Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Prot
Trained
Trained

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by Prot »

i quickly look into message.cpp on line 757, i found this:
ASSERT(ptr, "Message %s not found, run with --debug=wz to get a list of all known messages", pName);
block of code:

Code: Select all

/* Get the view data identified by the name */
VIEWDATA *getViewData(const char *pName)
{
    VIEWDATA *ptr = apsViewData.value(pName);
    if (!ptr) // dump for debugging
    {
        QMap<QString, VIEWDATA *>::iterator iter = apsViewData.begin();
        while (iter != apsViewData.constEnd())
        {
            VIEWDATA *psViewData = iter.value();
            debug(LOG_WZ, "\t%s", psViewData->pName);
            ++iter;
        }
    }
    ASSERT(ptr, "Message %s not found, run with --debug=wz to get a list of all known messages", pName);
    return ptr;
}
It seems wz had to write error about message, but it crash in there.
Lord_Kane
Trained
Trained

Post by Lord_Kane »

Any updates to EB yet?
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

No I won't work on this anymore, I would only work on merging this with contingency so I'll probably only post in that thread from now on but I've stopped working on that too because of the 128 turret limit.

Berserk_Cyborg pointed out this is probably due to MAX_SYSTEM_COMPONENTS = 128 on line 72 of design.cpp

https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... gn.cpp#L72

Sometime in the next few weeks, probably closer to christmas I need to compile WZ and see if changing it to 256 is stable and fixes the turret limit problem. Last time I tried compiling WZ I had problems with Qt dependencies and I already have enough compile problems to troubleshoot IRL.

Assuming that fixes the turret limit problem then I need to bug Per and Berserk to make the change and then I'll resume working on EB + contingency.
Lord_Kane
Trained
Trained

Post by Lord_Kane »

could you do at least one final pass on EB like some what downgrade the double h cannon damage? and then go "HERE IS THE FINAL VERSION LOSERS"
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Lord_Kane wrote:could you do at least one final pass on EB like some what downgrade the double h cannon damage? and then go "HERE IS THE FINAL VERSION LOSERS"

There isn't anything to change really. The twin heavy cannon isn't that unbalanced and you can manually change the values in the .json file if you want to adjust it. If we want to nerf a twin heavy cannon then reducing the damage isn't the way to do so, it should have the same damage as single heavy cannon. To properly nerf it, we can increase the weight to make it slower or increase the build time and costs.

And I wouldn't call anyone here a loser. There's no reason for inflammatory remarks. I do realize that I come off as very dogmatic which might be interpreted as being insensitive but that's only because I know wz and computers very well. Also because almost everything I write on the Internet is tl:dr and sometimes I just stop caring about how to tactfully word things. I also have a personal vendetta against Git that sometimes reflects when I'm writing. I have to use Git IRL and dislike it very much but ultimately the end goal is to make the best version of WZ.
Lord_Kane
Trained
Trained

Post by Lord_Kane »

MIH-XTC wrote:
Lord_Kane wrote:could you do at least one final pass on EB like some what downgrade the double h cannon damage? and then go "HERE IS THE FINAL VERSION LOSERS"

There isn't anything to change really. The twin heavy cannon isn't that unbalanced and you can manually change the values in the .json file if you want to adjust it. If we want to nerf a twin heavy cannon then reducing the damage isn't the way to do so, it should have the same damage as single heavy cannon. To properly nerf it, we can increase the weight to make it slower or increase the build time and costs.

And I wouldn't call anyone here a loser. There's no reason for inflammatory remarks. I do realize that I come off as very dogmatic which might be interpreted as being insensitive but that's only because I know wz and computers very well. Also because almost everything I write on the Internet is tl:dr and sometimes I just stop caring about how to tactfully word things. I also have a personal vendetta against Git that sometimes reflects when I'm writing. I have to use Git IRL and dislike it very much but ultimately the end goal is to make the best version of WZ.

Ah, I felt there were still things you just wanted to touch up on and release a final version.

also the "losers" comment is meant in jest and is not serious.
Lord_Kane
Trained
Trained

Post by Lord_Kane »

MIH-XTC wrote:

Can you add a message for the twin heavy cannon and call this verison of EB complete? because I am hoping to introduce the mod to some friends who I got into WZ.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

I moved this project to Github (finally) because it's too large to attach to the forum now. Check the repo for the latest that's compatible with master.

https://github.com/jbreija/Warzone2100EB

I merged the stats from EB with Art Revolution and Contingency mod. I'm making stats for all of the new models from AR and contingency without replacing the existing ones so there will be many more choices in bodies, propulsions and weapons.
Prot
Trained
Trained

Post by Prot »

I finally managed to run this mod without crashes, on the latest master branch of the game.
Take it from github EB-Mod.wz
Funny to play, given that i'm was not ready for new stats and the first battle lost to the Nexus on a hard level. Very interesting mod, would be sad if he stops in development.

BTW It is normal that my builders are trying to build me a cyborg factory, without my order?
And why is the FPS game is very low. Probably because of the many different models of guns and bodies, or modifications to improve the graphics?
Also, I'd like to know better this mod, and it is possible to write algorithms for bonecrusher, that he could play here too.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Prot wrote:I finally managed to run this mod without crashes, on the latest master branch of the game.
Take it from github EB-Mod.wz
Funny to play, given that i'm was not ready for new stats and the first battle lost to the Nexus on a hard level. Very interesting mod, would be sad if he stops in development.

I just realized that non-fatal errors in Windows are fatal in UNIX so I did not know this mod caused crashes for UNIX people. Namely, the scavengers cause the game to crash in UNIX because they are making invalid templates because of the turret overflow problem. I just started testing WZ in UNIX and it runs much slower and choppy but I’m also using a virtual machine.

Prot wrote: BTW It is normal that my builders are trying to build me a cyborg factory, without my order?
And why is the FPS game is very low. Probably because of the many different models of guns and bodies, or modifications to improve the graphics?
Also, I'd like to know better this mod, and it is possible to write algorithms for bonecrusher, that he could play here too.
No that’s a glitch I fixed awhile back but forgot to re-implement. Basically in Nexus.slo I made a function for building each base structure but for some reason these functions are also applying to human players, I don’t know why. It only happens with cyborg factories and research centers even though the other structures use the exact same code.

I put a fix in by saying only build structure if playerName == Nexus but then “autogame on” only works if the player is named Nexus, otherwise "autogame" will only build 1 of each structure. I just need to add this statement “if playerName == Nexus” back into Nexus.slo. Somehow it got removed (coincidentally I re-added this in yesterday before you mention this so it’s already fixed).

I think FPS might be slow due to scavs. I increased trigger frequency on scavengers so that they build structures and droids much faster. I made ultimate scavengers very challenging but not overwhelming. They will truck rush (crane rush?) and build towers in your base. It’s too bad they cause fatal errors in UNIX so you cannot test them out. In windows they work.

I plan to make a video soon with commentary explaining how stat modding works.
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

MIH-XTC wrote:[...] I plan to make a video soon with commentary explaining how stat modding works.
Excellent!

If you need a place to upload, I am happy to give you the login details for my YouTube channel.

In case you record on Unix, you could also use my FFmpeg instructions.
Prot
Trained
Trained

Post by Prot »

One thing: https://youtu.be/IcTMF4soT94?t=19m47s
This is a bug in unit design ? I choose rockets, but get some kind a broken needle or other guns, and template just dissapear.
Then whole game i cannot build any rockets and loose.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Prot wrote:One thing: https://youtu.be/IcTMF4soT94?t=19m47s
This is a bug in unit design ? I choose rockets, but get some kind a broken needle or other guns, and template just dissapear.
Then whole game i cannot build any rockets and loose.
Yea that is the bug that is stopping development on this mod. The game can only load 256 turrets from weapon.json but I have somewhere round 400+ so many weapons are not designable due to this. Any weapon that comes alphabetically after Mortarmk2 is currently cut off which is all of the Rockets. I can't make stats for non-designable turrets so I have to debug this problem in source.

I verified this problem is not caused by mod. I took regular weapons.json and added 250 dummy turrets and weapon overflow still happens on 257th turret.

so turret 255 = turret 255
turret 256 = turret 256
turret 257 = turret 0
turret 258 = turret 1
turret 259 = turret 2
etc...

On design screen the turret appears correctly in menu on right hand side but once selected it appears wrong in main design. Even though it appears wrong, it still has correct stats in the 4 bars below. Also the weapon has correct name when mouse hovers over turret. I think the problem is with the design screen and not the loading of the stats but even AI droids have mismatch weapon. I think it's somewhere around line 3107 in design.cpp but I need to trace variable initialization.
Attachments
Turret Overflow Mod.wz
fake weapons.json to recreate turret problem
(14.42 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Prot
Trained
Trained

Post by Prot »

Are you opened the bug report about this? As far as I can see "--debug=all" say nothing about this problem, i try to trace it by hand.. Well see.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Prot wrote:Are you opened the bug report about this? As far as I can see "--debug=all" say nothing about this problem, i try to trace it by hand.. Well see.

I did make a ticket, very hastily and did not use very good verbiage to elaborate. It's closed now. Technically it's not a bug because it doesn't affect the game as-is but rather a limitation.

It would be awesome if you could figure it out :) I'm a weekend warrior only so I'll take another look on Saturday. I'm just grep'ing through src (grep -nIR someString) for tracing. Not sure if there are better ways/tools to do it.