Skybox

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Skybox

Post by Per »

Chojun - to make a long story short - we aim to distribute Warzone through Linux distributions, game magazines, and other commercial venues. A non-commercial license will prohibit distribution through such venues, and even hosting on sites that use advertisement, such as sourceforge, may contravene non-commercial licenses, depending on whom you speak to and the phase of the moon. For replies on this particular topic, please make a new thread, thank you very much.

Now, back on topic, I made another attempt at a skybox with a red sky:

It has mountains as a backdrop, which means it cannot "drift" like the current clouds but has to be static. But I think it works better, overall.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Terminator wrote: Grims Sky pretty nice > http://warzone2100.strategyplanet.games ... ?p=405#405
* Indeed it is.... & that's the intergration I'm talking 'bout between Sky & perspective landscape...... totally opens up the game to true spectacular vistas & an immersion factor that trounces the orginal mist-fog... :)

* Did you notice where the screen cap came from ? ;)

* And doesn't it just make chomp at bit to create maps ?

- RV :D

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Per wrote:

It has mountains as a backdrop, which means it cannot "drift" like the current clouds but has to be static. But I think it works better, overall.
* Works better, much.

* Quite beautiful too.

- RV :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Kamaze wrote: My favorite: http://blender-archi.tuxfamily.org/Imag ... nset_3.jpg

But the license is CC BY-SA-NC
We can still ask the copyright holder...
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Per wrote: Now, back on topic, I made another attempt at a skybox with a red sky:
Cute! :)
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

Wow, pretty nice... much better then the others
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Chojun wrote: Emphasis on non-commercial?  Are you suggesting that the non-commercial part would prevent you or this project from using the image?  Is this a commercial project?  Do you ever hope to be?
No, no and no.
Like Per said in his post, it would prevent the Distribution over some distributors and magazines.

@Rman
I know terragen, its a nice tool and i played around with it a while ago,...
But i never got such beautiful landscapes as shown in some images... :(

@Per
The last sky box looks very awesome and fits -in my opinion- very nice to the Arizona theme.
About the moving problem, we may could trick a bit and make a cut along the hills, stretch the sky to fit the lowest point again and make the sky moving while the hills are fixed.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Osmic
Greenhorn

Post by Osmic »

I think the red sky looks best out of all the above with the black fog. If only there were red specular highlights it would totally roxor my you-know-whats.
No fighting in the war room!
Ianator
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ianator »

Osmic wrote: I think the red sky looks best out of all the above with the black fog. If only there were red specular highlights it would totally roxor my you-know-whats.
Soxorz?

Anyways, that sky looks bro-awesome. Once we get Drive and multi-turrets, the experience will be complete.
You defeated the Signature! You earned 27 experience points! You found 42 gold!
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Looks nice, from Blue skys to mars type skys. :)

Now if anyone plays the game @ that angle, and doesn't get beaten to a pulp.... :D

(yeah, same comments I had about the other skybox still applies here, not that there is anything wrong with it mind you.) :)
and it ends here.
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Post by gerard_ »

I detached the sky from the mountains. Looks almost the same except that the sky is moving. Will need a lot of cleanup and tweaking to be suitable for inclusion in the game.

Place the textures into data/texpages.
Attachments
page-29-mountains.png
page-28-sky.png

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

It's interesting how such a simple illusion adds so much dimension to the game.

The open sky creates too much of a sense of hope.  We need more gloom in Warzone  ;)
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

Chojun wrote: It's interesting how such a simple illusion adds so much dimension to the game.

The open sky creates too much of a sense of hope.  We need more gloom in Warzone  ;)
not only that, nuclear winter would leave the atmosphere full of dust and other crap, defracting/abrorbing/reflecting light greatly.
killing off shorter wavelengths first.
basically, get a picture of some horrible looking storm/snow clouds, open them in an editor that filters RGB, and reduce the blue.
in fact... get rid if it all together, your talking yellow, orange, red and possibly a bit of grey/green if you want accurate pallet.
as a possible lack of plants would leave co2 levels 100% FUBAR, so a 'martian' looking sky would be most likely.
MOTHERBOARD - MSI P7N PLATINUM¦-¦PROCESSOR - C2D E7300 @ 4.00GHZ
MEMORY - 4 Gig (2x2gig) ddr2 1066mhz¦-¦OPERATING SYSTEM - WINDOWS 7 (ULT)
GRAPHICS - BFG GTX 260 OCX (requires ForceWare drivers for good openGL)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

* Ahhh...  I have given it lots of thought to Pumpkin's Scenario Extrapolation for the Post Nuke Holocaust world of WZ 2100 and the prognostication has more holes than a 5 lb hunk of Swiss cheese... & is about as "realistic" as the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz. ;)

* THE Major problem with Nuke Radioactive Fallout is on the Food Chain

* And if you can deal with THAT in a way that creates "a willing suspension of disbelief" then ANYTHING is a go when it comes to the panoply of colors you can choose for a Skybox.

* Wikipedia has a decent & up-to-date article on Nuke Fallout & Radiation HERE if you wanna get the best "GUESS WORK" on forecasting such a scenario.

* And do remember that the REAL & sole basis for the fun engagement in WZ is that as gamers we like to thoughtfully & methodically build-design stuff & then go blow other peeps chit up with tanks (esp.) & do so with pizzazz, flair & a sense of style unique to the moments Heat of Battle immersion. Period.

RV :D

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

Rman Virgil wrote: * Ahhh...  I have given it lots of thought to Pumpkin's Scenario Extrapolation for the Post Nuke Holocaust world of WZ 2100 and the prognostication has more holes than a 5 lb hunk of Swiss cheese... & is about as "realistic" as the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz. ;)

* THE Major problem with Nuke Radioactive Fallout is on the Food Chain

* And if you can deal with THAT in a way that creates "a willing suspension of disbelief" then ANYTHING is a go when it comes to the panoply of colors you can choose for a Skybox.
easy, the use of cultured bacteria to produce protein/fibre stodge in labs, with synthesized vitamins added.
and if your real posh, E-number enhancement for colour & flavour.

we are already capable of doing that, and there are other ways of creating synthetic sustenance as well, its just you probably wouldnt want to eat um unless they where the entirety of your menu.
MOTHERBOARD - MSI P7N PLATINUM¦-¦PROCESSOR - C2D E7300 @ 4.00GHZ
MEMORY - 4 Gig (2x2gig) ddr2 1066mhz¦-¦OPERATING SYSTEM - WINDOWS 7 (ULT)
GRAPHICS - BFG GTX 260 OCX (requires ForceWare drivers for good openGL)