Big issue that needs to be addressed ASAP

Discussions about AI types, units, tactics & strategy.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Big issue that needs to be addressed ASAP

Post by Rommel »

There is a fool in MP that is basically using trucks to wall in team mates factories so that they can't produce units adn from what I have seen there is no real way to destroy a team mates stuff, so basically you spend ages getting a game going and then this ass**** comes along and ruins it for everyone.

So what can we do to address this issue? What can we do to stop this (or other) Jokers from ruining games left, right and center...

IP address for kick? Seen this doesn't work so well as some users can still enter game lobbies after they been kicked.

I believe the only solution is to allow you to be able to destroy team mates walls (nothing else mind you as this idiot would just destroy your entire base lol).

I ended up stopping to play today because of him, just ruins the whole game. :(
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Re: Big issue that needs to be addressed ASAP

Post by Rommel »

thinking more, that probably wouldn't even work cause he could just wall you in with hardpoints, etc. I guess since he is not there to play anyway, the only thing is to kick him.

This kind of thing really brings up the issue of being able to ID players properly, the current system is just too easily spoofed as you can easily set your rank by editing a file and then take on anyones name that you want.

A way to resolve this could be to have a central user database hosted by wz.net and have players require a user account login to play mp via the wz server.
Seems to me absurd
~
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

So what can we do to address this issue? What can we do to stop this (or other) Jokers from ruining games left, right and center...
Ask host to kick them in game?
A way to resolve this could be to have a central user database hosted by wz.net and have players require a user account login to play mp via the wz server.
There has been an attempt to merge forum authentication into the game (master had this feature working for a while), not sure what went wrong.
Ezio
Trained
Trained

Post by Ezio »

NoQ wrote:There has been an attempt to merge forum authentication into the game (master had this feature working for a while), not sure what went wrong.
we try that already didn't we?, people got annoyed because they cant use their usual username since another people already registered it.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Ezio wrote: we try that already didn't we?, people got annoyed because they cant use their usual username since another people already registered it.
I can understand this, but really the pro's outweigh this one con. You could let the user choose their ingame name, yet still have it bound by the user login for ID purposes. The main thing is to be able to id the user as well as get rid of spoofing (via editing the rank file).
Seems to me absurd
~
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

@Rommel: Looks like you've encountered a griefer, a type of troll that gets their fun at others' expense. While how common or how rare they are varies from game to game, they're not a new problem, and can be found on pretty much any online game nowadays. Only thing you can do is to not play with them, or to start arranging for private matches that can only be accessed via password (that should only be provided to those that you'd want to invite).

As far as giving a unique identifier for players when it's possible for them to change their names, being able to view their IP address would help. It could also help if hosts were able to set up their games in such a way so that those that wanted to join a game would enter a queue (that can be much bigger than the max number of allowed players on a map), and would require the host's approval before actually joining in.

By the way, have you tried force-firing on allied units and structures? I do this to test out the balance between different kinds of units when I was developing Contingency's balance system.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

we try that already didn't we?
That's exactly what i said (:
people got annoyed because they cant use their usual username since another people already registered it.
I don't think it was the reason; it was something like storing forum passwords in plain text or something like that which didn't work, not sure what exactly.
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

Rommel wrote:There is a fool in MP that is basically using trucks to wall in team mates factories so that they can't produce units adn from what I have seen there is no real way to destroy a team mates stuff, so basically you spend ages getting a game going and then this ass**** comes along and ruins it for everyone.

IP address for kick? Seen this doesn't work so well as some users can still enter game lobbies after they been kicked.

I believe the only solution is to allow you to be able to destroy team mates walls (nothing else mind you as this idiot would just destroy your entire base lol).

I ended up stopping to play today because of him, just ruins the whole game. :(
you can't get back in once you kick someone
you can force shoot at walls that are not yours but just get the host to kick them and problem is solved
thinking more, that probably wouldn't even work cause he could just wall you in with hardpoints, etc. I guess since he is not there to play anyway, the only thing is to kick him.

This kind of thing really brings up the issue of being able to ID players properly, the current system is just too easily spoofed as you can easily set your rank by editing a file and then take on anyones name that you want.

how is that going to make any game better?
you can generate tons of accounts if you want and you can still edit the rank file
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

the game is too hard to play while your under pressure this is why new people can't get a grasp on the tech tree and understand which unit is better and why
that means that new people join a game get trounced and then don't bother playing again
playing the same game over and over is also getting boring since nothing new or unexpected is going on so people stop playing this game and move on to something else
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

If we could script the UI it would allow experimentation that could help visualise the tech tree better, in particular make it more obvious which weapon branches are researched or what the effects of techs are, etc. I've been playing Contingency Mod a lot recently and the UI is unhelpful in that I can't work out if weapon A is better than weapon B for given task, etc.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

you can still edit the rank file
Not if it's on the server.
I ended up stopping to play today because of him, just ruins the whole game.
I, personally, ended up stopping playing with anonymous people in general many years ago. I only play with IRC channel members, which is pretty much the same thing as in-game login, and also provides a thing equivalent to lobby chat, which is unavailable in game currently. Just join IRC, it has been there for eternity on the website front page, it doesn't require anything but a browser, and it solves all your "troll problems".
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

NoQ wrote:
you can still edit the rank file
Not if it's on the server.
what difference would that make?
the server needs to be told what went on still and that can be abused as it is abused now
I ended up stopping to play today because of him, just ruins the whole game.
I, personally, ended up stopping playing with anonymous people in general many years ago. I only play with IRC channel members, which is pretty much the same thing as in-game login, and also provides a thing equivalent to lobby chat, which is unavailable in game currently. Just join IRC, it has been there for eternity on the website front page, it doesn't require anything but a browser, and it solves all your "troll problems".
playing with the same IRC people all the time gets boring and that doesn't solve the troll problem
right now the IRC hosters kick anyone that they don't know or need to free up slots and that is rude
Duha
Trained
Trained

Post by Duha »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote: being able to view their IP address would help.
FYI: In some countries people have dynamic IP. My internet provider has pool of IP-addresses and give me one on each connection. In some places I banned for no reason :)
http://addons.wz2100.net/ developer