wei's Maps

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Post Reply
wei2912
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 17
Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 05:14

wei's Maps

Post by wei2912 » 28 May 2014, 15:44

I have a couple of maps (actually, just one) that I made quite some time ago, and would like to share them here.

Feel free to give constructive criticism :) I might create more maps if I have time to do so, but no promises.

All maps are under Public License.

8p:

8c-Bridge - 6 oils per player, symmetrical map.
Last edited by wei2912 on 28 May 2014, 16:00, edited 4 times in total.

wei2912
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 17
Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 05:14

Re: wei's Maps

Post by wei2912 » 28 May 2014, 15:56

Here's the first map:

Image
8c-Bridge - 6 oils per player, symmetrical map. Best played in teams, either 2v2v2v2 or 4v4.

Special thanks to Subsentient/bendib for helping me to improve this map and scavfan + everyone else (who i've forgotten) who has helped test this map.
Attachments
8c-Bridge.wz
(25.76 KiB) Downloaded 170 times

User avatar
Hesterax
Trained
Trained
Posts: 282
Joined: 11 Jan 2014, 13:32

Re: wei's Maps

Post by Hesterax » 29 May 2014, 14:07

Great maps, design is good though I can see some balance issues for example; 4 of the 8 players are at a large disadvantage due to having 2 spots to defend against while the other players can hide behind their allies base.
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.

User avatar
montetank
Regular
Regular
Posts: 632
Joined: 14 Feb 2013, 00:05
Location: Montenegro

Re: wei's Maps

Post by montetank » 29 May 2014, 14:48

Hesterax wrote:Great maps, design is good though I can see some balance issues for example; 4 of the 8 players are at a large disadvantage due to having 2 spots to defend against while the other players can hide behind their allies base.
8c-Bridge is a 2v2v2v2 map in quarters rotation. I cant see any disadvantage for a team. But it would be nice to see some more tiles. It is a map made with the generator in flame. And thats ok. But it would be nice to see more details on the terrain. However-nice to see a new map-maker :)
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.

User avatar
montetank
Regular
Regular
Posts: 632
Joined: 14 Feb 2013, 00:05
Location: Montenegro

Re: wei's Maps

Post by montetank » 29 May 2014, 14:59

wei2912 wrote:Here's the first map:

Image
8c-Bridge - 6 oils per player, symmetrical map. Best played in teams, either 2v2v2v2 or 4v4.

Special thanks to Subsentient/bendib for helping me to improve this map and scavfan + everyone else (who i've forgotten) who has helped test this map.
Hello wei2912-try to work with the smooth and change rate. You made this map with the generator (size 128 x128). Thats ok. I also use the generator. But try to change something-for example the map-size. Find some other tiles. Only tile nr.22 is a little bit boring. And try to use more features. Nice to see a new mapmaker :)
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.

wei2912
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 17
Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 05:14

Re: wei's Maps

Post by wei2912 » 29 May 2014, 15:11

Hesterax wrote:Great maps, design is good though I can see some balance issues for example; 4 of the 8 players are at a large disadvantage due to having 2 spots to defend against while the other players can hide behind their allies base.
Thanks! Regarding the balance issue, 4v4 should still be fine, since both sides would be balanced.
montetank wrote:8c-Bridge is a 2v2v2v2 map in quarters rotation. I cant see any disadvantage for a team. But it would be nice to see some more tiles. It is a map made with the generator in flame. And thats ok. But it would be nice to see more details on the terrain. However-nice to see a new map-maker :)
montetank wrote:Hello wei2912-try to work with the smooth and change rate. You made this map with the generator (size 128 x128). Thats ok. I also use the generator. But try to change something-for example the map-size. Find some other tiles. Only tile nr.22 is a little bit boring. And try to use more features. Nice to see a new mapmaker :)
Actually, this map wasn't made with the generator in FlaME, I just chose the map size to be 128x128 since it was my first map and I decided to go with what's commonly used. Will take note and see if I could add a couple more features and tiles. Thanks for the comments. :)

User avatar
montetank
Regular
Regular
Posts: 632
Joined: 14 Feb 2013, 00:05
Location: Montenegro

Re: wei's Maps

Post by montetank » 29 May 2014, 16:32

wei2912 wrote:
Hesterax wrote:Great maps, design is good though I can see some balance issues for example; 4 of the 8 players are at a large disadvantage due to having 2 spots to defend against while the other players can hide behind their allies base.
Thanks! Regarding the balance issue, 4v4 should still be fine, since both sides would be balanced.
montetank wrote:8c-Bridge is a 2v2v2v2 map in quarters rotation. I cant see any disadvantage for a team. But it would be nice to see some more tiles. It is a map made with the generator in flame. And thats ok. But it would be nice to see more details on the terrain. However-nice to see a new map-maker :)
montetank wrote:Hello wei2912-try to work with the smooth and change rate. You made this map with the generator (size 128 x128). Thats ok. I also use the generator. But try to change something-for example the map-size. Find some other tiles. Only tile nr.22 is a little bit boring. And try to use more features. Nice to see a new mapmaker :)
Actually, this map wasn't made with the generator in FlaME, I just chose the map size to be 128x128 since it was my first map and I decided to go with what's commonly used. Will take note and see if I could add a couple more features and tiles. Thanks for the comments. :)
Sorry- i saw the swastika, what is typical for the generator in quarters rotation. Watching your map, i saw, that you change the cliff tiles. Very good. Try to make a quarter with smooth and range. More features-and then rotate. The idea with the water is not bad. But until hovers you need 12 minutes for research. There is no fight for oil. It is a research-map. What do you think about the idea-to put 3 oils in the center. To met the opponents for the battle? Or some scavs? The details are very important.
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.

User avatar
Hesterax
Trained
Trained
Posts: 282
Joined: 11 Jan 2014, 13:32

Re: wei's Maps

Post by Hesterax » 31 May 2014, 16:17

montetank wrote:
Hesterax wrote:Great maps, design is good though I can see some balance issues for example; 4 of the 8 players are at a large disadvantage due to having 2 spots to defend against while the other players can hide behind their allies base.
8c-Bridge is a 2v2v2v2 map in quarters rotation. I cant see any disadvantage for a team. But it would be nice to see some more tiles. It is a map made with the generator in flame. And thats ok. But it would be nice to see more details on the terrain. However-nice to see a new map-maker :)
I wasn't talking about disadvantages for certain teams but for certain players in a team. You can see that one player in front of the other making the player in front's base slightly easier to access by land and hover units. But still a great try in map making :)
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.

User avatar
montetank
Regular
Regular
Posts: 632
Joined: 14 Feb 2013, 00:05
Location: Montenegro

Re: wei's Maps

Post by montetank » 01 Jun 2014, 14:10

Aaah-ok-Hesterax. Missunderstood you.
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.

wei2912
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 17
Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 05:14

Re: wei's Maps

Post by wei2912 » 02 Jun 2014, 05:23

montetank wrote: Sorry- i saw the swastika, what is typical for the generator in quarters rotation. Watching your map, i saw, that you change the cliff tiles. Very good. Try to make a quarter with smooth and range. More features-and then rotate. The idea with the water is not bad. But until hovers you need 12 minutes for research. There is no fight for oil. It is a research-map. What do you think about the idea-to put 3 oils in the center. To met the opponents for the battle? Or some scavs? The details are very important.
There were scavenger bases that were a bit tricky to defeat in T1, but that version was deleted... :( I'm currently remaking that version and trying to balance scavenger bases.

When I tested putting oils in the center, everyone was fighting for the oils there. Will give islands a try.
Hesterax wrote: I wasn't talking about disadvantages for certain teams but for certain players in a team. You can see that one player in front of the other making the player in front's base slightly easier to access by land and hover units. But still a great try in map making :)
I see, sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm making a change to the bridge such that it'd be equally easy to access all other bases, regardless of whether you're using hover or land units.

===

Hovers are weak and having hovers go through the narrow pathways to reach their enemies' base seems to make hovers a rather bad choice in this game. Will see if I could find a way to balance both hovers and land units to make them equally strong in this game. I'll probably widen the narrow pathways and make the bridge smaller.

Post Reply