Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Lord_Kane
Trained
Trained

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by Lord_Kane »

I assume I just plop this in autoload and away I go? will give a shot later today.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Lord_Kane wrote:I assume I just plop this in autoload and away I go? will give a shot later today.
Yeah that's what I do, I use the autoload folder although I think I remember reading that's not technically the right/best way to load a skirmish mod.
Lord_Kane
Trained
Trained

Post by Lord_Kane »

MIH-XTC wrote:
Lord_Kane wrote:I assume I just plop this in autoload and away I go? will give a shot later today.
Yeah that's what I do, I use the autoload folder although I think I remember reading that's not technically the right/best way to load a skirmish mod.
Yeah thats my standard M.O for the moment, like the changes so far, makes skirmish a bit slower at the start.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Lord_Kane wrote:makes skirmish a bit slower at the start.
I think so too, I’ve always felt that T1 no base has too much downtime waiting for the first 2 -3 structures to complete. Especially maps that start off with 2 trucks.

Admittedly I made this even worse by making research centers take 20% longer to build and making the trucks initially build 25% slower. However, after the engineering upgrade then trucks start building faster than normal. Factories build 10% faster. The biggest compensation is that trucks produce in 18 seconds whereas they took 30 before. This means trucks accumulate faster and base building in general is faster but initially slower.

The reasoning behind this is because right now it’s way too easy to achieve “flawless” research. The best players know to start off with a research center and can have a second and third built before more relevant research is available. As a result, most teams are likely to have very similar research progress and paths. This is definitely true for 3v3 and 4v4 games. I made it harder to accumulate research centers in the beginning and made engine available from beginning of tech tree so that we’re likely to see more variation in research strategy.

The real reason for this post though is to say that if we want to make the first couple of minutes not so slow and boring then I need to recalibrate the base structure build points and truck construction rates but right now there is a bug where the buildPoints for the modules are not working (or implemented). To verify, I set the power, research and factory module buildPoints to 10,000 but there is no visible difference. It seems buildPoints are not working for the modules.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

MIH-XTC wrote:but right now there is a bug where the buildPoints for the modules are not working (or implemented). To verify, I set the power, research and factory module buildPoints to 10,000 but there is no visible difference. It seems buildPoints are not working for the modules.
Please make a bug ticket. I know I'm slow to fix things, but I'll get around to it eventually (unless someone else does first). Things just posted in the forum are forgotten, though.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Per wrote:
MIH-XTC wrote:but right now there is a bug where the buildPoints for the modules are not working (or implemented). To verify, I set the power, research and factory module buildPoints to 10,000 but there is no visible difference. It seems buildPoints are not working for the modules.
Please make a bug ticket. I know I'm slow to fix things, but I'll get around to it eventually (unless someone else does first). Things just posted in the forum are forgotten, though.

Okay I'll make a ticket. It's low priority and I know there is already a backlog so I almost didn't want to mention it but you're right it should be logged somewhere.
Lord_Kane
Trained
Trained

Post by Lord_Kane »

MIH-XTC

Can you consider adding the double heavy cannon to the mod?
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Lord_Kane wrote:MIH-XTC

Can you consider adding the double heavy cannon to the mod?
Adding new weapons, research items, structures, etc... only takes a few minutes provided there is a graphical .pie model for it. I would have a pretty good guess on the initial stats and after testing a few times they can be integrated into balance.

I've never seen a double heavy cannon before and it would be closely related to twin assault cannon. To distinguish between the two, a double heavy cannon should probably be twice the weight of a single heavy cannon but then that would closely resemble a plasma cannon in terms of a big slow cannon with blast radius. A single heavy cannon is fairly large in terms of the turret size so I'm not sure how a double heavy cannon would look on a small body like a bug.

If you have a double heavy cannon model I'll add it in and then post an updated version so you can see what it looks like as a proof of concept.
Lord_Kane
Trained
Trained

Post by Lord_Kane »

I know nothing of modelling, nor do I have a pie available so.
nevermind I guess.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Lord_Kane wrote:I know nothing of modelling, nor do I have a pie available so.
nevermind I guess.
ya me neither, although I understand some basics of rendering.

Not having graphical models is essentially the only blocker from adding more "things".

I created 3 range upgrades for each weapon line that increase the range of weapons but I re-used the icons from medium cannon, mini-rocket array, heavy mg, bombard, inferno for each of the weapon lines because I don't have any graphic for it.

I'm thinking maybe the range upgrades should just be integrated with existing upgrades to simplify things or if it's better to have standalone upgrades to increase the amount of things to research. Please anyone give feedback on this.

I added the range upgrades because the feature is available but not implemented.
xShadow421x
Rookie
Rookie

Post by xShadow421x »

If you want something to work with for a test or whatever, I quickly modified the heavy cannon model/s to have twin cannons.
Would look like this:
Should be rigged how Warzone wants it. trhcan2.pie is the turret's "body" and gnhcan2.pie is the cannon barrels.
If you need to link effects to it, I think the twin assault cannons use fxlmgun2.pie for the muzzle flash, and fxtracr2.pie for the tracer effects if you're looking for similar effects to be used.
Attachments
twinHeavyCannon.zip
(58.73 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
ImageImageImageImage
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

^^ That's awesome. I don't know why I was thinking it would look like two turrets instead of two barrels.

See attached, I added it in. It becomes available after twin assault cannon and heavy cannon so we need both. You can test from T3 full base, it's available from the start.

(I rescaled all research costs so that's why it looks expensive)
I made a copy of single heavy cannon as a template and made these modifications

buildPoints 800 -> 1000
buildPower 250 -> 300

To make it fire twice then pause
firePause 60 -> 10
numRounds 0 -> 2
reloadTime 0 -> 50

weight 5600 -> 8800

Here's how it stacks up against heavy cannon, twin assault cannon and plasma cannon.

Also made base building not so slow in beginning

research center 700 -> 800
power generator 600 -> 500 (back to original 3.2.x)
factory 500 -> 250

There you go Lord_Kane lol.

EDIT: I also started to think, maybe it's not a good idea to publicly discuss game mechanics if it seems to trivialize how the game works once people understand the numbers. Thoughts? Should this discussion be held elsewhere?
Attachments
EB.wz
Added twin heavy cannon and made factories build faster
(129.64 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Lord_Kane
Trained
Trained

Post by Lord_Kane »

Holy sh*t, I disappear for a few hours and BAM suddenly the twin cannon exists. :D
Thanks xShadow421x and MIH-XTC
Prot
Trained
Trained

Post by Prot »

I still unable to play this mod on wz3.2.3 due crash
info |02:00:43: [getViewData:757] Assert in Warzone: message.cpp:757 (ptr), last script event: '<none>'
*** Error in `warzone2100': malloc(): smallbin double linked list corrupted: 0x000055e870829fc0 ***
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Prot wrote:I still unable to play this mod on wz3.2.3 due crash
info |02:00:43: [getViewData:757] Assert in Warzone: message.cpp:757 (ptr), last script event: '<none>'
*** Error in `warzone2100': malloc(): smallbin double linked list corrupted: 0x000055e870829fc0 ***

Hmmm, error in message.cpp

I did not fill out all of the messages in messages.json for new research upgrade but I thought those were non-fatal errors that could be temporarily overlooked. I'm still not sure on how to best format stat information in the messages and we need to have all messages uniform. I figured I'd do all of the research messages at the end once stat changes are finalized. Thanks for letting me know there are fatal errors Prot.

It should just be changing the message for twin heavy cannon from RES_CN7 --> RES_CN3MK1 on line 6541 in research.json. (assuming this is the actual problem, just guessing message.cpp is related to message.json)

I haven't actually added a RES_CN7 to messages.json yet.