Weapon Range

Discussions about AI types, units, tactics & strategy.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Weapon Range

Post by Rommel »

I see in the guide we have range close/long and I am wondering what dictates this, I see research upgrades for damage and accuracy, but what upgrades range - as a guess sensor upgrades?
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Re: Weapon Range

Post by Reg312 »

Rommel wrote:I see in the guide we have range close/long and I am wondering what dictates this, I see research upgrades for damage and accuracy, but what upgrades range - as a guess sensor upgrades?
range of weapons is constant.
but also your tanks have "sensor range" - when you get sensor upgrade then your units get longer sensor range, but range of fire still constant
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

press shift F12
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

so this is to do with the short/optimum/long command? if you look at howitzer the difference is quite striking (15- 39). also when bound to a sensor turret will this control how far they trail back? I have noticed that bound long range units seem to trail real close for a turret that has such long range.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

They are trailing behind the sensors sensor range, not the sensor. So if the sensor locks on to something at it's max sensor range, the arty will be in range of that target.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Stratadrake
Trained
Trained

Post by Stratadrake »

I know all about range. Every weapon has three range stats, but the most obvious are these two:
- Minimum range
- Maximum range

A unit's maximum effective range also depends on its equipped sensor (all units have internal sensors). E.g. Scourge missiles can hit from up to 16 squares away but the user is generally limited to an 8-square sight range before they can actually shoot it. On the plus side though, this means certain weapons can actually get a range bonus when you do your sensor upgrades.

The third range stat, "short range", is the preferred attack range when you tell a unit to strike at "short range". When you tell a unit to strike at "long range", it will attack anything within its maximum range (personal sight range permitting).

Related to range is accuracy: Every weapon has a "short range" accuracy and "long range" accuracy. The way WZ computes it is simple -- if the range-to-target is less than the weapon's "short range" value, the game uses short-range accuracy. If it's higher, the game uses long-range accuracy. Some weapons are more accurate at short range while others are more accurate at long.

And finally: The default setting of "optimum range" means the unit will decide for itself whether to use "short range" or "long range", depending on which one gives it better accuracy. E.g, MG's will fight up close and personal (better short range accuracy) while Lancers strike from far back (better long range accuracy).

There is one other side effect to be aware of: When a unit wants to attack at long range, if the opponent is fleeing then the user potentially might not get any attacks off at all, especially if they have to stop moving before they can actually shoot the weapon: They give chase, get within range, stop to fire, enemy goes out of range the moment they stop, so they give chase again ... note that this is a pretty specific (and mostly hypothetical) situation but if you ever run into it you'd actually do better telling the unit to strike at short range.
Strata @dA, @FAC
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

The range settings are removed in WZ 3.2, everything now uses long range.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
o0hshift
Rookie
Rookie

Post by o0hshift »

tested: range shoot

1.with hydra body:
first weapon: heavy laser range = 16
second weapon: gauss canon range = 14

-> name: heavy laser hydra..... -> heavy laser shoot before gauss canon

2. and with hydra body:
first weapon: gauss canon range = 14
second weapon: heavy laser range = 16

-> name:gauss canon hydra..... -> heavy laser and gauss canon shoot at time (range = 14)