The Commander's Heightmap Resource

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
CDR Manuel
Rookie
Rookie

The Commander's Heightmap Resource

Post by CDR Manuel »

I'm thinking about using dropbox to stash my heightmaps for use in FlaME later. I need critiques on my work prior to finalization in FlaME. If you want the link to the Dropbox folder, you'll get it as soon as I finish my first heightmap.

Please note, these maps do NOT include random noise, as it confuses the cliff brush. That is added in later after the cliffs have been set along with other bounds.
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: The Commander's Heightmap Resource

Post by NoQ »

Why not just use a forum thread with attachments?
Should be easier, both to read and to write.
CDR Manuel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CDR Manuel »

First of all, why are you not on the dev chat? And second, what is your thought on the Komodora IX meta-campaign? The Stergave Desert is pretty big. About the size of the Mojave.

Also NoQ, suppose you plan on making a very big map that has to be broken down into smaller maps for FlaME to read, is it a good practice to work in modules of 64?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

First of all, why are you not on the dev chat?
It's late now, i just came from my work and having a little pause to look through things and go to bed. I usually come to chat when i have a bit more free time, to actually have time for a sensible talk.
what is your thought on the Komodora IX meta-campaign?
Not something i could have undertaken alone. Probably two or three levels, at most, are a single human's capacity, when he already knows most of the stuff ... if you try it, try it on 3.2 nightlies: it will break regularly, but it's better than redoing everything after a while, and surely better than finding out you lack functions in the middle of the process, and i don't really think you finish it any sooner than 3.2 is out. It really takes much more than making maps.
is it a good practice to work in modules of 64?
Not quite sure what you mean. Right now nothing forces you to make sure the map dimensions is a power of 2. If you want the heightmaps to make a single large map, better paint the large map and have grid or guidelines set up. Also, painting a large asymmetric map takes a lot of work: this one took several days of continuous work to complete, and it's still painted relatively cheaply, you could easily point out where i slacked.
CDR Manuel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CDR Manuel »

Great, now I'll have to wait until 3.2 has a stable release! Then an update for FlaME! I can't wait that long, I'm bound to find a job soon.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

now I'll have to wait until 3.2
I said just the opposite. Start using it now, like I do, and maybe you'd be ready by the time it gets stable.
CDR Manuel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CDR Manuel »

Yes, but is FlaME compatible with the master snapshot? Is there a build available for the master snapshot, I mean?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

CDR Manuel wrote:Yes, but is FlaME compatible with the master snapshot?
Yes.
CDR Manuel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CDR Manuel »

Thank you, now I can map in peace.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

is FlaME compatible with the master snapshot?
All maps made for Warzone 2100 v2.0.0 (i think) are ensured to be compatible with whatever game version is released ever in the future. If FlaME gets incompatible, then all thousands of maps around there get broken. FlaME doesn't use some modern features, and it not quite WYSIWYG anymore, but none of this is really important.
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

I think you should upload your heightmaps here as well