Great game, except for one thing.

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
jmhoffer
New user

Great game, except for one thing.

Post by jmhoffer »

First, I'd like to say, I think this is a great game. Makes a heck of a lot more sense than most games you have to pay for out there. I just have one problem. Why does just about every campaign mission have a time limit? Not only is no reason given at any point in time for the time limits, but it absolutely screws over people like me who suck at doing anything other than turtling. Yeah, my tactics are that of the French, but unless I'm playing a Total War game pre-Empire, I turtle. Those time limits suck. They keep making me make hasty moves that I wouldn't do otherwise, causing me to screw up and lose.

That's my only complaint, so if someone could tell me how to turn those stupid time limits off, I'd appreciate it.
Dalton
Trained
Trained

Re: Great game, except for one thing.

Post by Dalton »

The campaign was designed with time limits in mind, that is the only thing that makes it at all challenging. If the time limits were removed it would be too easy and would have to be completely redesigned. You could always make a mod, but I would suggest looking at some tutorial/walkthrough like viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3051 or http://www.youtube.com/TheDaltx and try to get better.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

While I agree with all of Dalton's post....

If you really feel the need... there is a Time Toggle cheat which turns the Timer's Off...

It's all explained here: http://guide.wz2100.net/cheats

- Rman. :hmm:

NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Not only is no reason given at any point in time for the time limits, but it absolutely screws over people like me who suck at doing anything other than turtling. Yeah, my tactics are that of the French, but unless I'm playing a Total War game pre-Empire, I turtle. Those time limits suck. They keep making me make hasty moves that I wouldn't do otherwise, causing me to screw up and lose.
Sounds like the problem is in the user rather that in the game :D nvm.
Well, time limits teach you something no other game will teach you. They teach you how to be wise and patient and act quickly at the same time. That's exactly something i *love* in Warzone 2100 campaign. The campaign becomes *very* easy once you have learned this.
WarTux
Trained
Trained

Post by WarTux »

Yup, the campaign can be a shocker for those used to turtling (like me before I got mildly good at RTS's), but once you have down the basics, it's a piece of cake. Remember that you always have to push, otherwise you can't win. ;)

It's different in skirmish of course (when you can turtle on your silly little high-power maps).
Warzone nicknames: WarTux[BDC], ChuckNorris-BDC, DeathStar, etc.
Part of the Black Dragon Clan; apply today, we welcome most! :3
On the Warzone IRC channel you can find me hanging out with the BDC dudes or messing with the bot.
Vision1084
Greenhorn

Post by Vision1084 »

Most of the time limits are very generous. I almost never feel too pressured for time and I am halfway through the beta campaign. My main complaint besides the frustrating pathfinding (This existed in the original game I believe) is that the enemy has ripple rockets and howitzers that destroy my top units in 1 blow from halfway across the map. Not much I can do to defend it.
LZ compromised
Trained
Trained

Post by LZ compromised »

Yeah, you could probably subtract 30 minutes from every mission and it wouldn't hurt at all. Campaign is fairly easy once you get the hang of it, although turtling in WZ2100 looks a bit clumsy, what with all the artillery and tanks blocking each others' paths when they retreat.

Two ways to use extra time every mission are to research everything and stock up on oil, but then again, you won't need that much oil. Especially in the last third of Gamma, where you'll see your oil sitting at 100k (it doesn't get any further than that).

The very last mission has no timer, but I would advice against turtling there.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
—Bill Cosby
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

the enemy has ripple rockets and howitzers that destroy my top units in 1 blow from halfway across the map.
Three solutions to this.
1. Micromanagement.
2. Micromanagement.
3. Micromanagement.
JakeGrey
Trained
Trained

Post by JakeGrey »

Isn't micromanagement generally considered a negative point in video games these days, let alone modern combined-arms warfare of the sort that WZ strives to emulate somewhat?
Vision1084
Greenhorn

Post by Vision1084 »

I'm thinking of the transport missions where you get attacked right at the lz. I managed to counter it on this one I am on just by building a couple of ripple rockets at the LZ and a cb tower. As long as I don't send my units in sight prematurely they don't attack me. Everytime the howitzer emplacement or ripple rockets attacked me mine would target them. I just keep quitting this mission as my units trying to repair cause a bottleneck and they all die. There are very narrow pathways to the enemy base. I also only have 1 commander left due to the commander bug where I would recycle a commander and the game doesn't realize it is gone and won't let me train anymore commanders. Hopefully these issues will be fixed soon though I am sure they are a difficult fix.

So micromanagement isn't really the issue.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

So, jmhoffer, just curiously alliterative - out of this plethora of proslytizing posts what have you found positively proactive to your Campaign timer panning & predicament ? ;)

- Rman :hmm:
LZ compromised
Trained
Trained

Post by LZ compromised »

Vision1084 wrote:I'm thinking of the transport missions where you get attacked right at the lz. I managed to counter it on this one I am on just by building a couple of ripple rockets at the LZ and a cb tower. As long as I don't send my units in sight prematurely they don't attack me. Everytime the howitzer emplacement or ripple rockets attacked me mine would target them. I just keep quitting this mission as my units trying to repair cause a bottleneck and they all die. There are very narrow pathways to the enemy base.
Well, tough luck. Such is Warzone 2100: if you care about your units, you're destined to reload time and time again. The campaign still plays the same it did in 1999, with the same neat concepts, weapon balance and design flaws it was born with.

I can relate. This mission you talk about is one of the most frustrating for mama-bear-style players like me. It took a while to learn how to dodge ripple barrages.
Vision1084 wrote:I also only have 1 commander left due to the commander bug where I would recycle a commander and the game doesn't realize it is gone and won't let me train anymore commanders. Hopefully these issues will be fixed soon though I am sure they are a difficult fix.
That's weird. You're supposed to have as much commanders as you want. Are you sure you have a Command Center built?
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
—Bill Cosby
icyflames
Trained
Trained

Post by icyflames »

Campaign is extremely easy when at the end of each mission you prepare for the next. So save frequently...
Frogmorton
Trained
Trained

Post by Frogmorton »

That mission with the ripple rockets and howitzers covering the LZ was one of the best challenges I have encountered yet. It was also when I learnt to use VTOLs to bomb the ripple rockets before attempting to move forward. It was great, took many hours and led me thru a broad range of emotions, e.g. despair, deperation, triumph etc.

Don't recall many games in the last few years that have been so difficult whilst still making me want to continue trying.