[3.1+] NullBot: an adaptive skirmish AI

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: [3.1+] NullBot: an adaptive skirmish AI

Post by NoQ »

Right now the forum needs to sort out issues with old post editing. I'd probably move all the stuff to a single wiki page some day.
nick87720z wrote:Just found previous [3.2] post about nullbot 3. Would be nice to add cross-link top posts from both [3.2] and [3.1].
Well, i do wear all the links in my signature...
⇩⇩⇩
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Right now the forum needs to sort out issues with old post editing.
We have. You can't. Too much spam.
I'd probably move all the stuff to a single wiki page some day.
An ideal place for it!
full_tracks
New user

Post by full_tracks »

Hello.

I have installed Nullbot 2.11 including the "extras" pack in Warzone 3.1.1. I am using GNU/Linux; I encountered the following problem: when I try to play the challenge "Flame wars", the enemies do nothing; the AI is missing. I have the following message in my log:

Code: Select all

--- Starting log [/home/full_tracks/.warzone2100-3.1/logs/WZlog-1231_113607.txt]---
info    |11:36:07: [realmain:1145] Using /home/full_tracks/.warzone2100-3.1/logs/WZlog-1231_113607.txt debug file
info    |11:36:07: [realmain:1247] mod_mp (nullbot-2-11.wz) is enabled
info    |11:36:07: [realmain:1247] mod_mp (nullbot-2-11-extras.wz) is enabled
info    |11:37:36: [openLoadFile:164] file multiplay/skirmish/nullbot-2-11-fl.js could not be opened: File not found
info    |11:37:36: [openLoadFile:164] Assert in Warzone: frame.cpp:164 (!"unable to open file"), last script event: '<none>'
error   |11:37:36: [loadPlayerScript:371] Failed to read script file "multiplay/skirmish/nullbot-2-11-fl.js"
info    |11:37:36: [openLoadFile:164] file multiplay/skirmish/nullbot-2-11-tu.js could not be opened: File not found
info    |11:37:36: [openLoadFile:164] Assert in Warzone: frame.cpp:164 (!"unable to open file"), last script event: '<none>'
error   |11:37:36: [loadPlayerScript:371] Failed to read script file "multiplay/skirmish/nullbot-2-11-tu.js"
info    |11:37:36: [openLoadFile:164] file multiplay/skirmish/nullbot-2-11-tu.js could not be opened: File not found
error   |11:37:36: [loadPlayerScript:371] Failed to read script file "multiplay/skirmish/nullbot-2-11-tu.js"
I have installed Nullbot by downloading the corresponding files "nullbot-2-11-extras.wz" and "nullbot-2-11.wz" into ".warzone2100-3.1/mods/multiplay". I start Warzone with "warzone2100 --mod_mp=nullbot-2-11.wz --mod_mp=nullbot-2-11-extras.wz". What is the source of this problem?. How can I fix it so that I can play this challenge.

Thanks.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Whoops, yeah, this praticular challenge seems broken. Will fix.
full_tracks
New user

Post by full_tracks »

NoQ wrote:Whoops, yeah, this praticular challenge seems broken. Will fix.
Thanks. Will you make a new release with the bug fix or only upload it to the Git repository?.

I am surprised that nobody had reported this bug previously.
E-102 Gamma
Regular
Regular

Post by E-102 Gamma »

I played around with some Turtle AIs last night, just to get an idea of what they do. Used a 10-player map (DA-towers10v0 by duda) and pitted two teams of 8 Insane Turtle NullBots against each other while I hid behind my team and watched. Made some observations.

Not too long into the game, their turtling efforts came screeching to a halt. My teammates, at least, never upgraded their base defenses beyond HVCs and mortars, and hardly built any AA, in spite of the fact that the whole map was constantly swarmed with VTOLs.

Beyond a certain point, they completely stopped researching as well. By that point, my team was spamming dual Assault Gun Dragon Tracks ad nauseum and sending them off to get blasted by laser satellite cannons. But the enemy team had Twin Assault Guns, which my team never bothered to research. In fact, my team left a lot of useful things un-researched, such as the rest of the machine gun and cannon upgrades (they were using the AA flak cannons for anti-air), and various armor upgrades. I was able to snatch a single oil derrick at one point and started researching stuff. Once I researched the Twin Assault Gun, my teammates upgraded to it, which really leaves me to wonder why they didn't just research it themselves.

Speaking of Assault Guns and Twin Assault Guns, the AI sure had a strange fascination with them. As soon as they got Assault Guns, they started putting them on everything. Most of their VTOLs used this weapon. Almost all of their ground forces were either Assault Gun cyborgs, AA flak cannons, or (Twin) Assault Guns on various bodies. I know they can be used to shoot down VTOLs, but why were they so fixated on these two weapons?

I tried to leave the game running overnight by Alt+Tabbing out without pausing, but found after waking up in the morning that the game had crashed. So I do have a crash log that I can post, if that would be helpful.
wz_fan
New user

Post by wz_fan »

No, crash log after such long game woun't do anything. This AI is good for what it is. Main game code must be optimized for such games as you had. It's a bit sad that NoQ mostly abandoned NullBot development. That AI is wonderful and gave me hours and hours quality challenge.

Please to not post what you do not know for sure!
Last edited by Berg on 24 Sep 2018, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: the post assumes noq has abandon project nullbot
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Berg wrote:Please to not post what you do not know for sure!
This is known for sure. Even though the author is posting in the wrong thread, which means that he probably didn't notice the NullBot3 work, it's quite obvious that i didn't work on this for years, and i keep saying that my current life circumstances unfortunately prevent me from actively working on this stuff. No matter how much i'm sorry about it, that's a fact of life.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Well thats not good very sad news indeed that you have abandon project nullbot.
NoQ sorry to hear that.
Also Sorry to wz_fan my mistake
wz_fan
New user

Post by wz_fan »

It's OK, Berg :)

NoQ, could you have some spare time to provide short tutorial behind NullBot creation? How did you obtain all endpoints to bind your bot? I studied your WIKI entries, functions, but I don't know how did you got endpoints to bind to. It would be interesting challenge to update your bot.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Dunno what you mean by endpoints (events?), but almost everything you need to know is in the official API documentation. In my opinion, the best way to teach yourself how things work is to try to write a very simple AI that does almost nothing. Eg., just selects a truck, builds a factory, produces a new truck, and stops. This should be like 50 lines of code, but it covers all the idioms you need to know.

And i'm reminding again, just in case, that this thread is about a very old historical release of NullBot; you should be working with NullBot3 instead, which also corresponds to the AI bundled with the game since 3.2.0.