Efficient Turtle Strategy Build?

Discussions about AI types, units, tactics & strategy.
Prince Blueblood
Rookie
Rookie

Efficient Turtle Strategy Build?

Post by Prince Blueblood »

Ah well, before you say "You shouldn't turtle, you should take the initiative etc..." keep in mind that I already knew that taking the initiative and bold counterattack is a better ways to defeat AI opponents even on hard.

But that means playing mostly with T1 and T2 level weapons, no time in skirmish to play with T3 late game weapons unless you start in T3...

So, having a bit of epiphany here, anyone has reccomendation of research so I can avoid build too many tanks at first and defend mostly with towers instead of start tower-ing in T2?
The Overlord
Trained
Trained

Re: Efficient Turtle Strategy Build?

Post by The Overlord »

If you are playing against the AI, building a bunch of machine gun bunkers in the choke points is an effective strategy - also keep in mind that they can shoot over each other. Behind them, I would put some sort of anti-tank hard-point and some mortars behind that. If you block it off fully you can place a truck behind them to repair them as they fire. To me, getting to T3 in a low-oil (less than 20 oils or something like that) against AIs is kinda boring, but turtle-ing isn't that hard if you research correctly and play the map well.
Warzone 2100 is love, life.
Member of the BDC clan and adept at multiplayer battles. Feel free to PM me questions about multiplayer.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Sorry.. posted in error. :oops:

Prince Blueblood
Rookie
Rookie

By the way, right now I think I just get something that worked like charm when I want to turtle up and let enemies push their tanks futilely toward my prepared towers...

Oh well, this is technically stunting enemy growths, with early bug VTOLs equipped with mini-rocket pod... destroying their factory and research centres and forcing them back to stone age again... :lol2: well, in 1vs1 Nullbot AI didn't have any chance at all, FFA is a bit better situation for the AI, but still...

Oh yeah, this trick somehow don't work against Nexus AI in hard, they seems to pump out the latest tech available despite getting their research centres constantly blown up by my VTOLs... O_o

Remind me if there's any tower defense mod in this game XD
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Prince Blueblood wrote:
Oh yeah, this trick somehow don't work against Nexus AI in hard, they seems to pump out the latest tech available despite getting their research centres constantly blown up by my VTOLs... O_o
In single player mode (but not multiplayer mode), the Nexus AI can cheat with a much faster research speed.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Remind me if there's any tower defense mod in this game
[1].
Prince Blueblood
Rookie
Rookie

NoQ wrote:
Remind me if there's any tower defense mod in this game
[1].
Ouch... that was....... EXCELLENT :P :P :P :P :P 8) XD XD XD
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

in 1vs1 Nullbot AI didn't have any chance at all
BTW, could you see if it's easier or harder on the updated NullBot? link.
Prince Blueblood
Rookie
Rookie

NoQ wrote:
in 1vs1 Nullbot AI didn't have any chance at all
BTW, could you see if it's easier or harder on the updated NullBot? link.
Just downloading it...

Oh well, we'll see soon... :( :o :shock:

ADD : Oh well... Too many AI for the GUI to handle? Only 10 will be shown? I just need to get new NullBot 2.11 because the extra personalities are just extra then? So far... Not much I can say, I'll try to play a whole skirmish game first... but my attempt at ground rush seems to hit a bad mark XD (they actually attack my base from behind :shock: )
Prince Blueblood
Rookie
Rookie

Aanndddd... the report... XD

1 vs 1 :

Second Try *first time I lose because I forgot to put some MG towers on my backdoor* : Map : Snowbridge
The initial Rushes are definitely scarier than before, but then, they can't crack MG Tower defenses (but yes, they destroy quite a lot of my trucks). Their defense is a bit filmsier this time (too much power invested for first attack?), and a quick counterattack made by Assault Gun Cobra Hover found their base rather empty and tearing down their structures are easy... O_o Must admit that while the new NullBot AI is harder to defend at the beginning, they are pretty much sitting duck in one vs one after focusing almost purely to get Assault Gun ASAP.

Third Try : Map : High Ground
Ah yes, the initial rushes are definitely scarier, again... but a firm sprinkling of MG towers at my base stop the invasion force dead... at least on this map they actually defend themselves (not quite crackable with Assault Gun Cobra Hover attacks), but still, when I bide my time, playing defensive on the center and holding it with combination of HV Cannon hardopoints, and soon Twin Assault Gun Hardpoints, they can't cross that... (they sent artillery too late because I already have Assault Gun VTOLs at this point, so their artilleries are easy prey)... Tech up until Twin assault Cannons Mantis Hover and with some Twin assault gun as anti-cyborg anti air measures, they're toast...

Conclusion: Oh well, they're quite good at first attacks, but then, they're somewhat exhausting themselves and can't really catch up in the middle game if they're pressed by dancing hover tanks... I'll try FFA to look into their mid-late game potential (while I can just bunkered up and set towers), but for somewhat reasons, NullBot 2.07 is better in making you not Steamroll-ing their bases... in 1 vs 1 :)
Prince Blueblood
Rookie
Rookie

And speaking on FFA, they're on average doing be... wat? one of those NullBot AI are destroyed by Frickin SCAVENGERS? (I also use your new AI for Scavengers, but...) oh well...
Tux101
Greenhorn

Post by Tux101 »

(Yay. First post)

Pretty much all my skirmish games are T3 with advance bases on teams. So I love to turtle. You should turtling on the map Hide'n'Seek (personal favorite). Even though there isn't much room in your base to move around the choke points to the side of the walls are perfect for turtling.