Combined arms effect

Discussions about AI types, units, tactics & strategy.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Re: Combined arms effect

Post by Rommel »

Ah gotcha, so it is a price thing - ie I should test spending the same amount of money/energy on both groups. I will try this at some stage.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Just as a follow up, in NTW games I have been using cobra HMG right up until I get to twin assault cannons and it is doing well, with the rapid fire upgrades you get quite a powerful army up really quick - plus more money to spend on defenses. What normally happens is that the opponent attacks early and wastes all his units on my D and then I can attack his D and a lot of the time my cobra HMG punches right thru and then I am at his base, at this time most opponents are trying to produce python lancers, etc and they just don't have the time to build up critical mass.

Even when attacked by a superior force the cobra HMG with good defences and mortar can take out a far larger army, many times I have fended off two players combined with this. In the end there is the need to switch to the twin Assault cannon once the arty gets up though.

Maybe if I put a few lancers into the mix it might become more powerful with the combined arms theory you have, or maybe the energy is better spent on defenses. Or maybe, once again, I am completely off topic!
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

As I told NoQ, his theory work, but only in theory.

On the battlefield, who shoot what wont fall into the utopian dream NoQ made here. The extra energy you have to spend in research for rockets (or mg) even in NTW gonna conflict with the gain you can derive from it.

If your team already use both mg and cannons in a game, there is no reason to try to use lancers as well.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

The extra energy you have to spend in research for rockets (or mg) even in NTW gonna conflict with the gain you can derive from it.
You expect pure rockets to work at all in a competitive game? Obviously you will have some MG research.
If your team already use both mg and cannons in a game, there is no reason to try to use lancers as well.
I never said anything like that.
On the battlefield, who shoot what wont fall into the utopian dream NoQ made here.
I don't yet see anything to support this statement.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Rommel wrote:
I've been using a similar strategy, no matter what map I'm on.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

NoQ wrote:
The extra energy you have to spend in research for rockets (or mg) even in NTW gonna conflict with the gain you can derive from it.
You expect pure rockets to work at all in a competitive game? Obviously you will have some MG research.
He was talking about mg + cannon build. And he asked : "Shall I throw lancers in". I agree that if he have no anti-borgs he will be probably screwed, but he could have plan flamers instead of MG.

I have to agree that the effect you notice is real. But it also work in different concentration with other weapons. All-in-all not as big as becoming a real motivation in the game. If the design layer was fixed properly (with light/medium/heavy body and propulsion choices) then you would find much more "design synergy" in the game.

Just saying... you are overstating all this a bit. Don't get mad on me. :D

Effigy : You do so mostly because top players (as far as I can remember) vowed to stop using much flamers. So you are bound to use MG as anti-borg. And because of many small factors (such as this one), rockets work better with MG. So you we all end up playing MG+rox. but just because a good flamer+cannon is so much OP it's not even fun.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.