Saving unit designs in skirmish

Discussions about AI types, units, tactics & strategy.
namaan
Greenhorn

Saving unit designs in skirmish

Post by namaan »

Hey guys, newbie here

i play offline skirmish games, and i wonder if theres a way to save designs in games ( as i hate having to design MG viper wheels every game)

i note that in the design screen there's a store design button, but this doesn't seem to work...

any ideas??
Guardsman Brendo
Trained
Trained

Re: Saving unit designs in skirmish

Post by Guardsman Brendo »

sometimes, I have to try saving it multiple times.
--As of the above time, this was the last transmission received.
namaan
Greenhorn

Post by namaan »

additional query, are the unit designs stored in the config file??
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

As far as I understand, saving templates does not work like this:
1) after clicking the save button, a template file is created.
2) before restarting it is available in all games
3) when the game is turned off or on, all the templates are deleted.
4) we again have no saved templates.

hack: before restarting the game, remove the right to modify the file.
Now the templates are saved, but the new ones can not be saved.
vaut ΣΑ [GN], ru streamer.
Tournaments channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzusNa-54ydodtSz2TdHFww
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Can someone please test if c693e7c11249692bd111c8d51acf024aa107c52e improved the unit design saving issues you've been having?
namaan
Greenhorn

Post by namaan »

Per wrote:Can someone please test if c693e7c11249692bd111c8d51acf024aa107c52e improved the unit design saving issues you've been having?
Hey Per,

Done some tests here, it seems to save some, but not all.

it looks like it overwrites old designs with new ones, but that's difficult to demonstrate.

example: i had designed some HMG Viper units (wheels and half-tracks) and they were added to the templates file ok, but a few more designs later, they had been and removed from the templates file.

will do a bit more and see what goes on.

UPDATE: Yeah, it overwrites designs randomly when you save new ones. weird as hell.....

cheers
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Hmm... I think I see something. It really does not like it when I tried to mess with the default truck template when I already had some stored templates from previous skirmishes. It... involves changing that default truck template to something else, saving that design, creating some more designs, deciding not to keep the design that was the default truck... or something like that. All I know is I have a really high success rate of encountering this bug when attempting to modify that default truck template that always reappears on each skirmish start.
namaan
Greenhorn

Post by namaan »

i've not done anything with the default truck, but its interesting to know that the strange stuff doesn't just happen to me.

EDIT: is there a a list of what the unit designer calls the bodies, propulsion types and weapons anywhere, as i wonder about manually writing the designs in the template file and removing modify permissions, as a workaround, until the lovely people that make this awesome game happen can suss it out

cheers
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

namaan wrote:EDIT: is there a a list of what the unit designer calls the bodies, propulsion types and weapons anywhere [...]
You can look them up in the game "data base", which is a ZIP archive named 'base.wz' and generated from source code files inside the folder './data/base/stats' (for the campaign) or './data/base/mp' (for skirmish/multiplayer).
namaan wrote:[...] as i wonder about manually writing the designs in the template file and removing modify permissions [...]
Good idea!
namaan
Greenhorn

Post by namaan »

Forgon wrote:
namaan wrote:EDIT: is there a a list of what the unit designer calls the bodies, propulsion types and weapons anywhere [...]
You can look them up in the game "data base", which is a ZIP archive named 'base.wz' and generated from source code files inside the folder './data/base/stats' (for the campaign) or './data/base/mp' (for skirmish/multiplayer).
namaan wrote:[...] as i wonder about manually writing the designs in the template file and removing modify permissions [...]
Good idea!

right,

i've tried a couple, but they don't work, my guess id i haven't written the json correctly ( i'm no coder, so this is new to me)....
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

namaan wrote:[...] i've tried a couple, but they don't work, my guess id i haven't written the json correctly ( i'm no coder, so this is new to me)....
Just upload the JSON files or paste their content. Your mistakes are likely trivial.
namaan
Greenhorn

Post by namaan »

ok, I've attached the template file with this reply. The first two are put in by the design menu and work, the third is my attempt at manually punching in a design for Twin MG viper wheels.

whats wrong with it??

cheers
Attachments
template.json
Template JSON file
(692 Bytes) Downloaded 265 times
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

namaan wrote:ok, I've attached the template file with this reply. The first two are put in by the design menu and work, the third is my attempt at manually punching in a design for Twin MG viper wheels. [...] whats wrong with it?? [...]
I spotted the following flaws:
  • naming the file 'template.json' instead of 'templates.json'
  • a brace in excess, at line 30, that prevents your file from being properly parsed.
  • mixing up tabs and spaces
  • a useless comma at the end of line 29.
A corrected version of your templates file is attached.
templates.json
corrected version of file 'templates.json'
(756 Bytes) Downloaded 308 times
namaan
Greenhorn

Post by namaan »

You sir, are a legend :D

i have been able to successfully design some units by manually coding them thanks to you, and they stay from game to game.

all i needed to do was make the templates file read-only, and it works a treat.
With luck the devs will fix this one conclusively in time, but at least i can save units designs this way for now.

thanks to all that contributed :)

now.... what to design next?!?! :lol2: