Artillery based AI

Discussions about AI types, units, tactics & strategy.
yzmakarov
Greenhorn

Artillery based AI

Post by yzmakarov »

Hello,

I am playing Warzone during many years but never seen an AI that can play smart with artillery.
Artillery is for me, the most interesting feature that only Warzone has. Real world armies uses artillery and air strikes to soften enemy resistance before tanks and infantry attacks.

I made an AI that uses artillery and i think it is the right place to share with you.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Artillery based AI

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

It is impressive that there is now an AI that uses sensor units with mortars effectively now. Something that all other AI lack at the moment.

Your AI does exceptionally well on T3 technology with bases, but struggles on T1/T2. Especially with T1 as it will be helpless until it researches mortars (maybe build defenses as it waits for mortars?)

There are some quirks I noticed:
1. Trucks focus only on oil derricks after some point in time (you could create groups of trucks that do different tasks).
2. It seems to take a while before it decides on what to research and may not use all research facilities as it could.
3. Research/VTOL modules take too long to be built.

Other than that, keep up the good work!
yzmakarov
Greenhorn

Post by yzmakarov »

Good to see you liked and thanks by the constructive criticism. :)

I made some changes that you may enjoy.

-The research path now gives priority to machine-guns on early game so it should not be a sitting duck on T1 and focus on researching weapons, hard-points and emplacements leaving damage, rate of fire and accuracy upgrades later.
-Build path will not give priority to power modules before everything else. So it can build alternately power, research and factory modules.
-Changes to avoid calling Warzone's API functions too much, got reduced stuttering (Looks like only me noticed it).

Another point is that it do not build the VTOL factory module because only uses light bodies for VTOLs. AA guns have a high damage bonus against VTOLs even for heavy bodies. They can be replaced faster with light bodies (It is easy to change if you want).

The truck builds the generator before the derrick so it will keep generating more power while other buildings on the base take some long time to be done (I think so, the derrick will keep stopped while the generator is not ready).

Have fun!
yzmakarov
Greenhorn

Post by yzmakarov »

I made some new changes for more focus on researching weapons with high rate of fire at early gameplay, such as machine-guns and mini rocket pod. Now it works better on T1.
yzmakarov
Greenhorn

Post by yzmakarov »

I made changes that you ill like.

-Mortars are now effectively helped by sensors so can fire farther and sensor turrets shows up early in game.
-Artillery tanks can take distance if too close to the target.
-Truck groups for build oil derricks and structures so they are more efficient on capturing oil (good idea Berserk Cyborg).
-Research focused on indirect and stronger weapons instead of a lot of weapons.
-Can play sea battles now (auto detect).
-The game can now be saved and loaded.
-Alike Nullbot you can load the personalities file to choose its weaponry or let it randomly pick one of the three.

Have fun!
Attachments
artilleriya-personalities.wz
Manually change the personality
(2.43 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
artilleriya-0.1.wz
(18.82 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

I played 2v2 on T1 and T3 with advanced bases against it and it fought really well during my matches. I really like how it balances building defenses and when to produce a unit so it is much more difficult to defeat. I did not notice anything else that would be a problem.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

what I liked to do was some hit and run to be annoying, I recall using small groups of pepperpots and bunker busters to strike fast then get out again. Surprised how effective that was at times.
JrmyR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JrmyR »

Very fun and aggressive AI :)

But I think it waste too much power creating units, in the beginning, particularly on low power maps.

Anyway, you should add it in Addons section.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

how much time will you spend working to improve this AI? I could make a few tests vs this one.
yzmakarov
Greenhorn

Post by yzmakarov »

I´m very busy with my work. But I still plan some improvements. Sorry for the delay.
I did this while I was unable to go to work because of an illness.
yzmakarov
Greenhorn

Artillery based AI

Post by yzmakarov »

Update:
- Fixed research bug.
- Fixed bug on loading a save.
- Small change on research tree.
Last edited by yzmakarov on 07 Jan 2022, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
yzmakarov
Greenhorn

Post by yzmakarov »

artillery.wz
(19.13 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
artillery-personalities.wz
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 170 times