Map - thepit2006 (work in progress) - total redo

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Map - thepit2006 (work in progress) - total redo

Post by lav_coyote25 »

have totaly redone the map of thepit... is 8 player and is not in anyway completed - is for testing at this moment so dont tell me it looks unfinished - i already know this... what i need to have done is a torture test using multiplayer - if possible.

let me know what needs to change. thanks.
Attachments
thepit_2006e.jpg
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 02 Dec 2006, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: Map - thepit2006 (work in progress) - total redo

Post by DevUrandom »

The addon.lev will work with 2.0, but in 2.1 Warzone will go mad, because of the "\"...
I guess this is created with Qamly's mapeditor? So for 2.1 we badly need a new one...
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 02 Dec 2006, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

updated thepit2006 to revision  (i)

deleted the old  (e) revision. ;D

have done this so your able to see the steps ( that i take - not everyone does the same.) in map making.

will use this for all revisions.
Attachments
thepit2006i.jpg
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 02 Dec 2006, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

deleted old version  (i)  new version is  (p).

completed all base cliff textures - started the center hills and mounds.
Attachments
thepit2006p.jpg
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 08 Dec 2006, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Deleted old revision.

map now stands at thepit2006U...      this may possibly be the last or second to last revision. 

need feedback on the playability etc. on both sigle player skirmish and multiplayer if able to  - thanks.
Attachments
thepit2006U.zip
(92.72 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
thepit2006U.jpg
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

I just ran a game with 7 AI's to stress-test various changes I made,the snow title looks more impressive than the old 'dune' title,though seems the AI only built 1 out of 4 of the oilderrick 'arrays' and they rarely build other stuff on that map too.

Besides,that map refuses to run for the cvs/svn version by default,I had to change the path names in .lev file to unix path(from '\' to '/').

Here is the modified 8c-thepit2006U.addon.lev(changed all '\' I can find to '/'),hope you wont mind that I changed it without asking you for permission.
Attachments
8c-thepit2006U.addon.zip
(373 Bytes) Downloaded 476 times
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Watermelon wrote: I just ran a game with 7 AI's to stress-test various changes I made,the snow title looks more impressive than the old 'dune' title,though seems the AI only built 1 out of 4 of the oilderrick 'arrays' and they rarely build other stuff on that map too.

Besides,that map refuses to run for the cvs/svn version by default,I had to change the path names in .lev file to unix path(from '\' to '/').

Here is the modified 8c-thepit2006U.addon.lev(changed all '\' I can find to '/'),hope you wont mind that I changed it without asking you for permission.

didnt realize there was a problem with that...thanks...  ;D
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

That's what I promised you some time ago. ;)
http://wz2100.net/forum/http://localhos ... 1019#p1019

But actually we don't necessarily need a new editor, even though this would be nice.
A converter script would ok, as it seems. I have some sed-magic here, if someone's interested. (It is the same with which I converted the svn-data.)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

* Interesting changes, Lav. :)

* Snow texture looks good from all angles save one (wherein the tile edges clearly show - I wanna say @ a 45 degree "tilt").

* Having the Oil wells out of the Command Center visible range makes critical quick deployment / exploration (not a "Turtle" friendly device) for resources.

* I waited 5 minutes before clearing the initial Fog-of-War perimeter and it was already TOO late ! 2 A.I.s attacked my derricks upon completion and very rapidly advanced on my Command Center - Game Over !!

* Maybe I'm rusty or maybe I just have to get into a "Click-Fest" mood and employ a bit of "Rush" modus (I thought you hated Rush 'tactics', btw).

* Anyhow, these are just very preliminary comments, nothing more than an immediate first impression, and thus likely somewhat misguided and unfair to your overall design intent.

* I daresay, I'll have to play with it some more to appreciate it in a more fullsome manner. :D

* On a minor note: Do you have a "Cliff" tile that has a snow-blend on all 4-edges such that you donot get that perfect straight line at the top of your cliffs ?

* On a side bar: There was a recent thread about the PSX "Drive" mode...... Just select any unit and move it from point A to point B then press the "Spacebar" - a quite lovely, immersive, POV will ensue. ;)

L8rs, vg

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Rman Virgil wrote: * Interesting changes, Lav. :)
* Snow texture looks good from all angles save one (wherein the tile edges clearly show - I wanna say @ a 45 degree "tilt").

yes - hopefully with the game being worked on as it is - this will not happen too much longer.

* Having the Oil wells out of the Command Center visible range makes critical quick deployment / exploration (not a "Turtle" friendly device) for resources.

actually it is quite turtle friendly (read as defensive tactics) - thing is to explore rather quickly your surroundings.

* I waited 5 minutes before clearing the initial Fog-of-War perimeter and it was already TOO late ! 2 A.I.s attacked my derricks upon completion and very rapidly advanced on my Command Center - Game Over !!

factory - power module - research - build trucks between factory and power module..etc.  2 trucks to normal N.E.W.S headings each....build walls with small cannon hardpoints- sensors every so often - research mortars... etc... within 15 to 25 mins a suitable defensible base can be had. oh!,  and dont forget the AA!!!

* Maybe I'm rusty or maybe I just have to get into a "Click-Fest" mood and employ a bit of "Rush" modus (I thought you hated Rush 'tactics', btw).

rush dont play here - following the above generic rules - have held off mass attacks of tracked heavy cannon followed by hover stuff.

* Anyhow, these are just very preliminary comments, nothing more than an immediate first impression, and thus likely somewhat misguided and unfair to your overall design intent.

nope - they are exactly what i was hoping for....

* I daresay, I'll have to play with it some more to appreciate it in a more fullsome manner. :D
* On a minor note: Do you have a "Cliff" tile that has a snow-blend on all 4-edges such that you donot get that perfect straight line at the top of your cliffs ?

nope. i dont.  its not finished as there is still some hard edges i want to smooth off.

* On a side bar: There was a recent thread about the PSX "Drive" mode...... Just select any unit and move it from point A to point B then press the "Spacebar" - a quite lovely, immersive, POV will ensue. ;)
L8rs, vg

yes - have used that to find the hard edges i was just speaking about. ;)