[Campaign 4] Release & Development topic

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: [Campaign 4] Release & Development topic

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

The next release is in-progress. It's been brought to my attention that the new Transport Two defence event stuff needs some enhancements to bring the immediate area in line with what I want to achieve script-wise. That should be ready tonight or tomorrow. That along with some minor fixes already commited will bring us up to Release-23. Sorry for the inconvienience, but the fixes will be worth it.

Gotta love beta stuff. :lol:
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

The latest round of internal testing has uncovered numerous deficiencies in the M4 and M5 events that I need to address before I release #23.

What I've done was added a new "Extracurricular Warfare" achievement/event -- essentially a way for the player to trigger M3, M4 and M5 all at once while on M2. No spoilers on how to make it happen (you'll have to figure that one out yourselves, but the logic should be clear enough ... :twisted: ), but the side benefit is it's a way for me to more easily and quickly debug the rest of the map (it saves two hours of play time). For the player, it cuts to the quick and gets things moving. Roll your own adventure indeed.

It turns out that with all of the space (250x250) and all of the decorative doodads (as a certain very popular MMORPG game company calls them) on the map that I'd really like left in place, once the script starts spawning in NEXUS and Scavenger units things go pear-shaped. VERY pear-shaped. I'm going to continue to diagnose the causes (and it's likely my fault, for those keeping track :3 ). So until then, the next release is on hold while I triage the issues and apply fixes.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Oy vey. Long week of being waist-deep in WZScript fixing things in Cam 4.

I've narrowed the cause of the lag issue down to pathing between wherever the player sets up Delta Base at and NEXUS Base. Those forces attack en masse; and because the terrain is .. well, Alaska .. full of bendy, twisty bottoms and wilderness, the pathing system in the game engine does NOT like it.

I don't remember this issue cropping up in previous iterations of 3.0, so this is something new.

The event in which the "Full-Out Attack" occurs ("NexusGoesPostal", for those who have taken a look at the script) is disabled for now, sadly, until I can figure out a different way to implement NEXUS going .. well, "Postal".

I'm open to suggestions.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Been settling in since my return from NY a couple days ago. Downloaded earlier today and will start playing Sunday. I'll surely post thereafter. :3

Btw Goth, I also downloaded NoQ's latest NullBot from his Git Source Forge Repo and it was more straightforward than getting Cam 4 from Git. Not a biggie but the diff was odd. :hmm:
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 28 Sep 2014, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Sorry. I've had a lot of difficulty getting Github to cooperate in general. Not sure why. It should be as straightforward as anything else hosted there.

I've read the documentation, consulted some of the help Q&A information, etc. The GUI tools are horrible and slow, the commandline tools require degrees in Sanskrit and Botany, etc.

I'm starting to think that my whole idea of ceasing to use Dropbox for Github was a bad move. :stressed: I'm considering another means of distribution.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:Sorry. I've had a lot of difficulty getting Github to cooperate in general. Not sure why. It should be as straightforward as anything else hosted there.

I've read the documentation, consulted some of the help Q&A information, etc. The GUI tools are horrible and slow, the commandline tools require degrees in Sanskrit and Botany, etc.

I'm starting to think that my whole idea of ceasing to use Dropbox for Github was a bad move. :stressed: I'm considering another means of distribution.
I started looking at the documentation today for making a simple .wz dl from Git and started getting a headache it was so convoluted.

I made an error when I said NoQ's NullBot dl was from Git.... it wasn't.... he uses Source Forge for his repo and it seems a lot more straightforward to set up dling just a .wz file than Git. Though as a collaborative repo Git looks more robust for really big source code projects.

Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

That was my experience as well. To their credit, the operators of Github have tried to make things more functional, accessible and streamlined for the average user; but by golly, the documentation is NOT where it should be yet.

I have already deleted my Dropbox account, and I don't have any desire to create a new one. I have ceased storing data online as a whole outside of Github for Campaign 4 and Warzone 2100-related items. That's a personal preference and nothing more -- and no, I'm not one of those "privacy nuts", I just have no need to store data "on the cloud" at this time. :lol2:

I have plenty of OneDrive and Google Drive storage available, sitting unused. If I remember correctly, both have "Public" folders that allow for files to be linked to. Perhaps one of those will suit my needs for distributing Campaign 4. I also have a MEGA account, but they have bandwidth metering (not to mention that using MEGA is frowned upon in many places ...). Thoughts?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Personally, I would go with Google Drive. But that's likely due to the bias convenience of using my Samsung Galaxy Note phablet for everything but my high end projects which I do on my DT graphics work station... and even there I use my phablet as a tether to create a wireless high speed broadband wifi hotspot since my service is unlimited and unthrotled, 4g LTE (last month I pushed 35 gigs). Plus, Google is a behemoth that will endure with all thier offerings evolving in robustness and, once set up, no worries about seeking an alternative because they've scaled back service, or quality, or want to gouge you for $$ upfront.

===>

Will have the first of multiple post installments by tomorro of my play experiences with your latest Cam 4 iteration. I'm proceeding at "savor pace". Afterall, this is the first new WZ campaign since Pumpkin's original 15 years ago, and merits, without a doubt, that type regard and active attention, IMHO. :3

Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Google Drive it is. I'm making some test uploads and seeing how the direct download functionality works. Will report on my findings.

[EDIT] That's not going to work. Blah. :stressed:
Last edited by Goth Zagog-Thou on 30 Sep 2014, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

My Google Drive [ LINK REMOVED ]. Let's see how this works out ...

[ EDIT ] Well, that's .. interesting. Not sure that's going to be appropriate.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

* It's been awhile since I played the last iteration so my memory could very well be a little hazy but my immediate somatic reaction was that there were subtle changes which made the experience dramatically more satisfying. Since this was an initial somatic reaction, and one tied to immersion, I am only now, in hindsight, gonna try and analyze that somatic reaction and see if I can put it into words that may be of practical value.

- The transport offload of units has been belayed from the last version allowing me to focus on the mission brief narrative without feeling conflicted about taking my eyes off the scene before me. The faintness of the music also supported this focus in the very important storytelling opening. Ultimately this immersion will be facilitated by voice acting but for now these subtle changes are a significant advance over the previous release.

- Speaking of the transport.... No longer making its preservation central to the opening proceeding is a good move. I think that design mechanic could work but the best way to do it, I believe, would be to reward fullfilling the preservation condition by making the transport fully operational. However, that would make for a different story, and mission advance construction, and I'm not suggesting or advocating that. The way its being handled now works well. The action, melded to story, is balanced and compelling as is.

- Now when the units are, alas, deployed I have a better sense of the situation than before were I was disoriented from the get go because I couldn't keep up with the mission briefs and the concurrent need to effectively react to the action. Minimizing command disorientation is key and when disorientation dominates, as it does in the command and control mechanics of the new and disappointing "Planetary Annhilation", this alone can be the downfall of total immersion and any promising gameplay.

- With units deployed, and no reinforcements or manufacturing opportunities on the horizon, I make a preservation assessment and divide the units into Group 1 and 2 (I won't create a spoiler by describing an further details or my rationale). With beacons up on the mini map, I proceed maneuvering. Now here again come up changes for the better. Last iteration I recall mainly just blasting my way to advance. Now I have to be much more canny in my advance by incorporating timed tactical retreats. The multi vector enemy assaults are well balanced at this juncture to afford me the opportunity to survive while not allowing me to just blast my way through mindlessly. Challenging fights which are yet affording ample opportunity to think on my feet.

- It is also at this point that a core WZ shortfall comes to the fore pointing directly to areas unfinished in the original game and which explain the entire development of TW and NTW style maps and gameplay in MP by the fan base to deal with these inherent source issues. But to address these issues involves fundamental source code changes to the PF approach (which also dovetails with the continued deving of the Command & Control Battle Cam Mode) and that is all beyond the scope of CAM 4. That said, there are a number of topographical design strats to minimize this issue of inherent bumbling onto death, and incessant baby sitting to lessen casualties due strictly to inadequate PF snd PW (in close quarter multi combat group coordinated maneuvers), that follow an entirely different course than NTW design. In making "New Pangaea SP" I utilized all these design strats. So far, I've been able to manage my way through these issues without undo frustration so I don't think any redesign is called for. :hmm:

- On an entirely visual note.... I'm curious to see how your landscape textures would look by removing the AZ striation decal. I'll probably go ahead and do it on my copy, just outta satisfying my curiosity. 8)

* As I proceed at this savor pace of play testing, I'll share my thoughts on my ongoing experiences in these type installments. :3

- Regards, RV. :)

Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Thank you for the very elegant and helpfully verbose critique. :) It assists with making Cam 4 everything it should be. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself thus far, and finding it a challenge.

- I agree that without the voice dialogue to match the on-screen text it is rather distracting from the action taking place. I want to get the voice audio remade as soon as possible. The voiceovers will allieviate the distraction factor in this regard.

- I'm VERY pleased that you find the changes in pace/timing helpful. I was also unhappy with the disorientation factor. In the beginning, I had thought that the "disorientation" was appropriate since we had just crash landed; but after the first few dozen play tests it got really stale. I recieved a lot of feedback from RL friends who also gave it a try and said the same thing, that they couldn't keep up with everything going on and that a "settling in" period at the beginning would really help things out a lot. I'm happy that it has worked out in the affirmative.

Release-23 is coming along, slowly. I'm working on a plan of action to address the problems with the NEXUS Base attack event, but it will require more testing to properly implement.

In the meantime, I look forward to any and all input concerning the M2 stage. I've put a lot of work into making sure that one functions properly. And yes, there is a good reason for the Prototype NEXUSLink to exist. :3 Enjoy!
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

On your github page on the right is a "Download ZIP" button, if you rename that to cam4.wz or something, it should work as a mod I think.
We want information... information... information.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Not sure where to do that at. It dosen't appear to be in 'Settings' on Github, or anywhere else there that I can find.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

It's on the right of the main code view: http://imgkk.com/i/76-a.png

Unfortunately, it downloads <project name>.zip whereby the highest level inner folder is <project name>, I don't think that can be changed.

You can of course just extract that folder and zip it, or load the mod as the folder itself (not sure if not being a zip affects multiplayer).
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."