[Campaign 4] Release & Development topic

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: [Campaign 4] Development topic

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Rman Virgil wrote:There is always a little dissent even in paradise.

Which is to say, The Project would have its naysayers on specific policy. Simply because the post-collapse world would not be one of exuberant abundance and thus there would be major debates over the allocation of scarce resources to any particular effort.

In this particular case there would be, I'm imagining, a Project contingent that would question the veracity of this Nexus schism and would even suggest it was a canny ploy by Reed to make the Project vulnerable to an insider disruptive drain.

There are many ways to exploit this potential reversal in narrative and mission constructs. I posit, as an example, that the Project majority, by a slim margin, votes to go ahead and aid in the rebellion. But what of the minority not in favor of this move and still very suspicious ? Will they just go along and not precipitate some chain of events in secret, some machination, to subvert this alliance intitiative with this Nexus splinter ?

I guess this sums-up the notion that presenting the Project as being pure as the driven snow is not as interesting, or realistic, as injecting an element of divisiveness and allowing for a splinter group's potential treachery at some point in the narrative unfolding and even in an associated mission sequence.
Something to lead into Campaign 5, perhaps? The zealots among the upper echelon of The Project would be suspicious of anyone whom had been assimilated by NEXUS and then "freed", and any inclusion or alliance with such individuals would be a "pollution" at best and a "cancer to be cut away" at worst. Fantastic story possibilities for sure. :D

And between Lightworks, Blender, screen caps and other FOSS tools we have everything we need to make sequences. :lecture:

Looking forward to getting things moving along again. My arm is mostly healed up now and I plan to get going in a big way this week.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

That makes dramatic sense Goth. Looking at it in the 3 act form. :3

Good to hear your arm's getting better. :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Glad to hear your arm is getting better :)

On subject of "pollution" or "cancer" - not sure Project would use those terms, sounds more like the language of The Collective.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

The more zealous members of the Project leadership would .. they're ex-NASDA officers, idealists, etc. :P
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

As a result of our conversation here Goth, I've given myself the challenge of working out answers to the following questions, in a detail rich fashion:

~ What is The Project mission specifically ?

~ What is The Project's organizing power structure ?

The original canon answers the first question something along the lines of:

~ To restore civilization to its Pre-Collapse glory. My response is - What exactly does that mean ?

As to the second question - The Project's organizing power structure or governing body type - there really is nothing to speak of in the original canon.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10480&p=120609#p120609

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Rman Virgil wrote:.
As to the second question - The Project's organizing power structure or governing body type - there really is nothing to speak of in the original canon.
What about basing it on an existing or pre-existing socitical model. I think with the sacrifices and hard work done by the Project military it could be something like Sparta, with the military/warrior class holding some kind of special role so that they would not create a dictatorship. Sparta did have a king however and this doesn't seem right for the project, so maybe Spartan without the King and only the ruling council / senate.

In any case I don't think it would directly move to a democracy as the organizational infrastructure would not be present for some time - you wouldn't want the scavs electing a leader LOL

Oh an if you have ever read the Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter Hamilton you might remember the Edenists, if not check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edenism - or maybe Adamist is more appropriate.. idk
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Rman Virgil wrote:.
Rommel wrote:What about basing it on an existing or pre-existing socitical model. I think with the sacrifices and hard work done by the Project military it could be something like Sparta, with the military/warrior class holding some kind of special role so that they would not create a dictatorship. Sparta did have a king however and this doesn't seem right for the project, so maybe Spartan without the King and only the ruling council / senate.

In any case I don't think it would directly move to a democracy as the organizational infrastructure would not be present for some time - you wouldn't want the scavs electing a leader LOL

Oh an if you have ever read the Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter Hamilton you might remember the Edenists, if not check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edenism - or maybe Adamist is more appropriate.. idk

Rommel, I would agree with your insights.

Where I'm at now is an Oligarchy * comprised of 3 contingents of which I have only been able to identify 2 clearly: the military and the technocrats (scientists and technologists).

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Their logo is not military in nature (unlike many of the other factions) - I would imagine they are more science based and the military aspect arose out of necessity to survive in the post-Collapse world.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Wasn't there a defacto "leader" of the Project? If I remember my WZ2100 Canon correctly, the fellow talking during the intro cutscene was *him*, was it not? The name escapes me at the present time but I thought it was a single leader and a council who were running things.

It would be good if we can define all of this, since I believe that it's up to us to sort it out. Perhaps we could get in touch with some of the ex-Pumpkins and get some direction, so that we aren't stepping on anything that was already decided way back when.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:Wasn't there a defacto "leader" of the Project? If I remember my WZ2100 Canon correctly, the fellow talking during the intro cutscene was *him*, was it not? The name escapes me at the present time but I thought it was a single leader and a council who were running things.

It would be good if we can define all of this, since I believe that it's up to us to sort it out. Perhaps we could get in touch with some of the ex-Pumpkins and get some direction, so that we aren't stepping on anything that was already decided way back when.
John Hammond was his name iirc.

However we had no background for him. Was he a scientist or military ? How did he get to his position ? Was there a term limit ? And what were the actual mechanisms of his power / governance ? How were priorities arrived at ? What were the priorities ? How were final decisions made and enforced or executed ?

The President of the US is Commander and Chief, supposed leader of the free world and the Executive branch but there are checks and balances to his power and it is not unilateral like Stalin and his council.

What we have for the canon is as far as Pumpkin went... If they held anything back for the 2120 sequel they never revealed it.

Plus, when we got permission from them (in writing and by public announcement) in Sept of '99 to continue 2100 however and wherever our collective imagination, nerve and talent would take us, whatever may been planned for 2120 was defered to us and our efforts. That's how it remained throughout all our communications between '99 - 2005 and I don't see why that should have changed since '05. They explictly trusted and encouraged us to find our own way in expanding their original creation all those years and that's how I think we should still proceed.

I'm not the only one left from '99 who was deep in the mix that's still around to attest to this. There's LA, SAB, Strata, 4nE, TW, Sputty....

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Yup, it was John Hammond - likely a hat tip to John Connor character from Terminator films, so I guess they had that sort of person in mind. I imagine John to be not specifically from a science or military background, but capable of both (and more).
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Very good. :)

Now all that's left is for 3.2 to get released -- with all the goodies. 3.1 is okay but 3.2 is going to be far better to develop on, what with the new changes to the API; and I've hit a few roadblocks in 3.1 that warrant waiting for 3.2. Not really showstoppers so much as it would be smart to wait for it. ;)

It's like the transition to Windows 7 from Vista, in my view. Showing polish and refinement compared to the earlier iteration, when things were actually fully implemented and working properly. That's not a knock on the Dev Team, simply a statement of opinion on my part. :D
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Okee-dokey, moving right along.

After sitting on my laurels for the past month and a half, I'm getting antsy and needing to develop. My one-month foray back into World of Warcraft was quite a letdown. Not to mention that I'm not really "into it" like I once was. Such is the way of things.

I'm in the process of fixing a few of the balance issues that have been brought up from R17.

Changelog:
-------------

- The long-range Nexus artillery blasting away at the player in M1 and M3 has been removed for now.

- Likewise the MASSIVE Nexus attack that occurs in M3 is being tweaked to not be so overwhelming ... although it did my heart good to know that it IS possible for the player to be defeated after all. :D

- I know what I'm going to do for Campaign 5 now. Instead of wiping out all that hard work that's been put into Campaign 4 as it currently sits, we'll proceed as scheduled. Eliminating the Nexus Base in the area and befriending the Coalition will be the crux of Cam 4. Campaign 5 will explore the schism that develops within Nexus, eventually leading to revolution. Think of the Borg Collective versus the Cooperative and Unimatrix Zero (Star Trek Voyager fans will know something about this) all at once. We'll be introduced to the "Leader" of this schism, NODE. No spoilers, but Rman's think-tank will give you a clue as to whom this "leader" is, and why things are happening the way they are. :) Campaign Six will be the apex of events culminating in the Final Battle.

Release-18 will be available soon. Mostly a bugfix release for now.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Truth. Haven't been gaming much for months. Told Mero yesterday I have a stack of 10 bargain games bought over that span and all remain unopened, let alone installed. But I do look foward to your releases.:3

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

I miss the old days.. Troman, Bones, Prometheous, Maynard, IS, Sputnick, et al. Even with the limits of the game we still had som crazy ideas of what we could do even w/o the source. CitadelElite comes to mind.

Anyway... Beyond Cam 4/5 what ideas have you thought of for Cam 0 (the exodus etc.)? I've been building up a lot of interesting material for one since the NEWST days.