Oil barrels

Discussions about AI types, units, tactics & strategy.
Retributer
Greenhorn

Oil barrels

Post by Retributer »

Hey everyone.
I was wondering, I've been completely pwned by my opponents a few times because they had 40+ units when I had barely 20. They tell me they just produce with all 5 factories, and get the resources thanks to oil barrels, but how can they find these barrels so easily ? Is there a tip to locate them quickly, or is it just a matter of practice ? When I look over the map I never see them. Sometimes I find one or two, but really randomly, so I'd like to know how it's possible to find them so quickly.
Thanks in advance.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Re: Oil barrels

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Some maps may have pre-placed oil barrels. These can be seen as a dark-greenish smudge on the map preview. As for finding random oil barrels, you'll need to be vigilant, and scout often.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Retributer
Greenhorn

Post by Retributer »

I guess I'll have to practice a lot then... thanks for your answer.
The map was Emergence, the default 10 player map. I don't think there are pre-placed oil barrels but I may be mistaken.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

They might be cheating or you might be too slow on start. The power module research + construction (for exemple) gives 86% more power. Which is pretty much like the 2:1 unit ratio you are reporting.

The same situation may happen if you dont deploy you trucks fast enough and you dont get the fair amount of oil you deserve. You can easily stay stucked with you 4 starting oil while the enemy steal the other 4 oil you should get... You end up with 12:4 power ratio and can potentially die quickly from that.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Retributer
Greenhorn

Post by Retributer »

Nah, the map was huge, I got my 8 oils quickly, plus one from someone else (which I kept 2 minutes but eh, worth it). As for the power module I researched it asap too so his advantage didn't come from here. It's really about those oil barrels.
Mmh, I just checked the map again, there's no "default" oil barrels on the map (since there were scavengers in the center I thought there might be some barrels as well) and most of the barrels spawned on unreachable areas. So the more I think of it the more I think this guy might have cheated.
I don't want to think so though. His units were Twin Machinegun Viper Wheels, it's not expansive, and I don't think he researched anything except MG dmg.
Retributer
Greenhorn

Post by Retributer »

I surely didn't play well enough, I really suck at RTS online ^^'. I don't play agressive enough. My micro is bad too (actually I have almost none, in warzone, all I know is hit&run with rocket launchers.
But the guy must have been really lucky with his barrels. As I said I don't want to think he cheated. I wasn't the first player he crushed, so he could have taken others' oils too.
With one barrel, you can make about two units, right ? (I mean Viper MG wheels)
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Retributer wrote:I wasn't the first player he crushed, so he could have taken others' oils too.
If it was that late, then nothing is certain.

P.S. i believe oil barrels should be removed, see ideas/suggestions (:
Retributer
Greenhorn

Post by Retributer »

Just noticed oil barrels actually don't appear when they are in the FoW... this help, somehow. But are they visible if they're generated in an area you already explored, but aren't watching ? I think they are, but I'm not sure.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

They are created anywhere, including in FoW, just that you can't see them in FoW heh. You'll only notice them if you have sensors up to light the ground. Your opponent prolly just moves around the map a lot more than you do and thus gains more barrels by chance.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Was it teams? Cause you can give units to a team mate so someone might have given him their units - I know I do this sometimes, last night me and Core were owning in the initial rush cause I was like doubling his army.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Retributer
Greenhorn

Post by Retributer »

Nope, it was FFA.
I've kinda improved myself, I realise the army he sent me was just a little bigger than what I may have now. Still, he sure was lucky with his barrels.
Staff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Staff »

Hijacked thread moved to viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10559
Sorry, this account has been deactivated.
Please post issues in Website feedback instead, only Moderators can read things there.