate stops operating at some point. It's not a pathway problem or a traffic jam. Even a direct attack doesn't move 'em (they'll fire back, but will not move to attack). But I notice that the cyborgs do remain active, so the prob is affecting the tank units only. (There is only one truck on the base, which is v unusual, but it is caught behind some wells, so I cannot judge whether it is active or not.) I've played the map in beta2 and it's not happening there. The only time an AI player behaves like that is when its base is being overwhelmed. As far as I understand the situation at present, I don't consider this a map problem. This map has functioned well in different versions of WZ and under a variety of mods, so the prob must lie with some change in b3.

gallion: I've tested for your probs in b3, but I'm not getting them. Can you try it in b2 or v10, if you have them installed? As you can see, there are other probs with this map under b3, so this will check if you probs are also b3 specific.

If anyone is interested, perhaps a trial of cockate's little cousin, cockpit, might or might not throw up similar probs. That would indicate that the map reading tolerances of b3 might be coarser than the earlier versions. For instances, gallion, there is only one Gateway on the map and the corner areas and some of the uplands areas might no longer appear in its zone, so any attempt to create structures there, by you or WZ, would lead to a crash.

A final general observation: gameplay under b3 is very sparse. Usually the pit is crawling with attacking units and you spend a lot of time making sure your main defences are holding up. I've played cockate in b3 for over two hours and did not sustain one rush from any player. Again, as I have suggested, try it in an earlier version of WZ to see the difference. It might help to try the cockate32 (compiled in WE32) if you are using the first cockate upload(manually recompiled from WDG).

adios
i was trying to explain this a wile ago to one of the mods and i had no idea what caused it... after a reinstall and a punch of messing with stuff it worked but idn what i did to fix it
Kreuvf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kreuvf »

Cockate: Individual tiles can be rotated, so that those ugly edges fit in the canyon. Someone/the map-maker should fix this :D (see first pic in per's post, the narrow passages)
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

hello

neogto: which problem were you trying to fix, that you managed to fix? For the record, I played red thru' in cockate with no trouble, so I assume it is not a Gateway prob. (If it was, it should have occurred elsewhere at the corners of the map.) iac, I'll play cockate with non-red and study red's gameplay more carefully.

kreuvf: the canyon runs diag to the squares, so tiling is awkward. A full rock tile could be used, but that would be uglier. In any case, it doesn't interfere with gameplay.

But talking of tiling anomalies, there are gaps in cockpit that allow players access to areas not intended for play. This is not a serious matter, but I have corrected it just so the map plays as intended. Incidentally, I've discovered an even slighter tiling error in cockate, which I will correct itnf.

roger and out
Attachments
4c-cockpit32.zip
slight tile correction (for the perfectionist)
(17.66 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
Kreuvf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kreuvf »

zydonk wrote:kreuvf: the canyon runs diag to the squares, so tiling is awkward.
This reads like "It's diagonal, so there is no possibility to avoid that behaviour". If you meant this, please read this tutorial/explanation on the map editor (use Ctrl+F and search the site for "Set Tri Direction"). Thanks to lav_coyote25 for storing/archiving this data.

I recommend you to use this feature and see the in-game effect afterwards. By using this triangle direction you can get rid of every of those ugly edges. :D
zydonk wrote:In any case, it doesn't interfere with gameplay.
I doubt this. As projectiles are hit-based anything in their way can stop them, even those ugly edges.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

actually kreuvf - that was the 16 bit tutorial... the 32 bit is here = http://docs.wz2100.net/map%20tutorials/ ... index.html

and scroll about half way down the page to this heading:

Help Menu:

About EditWorld - This brings up a dialog box showing which version and build of EditWorld is running - there are no help topics available.

Icons . Individual icon descriptions
its the description of the icons section your wanting to read over.

dont forget to read the whole document though there is a wealth of information there - i realize its quite long and detailed - thing is - if you understand what your reading you will have few problems.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Well, well, so that's what that curious icon is for. It's on p13 of my much annotated manual (which comes with WE16). Certainly makes a difference.

It's a good day when you learn something new. Thanks both of you...

cheerio
neogto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by neogto »

zydonk wrote:hello

neogto: which problem were you trying to fix, that you managed to fix? For the record, I played red thru' in cockate with no trouble, so I assume it is not a Gateway prob. (If it was, it should have occurred elsewhere at the corners of the map.) iac, I'll play cockate with non-red and study red's gameplay more carefully.

kreuvf: the canyon runs diag to the squares, so tiling is awkward. A full rock tile could be used, but that would be uglier. In any case, it doesn't interfere with gameplay.

But talking of tiling anomalies, there are gaps in cockpit that allow players access to areas not intended for play. This is not a serious matter, but I have corrected it just so the map plays as intended. Incidentally, I've discovered an even slighter tiling error in cockate, which I will correct itnf.

roger and out
units just siting there even when shot at... thay would fire but thay wouldn't move unless i told them to and i had to click almost next to them to get them to move if i click far away thay would ignore it
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Hello

Thanks for the resp, neogto. This might be a pathfinding prob that's occurring in the later stages of 8 player games. I notice that one of the AI players is set to produce zillions of VTOLs (happens in four-handers as well), and when these get going they seem to clog up the engine. Curious kind of imbalancing.

Anyway, one more map. allcross is Map39 from the WZ WDG. Don't know how it played, but it doesn't seem to be a mission map. A messy slow-burner that will keep you busy for hours.

auf wiederschreiben

EDIT by Kreuvf: attachment removed
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

zydonk wrote: Anyway, one more map. allcross is Map39 from the WZ WDG. Don't know how it played, but it doesn't seem to be a mission map. A messy slow-burner that will keep you busy for hours.
This looks exactly like the Clover skirmish map?
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Ah, so that's what it is. If it's a duplication, then perhaps it should be removed? I assume the Moderator can do that.

adios

EDIT by Kreuvf: removed it :)
Kreuvf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kreuvf »

Long ago (2003-10-08 :X) I made a list (in German..) that contained information on every map in the warzone.wdg (for every mapXX-directory) (scroll a bit down to see the listing). I could translate this into English, if you want.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

No, it's fine as it is. Had already recognised most of them. Have been playing Clover and Mizmaze under new names for a number of years! (So long since I played the originals, I'd forgotten about them.)

ciao
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Kreuvf wrote:Long ago (2003-10-08 :X) I made a list (in German..) that contained information on every map in the warzone.wdg (for every mapXX-directory) (scroll a bit down to see the listing). I could translate this into English, if you want.

yes please kreuvf - i would appreciate this very much.