*New Pangaea SP* - combat of a different sort.

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: *New Pangaea SP* - combat of a different sort.

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Oh MAN I gotta give this a spin. :D
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Be forwarned, Goth. If this was a pizza, the anchoives would outweigh the pepperoni. :lol2:

Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Since I actually LIKE anchovies, this'll be fun. :D
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Cool. :D

Just to refresh and recall...... 8)

Another part of my design intent, which I clearly put out there from the outset, was that this was also to be a Sandbox for fun and experimentation. :ninja:

In pizza terms, that means if you don't care for the anchoives (or wanna try something different with an experimental mindset) you can easily replace them with any combination of more pepperoni, or added to, instead of - applewood smoked sausage, salami, artichokes, pinnapple, ham, eggplant, groundbeef, bbq chicken tenders, green peppers, jalapenos, onions.....or whatever suited your curiosity or interest, for fun or experiment. Heck, if more ambitious, you could exchange the tomato based pizza sauce for pesto and a layer of clams inplace of terra firma critters.... :idea:

This Sandbox customization would be especially easy to carry out with the "anchoive" SAR installations, to create a very different gameplay experience to suit your own ends - fun and experiment wise. :3

Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Played it, and I have to say, it's got something for everyone.

Used the recommended settings, Nullbot on Insanity mode. And yes, using the unified Contingency/Cam4/USM/ScavMini/Mech/Extra Objects dataset. (I rather dislike stock Warzone now, to be honest). I really need to come up with a better name for that unified dataset than the above... :3

It's pure insanity, chaos, dark matter, whatever one wishes to call it. Nice job!
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

WUDS that, Goth ! ? Used your Warzone Über Data Set.... that alone would make for epic immersion. :3

Tanks for taking "NPSP" for a spin.... and with WUDS, no less. Know you got your hands full with CAM 4 and taking the time means a lot. :) (Also, pushing all those new graphics without a hitch is heartening to hear in light of a pixel buffer overflow issue that came up in the later stages of my deving.)

Looking to continue with PTing your CAM 4. Leaving for the Big Apple in a few days so if not before the trip, then definitely when I return to HQ in DEN, CO. Only travel with my phablet Note 3 (soon to UG to the Note 4 Edge). Maybe someday there will be a Droid port of WZ I can take anywhere, play anywhere. Think that alone would immediately increase the fan base by a couple hundred thousand, at least. :D
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Ahh yes, the City that never sleeps. :D Warzone for Droid would bring a lot of fresh faces indeed. There would be a few technical challenges to overcome, but I don't really see any showstoppers preventing the port to ARM. I'm not the one to answer that question though.

Concerning WUDS: Be advised that it still spits out assertions here and there. Building Mechs (still) causes problems; and yes, I put them into their own namespaces so as to let them co-exist with Cyborgs. Oh, I didn't mention that part, did I ... :3 WUDS is not ready for prime time, nor even in the same neighborhood as ready. I have a ton of stuff half-baked, not the least of which is porting everything over to 3.2 since the upgrades to the JS API alone make the task worthy and almost necessary.

Remember also that I have the idea of using prefixes which would allow for different research types (Classic, Contingency, Scavenger, X-Mod, etc) to be used at the same time within the same Skirmish/MP game. I'd still like to fully implement that. The Contingency part, ie the one Campaign 4 is using, is fully finished framework-wise and now simply needs balancing, stress- and fine-tuning. The other research modes can be scripted in easily enough in the same manner as Contingency's has been. :)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:......

Remember also that I have the idea of using prefixes which would allow for different research types (Classic, Contingency, Scavenger, X-Mod, etc) to be used at the same time within the same Skirmish/MP game. I'd still like to fully implement that. The Contingency part, ie the one Campaign 4 is using, is fully finished framework-wise and now simply needs balancing, stress- and fine-tuning. The other research modes can be scripted in easily enough in the same manner as Contingency's has been. :)
Sounds very ambitious. But let me restate my understanding to make sure.

Do you mean in the same MP game one player could follow a "Classic" research line (aka, stock / ie. rockets) and an other player could follow a purely "Contingency" research line ? If so, the way the anti-cheat netcode works, would this cause desync even if all have WUDS installed ? :hmm:

Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Do you mean in the same MP game one player could follow a "Classic" research line (aka, stock / ie. rockets) and an other player could follow a purely "Contingency" research line ? If so, the way the anti-cheat netcode works, would this cause desync even if all have WUDS installed ?
That's the plan, and avoiding desynchs whilst not tripping the cheat alarm would be the real magic. It might be one of those mods that would require only human players in MP mode. But I've yet to encounter any problems with NEXUS using it in Cam 4 -- and I've got NEXUS doing all sorts of research, and we'd know immediately (in the form of a crash or assert) if something was amiss. :P
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

* First the Twitter version of my post...
Black Project's new "Rebalance Mod" lends fresh spicey flavors to "New Pangaea SP's" peculiar offerings. Run with "USM". Other mods I have not tried.

* Next, the original language version from the core journaling which is native to my mindset , process and sensibilities formed well before Web 2.0's design indoctrination for the not really all that different capitalism ('cept for it's pretentious utopian veneer) along with its one to one marketing mantra worth billions in IPO valuations and ultimately based on Orwellian "free" offerings.

For me the decision making Game Play (GP) of an RTS should trigger, and wholely inhabit, the intersection where intellect, soma and emotion overlap inseperable, creating a complete suspension of disbelief. From out of that trance-like suspension, if design forms fully serve function, will flow a voluntary effort driven to engage (& overcome) one unnecessary obstacle after another, which is what makes for a game construct apart from RL where obstacles just are, often by happenstance, and where the temptation is rather to subvert, ignore or deny than take in with wholehearted conviction.

WZ GP, by its unfinished default design (especially in the dovetailed areas of grouped unit's command & control mechanics / GUI), is weighted to the intellectual component by its massive tech tree choices, economy management, timing interlocks between them and this trinity's rote apprehension.

"New Pangaea's" structure is designed to shift that weighting to a greater distribution within the somatic and emotional realms of combat by first invoking the hardwired aesthetics of landscape, then expanding the range of viable maneuver options (including the asymmetric), also reconfiguring power supply lines and, lastly, by making choices within the ethical dilemmas of the narrative baseline, integral to any triumphant outcome.

Black Project's new "Rebalance" mod is a reforming of the intellectual component of WZ which thereby renders any rote learning of the stock version somewhat moot and, as such, adds fresh, new, non-rote flavors to the GP experiments of "New Pangaea SP" which, to quickly recap, are roundly situated by design at the rubicon of somatic and emotional dynamics.