[Campaign 4] Release & Development topic

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: [Campaign 4] Release & Development topic

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

I enjoy Monseiur Flaubert's work immensely .. or at least I did as a younger man. My secondary languages are long-neglected (French, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic, Japanese, Spanish, German and a working understanding of a few others). It wouldn't take much to get me back in the saddle again though. Yes, I'm a hardcore nerd. :lol2:

Release-25 is forthcoming, with the fix for above along with the in-progress fix for the Nexus M5/Delta Base Attack Events. I've finally tracked down what was going on ... and yes, it was still my fault.

I must hand it to the Dev Team. Upwards of 2,200 units on the map at once, and the game engine did its' best to cope without whining about it. I wish it would have, in this case. :lol2: Nice going, gents.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

2200 units at once is impressive and merits dev props, no doubt. :3 Never had that experience in WZ. Look forward to the mettle testing of my grace under the fire of those numbers. :hmm: Perhaps attaining a state of "unsentimental composure", a phrase used to describe Flaubert's art in "Madam Bovary", often refered to as a "perfect" work of fiction. Though I know it only in translation, I can relate to those appraisals. :) And, in the context of Cam 4 GP, we could say, an opportunity for perfecting poise within a gauntlet of awesome might. 8)

Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

To be fair, 2,200 units was NOT what I had in mind when fighting NEXUS. :lol2:

That entire battle event needs to be redone. The way I have conducted it thus far is, to quote Flaubert, tres vulgarite'. Far too brutish. Certainly, NEXUS is all about vulgar displays of power, but there's a component of genius and tact to every move made -- much like a chess game. There needs to be a reason to the rhyme.

I'll figure it out. I just need time to process it. ;)
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote: I must hand it to the Dev Team. Upwards of 2,200 units on the map at once, and the game engine did its' best to cope without whining about it. I wish it would have, in this case. :lol2: Nice going, gents.
Um.. no, just no.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11886
Maybe you meant 2200 pixels ? ;)
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Oh, I see. And here I was thinking you had created a scenario where the Project's Seattle D.U.M.B. affiliate had developed a squad of quasi Krognoth mechs that if deployed with canny precision by the Alaska expeditionary force would give you a fighting chance versus those mighty NEXUS odds stacked against you. j/k :)

So, NEXUS re-emerges. How much time has passed between the end of Cam 3 and the begining of Cam 4 ? And what major events in that interval across factions ?

======>

2200 pixels ! Now that explains it. :3 Must admit, an interesting LOD strategy for the antedelluvian WZ engine. ;)

Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

It was a script error, and a nasty one at that, causing the issue .. but at one point, the game would run at 1 frame every 2-3 seconds during the attack event.

Eventually I was able to anticipate when this would occur, and have the game view on one of the two areas, let it run for a while until we got to that point .. presto. Roundabout 2,200 units on the entirety of the map. I can take a screenshot, if you'd like, for proof. It's pretty gnarly. So many that the pathing system can't move the units, so they pile up right where they spawn at. The script error in question was spawning them in 48 at a time, times three locations. After five minutes, with them spawning like that once per minute, it gets out of hand. Then we have Scavengers and their replication routines .. see my point? :) It's an unintended number of units and needs to be fixed.

--------------------

The timeframe is two years after Cam 3. NEXUS fled to Alaska, seeking the Advanced NASDA Research Technologies that were being developed. Alaska is the perfect location for that work. Geographic isolation, easy to defend, easy to hide if something goes wrong. The Project got wind of the development program which was why they went looking for those old facilities.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

I see a fix is incoming already. Nicely done, Vexed. I'm still going to fix the problem that I am responsible for, though. :lol2:
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:.......
--------------------

The timeframe is two years after Cam 3. NEXUS fled to Alaska, seeking the Advanced NASDA Research Technologies that were being developed. Alaska is the perfect location for that work. Geographic isolation, easy to defend, easy to hide if something goes wrong. The Project got wind of the development program which was why they went looking for those old facilities.
Relocating as much as possible, including populations, to northern most latitude regions will become more pressing globally throughout the 21st century for several dire reasons, so NASDA's choice for situating those facilities makes sense from that perspective as well. Within a mountain enclave I would presume.

The question now arises what sort of advanced tech ?

Perhaps tech to counter "Carrington Events".... :hmm:

EDIT:

In my current posted questions and reflections about your storyline for Cam 4 I was seeking to follow up on when we last spoke freely, and in earnest, about the narrative underpining (and the mechanisms of its presentation), back around April 2013. As I tried to explain a couple posts back, at least for me, I feel that this narrative stage setting is as essential to the campaign play experience as are the frontend Mission briefs and sit reps within missions as they play out. So I am wondering how has it evolved or changed from the summary you posted back then which I'll quote:

Code: Select all

The story begins at Nexus Prime, the place that NEXUS fled to after being defeated by The Project. Here we have one of Dr.Reed's Alphas, T-4001. T-4001 was originally an Engineer and a NASDA Officer named Lawrence Gibbs who helped Project Nexus get off the ground before the Collapse. After Dr. Reed betrayed humanity, Lieutenant Gibbs confronted him as he floated in the immersion tank -- and paid the price. Lt. Gibbs was assimilated (much like what happened to the people whom eventually became The Collective) and became a slave to Dr. Reeds' will. In fact, Lt. Gibbs was the first to suffer this fate.

Lieutenant Gibbs was sent north to construct Nexus Prime as NEXUS gathered more allies in the lower 48 states -- the New Paradigm and The Collective, as well as smaller groups who had survived the Collapse and the wars that followed. In fact, NEXUS was responsible for instigating many of those conflicts.

The locals in the area of Nexus Prime likewise had banded together for survival. At first, NEXUS promised them peace and unity, and they would be part of the New World that would rise from the ashes of destruction, better and stronger than the humans of before. Experiments were performed upon these people to test enhancements to mental and physical abilities, to resist disease and the semi-radioactive environment that much of the world was now engulfed in. They were to build a better world.

What was not known until it was too late -- NEXUS was preparing them to be drones. Their free will would be overridden by technology, and while they could think and feel mostly of their own accord, they could not physically act of their own will.

T-4001, as a slave of NEXUS, witnessed all of this firsthand and could do nothing to prevent it. All he could do was follow orders. In his dreams, he is a Liberator. One who frees all of the slaves of NEXUS and forces Dr. Reed to answer for his crimes. That dream, sadly, is not reality. Someday ...

And then the day comes. What would be a routine sweep-and-clear of one of the outlying Survivor Camps turns out to be the event that sets it all in motion. After being overwhelmed and captured, T-4001 is probed, examined, and eventually disconnected from the system thanks to a piece of technology that these Rebels have been working on. Lieutenant Gibbs is free again.

He returns to Nexus Prime and discovers that all is not well. The activation of the Limiter has caused all manner of malfunctions to anything connected to the system. Lieutenant Gibbs can [b] perceive[/b] the breakdown of order but is controlled by the system no longer. He confronts Dr. Reed (still floating in his immersion tank) and demands that the system be shut down. NEXUS then turns on Lt. Gibbs, driving him and a contingent of the base personnel away lest they be destroyed.

Lieutenant Gibbs needs assistance if Dr. Reed is to face justice and if NEXUS is to be dismantled. After a couple of encounters attempting to free more and more drones from the system, it becomes clear that the Survivors in the area, while resourceful and inventive, are no match for NEXUS. Lieutenant Gibbs decides to contact The Project -- the only force capable of dealing with NEXUS on the scale necessary to defeat it once and for all.

And who does The Project send? The Lieutenant's brother, Tactical Sergeant Reginald Gibbs, and an entire Project Team -- enough to establish a base of operations and gain a strong foothold in the region. The brothers have a reunion and set about ridding the world of NEXUS.

The end result is a spectacular battle at Nexus Prime. Once conquered, all hardware still connected to the system must remain under control until the technology can be dismantled and otherwise nullified. The Project has a new ally (The Cooperative), and the world is a much brighter place with Dr. Reed (who is in REALLY bad shape after spending almost 17 years in an immersion tank) on trial for crimes against humanity and attempted genocide.
That's what I have so far. :D
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 04 Nov 2014, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote: Roundabout 2,200 units on the entirety of the map. I can take a screenshot, if you'd like, for proof. It's pretty gnarly.
I just meant that the game would be basically unplayable with 2200 units...no need for screenshots, I provided some in that other thread.

Anyway, carry on. :)
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Must confess I'm at a loss on how to proceed and not lapse into presumption, the inappropriate or rough hewn. Perhaps I should have made a new post instead of editing the last, even though only hours had passed. But there it is, in the spirit of promoting a better understanding through candor while abiding the Golden Rule. :3

Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Thank you for reminding me, Rman. I must confess it seems like a lifetime ago since I wrote all of that. A very long time ago, from my perspective. I should take some time and refresh my memory by combing through some of my earlier plans.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Goth, here is a fuller explanation of why I bring these things up.

======>

* I come at this in 2 modes.

As just a fan looking for a particular fun experience who need not articulate beyond exclaiming:

- "It's rockin' cool all over the map." or

- "Some of the glitches suck rotten eggs." or

- "Man, i'm awed beyond words." or

- "There's something about "xyz" that bugs me but I can't explain it."

But the mode that is most apt for me, in choosing to post articulations, is as someone who can in hindesight express the clear details of what worked, what didn't so much and the whys, hows and where fores of each reaction.

This later mode is based on what I call the "context of engagement".

* How I define this "context of engagement" is as follows.

That I have an intimate understanding of Cam 4's:

1 ~ scope and complexity of interlocking components (and implementing techniques)

2 ~ your artistic vision in its details of melding story and gameplay, and how it shall all be held together seamlessly with compelling momentum.

3 ~ and that those two states are challenges requiring your sustained focus over a goodly chunk of time which inturn will manifest a 360 ° evolution and serial integration.

* The take away here is that as one who would articulate useful feedback, I must hold uppermost this "context of engagement" (a moving target) which is, in essence, your artistic vision's on going implementation and not supposing something other wise....

- Regards, RV. :)
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

I appreciate the input, as always. All feedback, good and bad, is always intended to help one improve. I've never taken it any other way than that, buddy. It's all good, always. :3 Can you imagine if Physicists, Engineers, etc, took criticism personally? Yikes ..

Anyway, moving right along.

It appears that indeed I "forgot where I was" regarding Campaign 4 before my health issues took me out of the game last year. The work of the past several releases, however, will not go to waste. In fact, this will nicely fill up Campaign 5 and then culminate in Campaign 6.

The working plan will be:
-------------------------------
- Campaign 4 will proceed as-is. The ending, however, will change. No spoilers yet. ;)
- Campaign 5 will deal with T-4001 and part of that story. We already have an outline of that one.
- Campaign 6 will consist of the second (unused half) of the Campaign 4 story and the second half of the T-4001 story.

Any ideas/suggestions I'm certainly open to.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Can you imagine if Physicists, Engineers, etc, took criticism personally ? Yikes ..
If talented, we'd end up with a flock of Reed types flying off deep end all over the planet, pre-collapse. Post apocalypse, they'd serve competing hegemons, I'd imagine. :hmm:

Strict adherence to the scientific method and emotional motivations co-exist. We lost one of the greatest original minds of 20th century computor science and technology because he took criticism so to heart that he ended his life.

On the last part about waste. I subscribe to the Bucky Fuller notion of waste as a resource yet to be harvested.

Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

I remember the story of that individual. There have been a few instances like that, and each individual forgot some of the basic, fundamental stuff they learned early on:

- Remain objective when it seems the entire world itself is for you as well as against you.
- If your work is correct or incorrect, accept it as such, learn from it and move on with grace and dignity. Everyone is entitled to success as well as failure.
- You follow in the footsteps of Newton, Einstein, Sagan, Hawking, and many, many others. Someday your name could be mentioned in their company. Conduct yourself as Professionally as they would.

So, yeah.

And I am with you regarding waste as a resource. Anything that can be reused/repurposed elsewhere is gold to me.

We'll get there. ;)