The *NEW* Warzone walkthrough (Done with RED units)

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
ApologetixFan
New user

Re: The *NEW* Warzone walkthrough (Done with RED units)

Post by ApologetixFan »

RE: ALPHA 8 Stage,

I have done this stage twice and my units get clobbered before I even get to the bunker. What is going on? This stage is impossible.

D
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Does it involve fire damage? Then it's broken in 2.3.2 and 2.3.3.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

cybersphinx wrote:Does it involve fire damage? Then it's broken in 2.3.2 and 2.3.3.
I'm nearly sure that you don't have enough armor to trigger the overflow bug at Alpha 8. Heck, I don't even think you have a single thermal armor upgrade at that point. Besides, the only source of fire damage in Alpha 8 is flamers, and it's easy enough to destroy all flamers before they get in range.
ApologetixFan
New user

Post by ApologetixFan »

Ok. I have done the BETA4 stage three time now. I have never seen the commander. Where does he come from?

Oops, temporarily disregard this post. Didn't look far enough back as others were having this problem.
Arreon
Trained
Trained

Post by Arreon »

Seems like the 100KB limit everyone hated has been lifted.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

It's 11PM right now, I'll try out a run tomorrow. See if it takes my pictures.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Gamma 3

Soon.

But as a preview, I give you: Air Force 1. and 2. and 3. and... 20.
G3_bombers.JPG
Check back tomorrow night :)
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

I'm writing it up now, but since it's been months, I'm trying to refresh my memory what the circles on some of the screenshots are. BRT.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Gamma 3

"All your Base are Belong to Us" - Revenge of the B52's
G3_overview.JPG
Last stage hit you with a surprise "rush" event. This one hits you with a "oh goshdernit" event.

Let me explain the overview here:

Point 1 is the only land-connection to the northern part of the map. A small NEXUS force will approach from here, after which NEXUS's land attacks will basically be done (unless some of the force retreats to repair).

Points 2, 3, and 4 are nexus "outposts".

At the circled blue "AIR" warning, Nexus planes just like to spontaneously spawn and bomb you. If your AA line in the NW corner is robust, they will only get 1 structure and then all blow up; replace the structure as needed (which will be until about when you deal with the base at 4)

5 is the Gamma Base that you are supposed to "rescue", though NEXUS doesn't seem very focused on attacking it...

And the green X... I'll get to later.

2 and 4 have towers, SAMs, and units in them...

2)
G3_SE.JPG
4)
G3_SW.JPG

The SAMs are going to be the issue here, as anything you "fly over" is going to be shot the instant it crests the mountain cliff.

Which sounds like... a perfect job for a STUPIDVTOL.

Assuming you have sufficient towers guarding the pass at 1, the first thing you should do is dispatch a suicidal VTOL into point 2. It will get splattified, but will kick off the firing of all that artillery you have at the base... which will cause the Nexus Rockets at 3 to fire back... which will cause you to fire back at the rockets. If you prepped at the end of Gamma1 as I said, the Nexus launchers will be devistated well before your own line.

When the artillery quiets down, send a few more scrub VTOLS into point 2; you will want to keep "looking" at this area until your Artillery has dispatched the SAM sites. After that, select all your Bombers and 1 more STUPID to sail in there and bomb all the units/towers (NEXUS has two heavy-SAM-launcher hovertanks in there, which is why the STUPIDVTOL is going in first). Base 2, finished.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Once you've dealt with 2, (including the 5 or 6 cyborgs who like to stand on the mountain W of the depression), your next target should be... 3!
G3_NE.JPG
Real simple. Pick your bombers again, and 1 STUPIDVTOL, and sail them up the right side of the map to this area. Bomb the SAMS and the CB tower (the angel batteries should be long dead). Simple.

And now with 3 down, we move onto.. four!

Same as with 2, send in some STUPIDs, and watch your artillery bring it down... and kick off the "goshdernit".

As soon as the NEXUS command center is taken out, NEXUS "activates" itself in Gamma. To describe "NEXUS activation"... think Borg, only with a sense of humor.
G3_X-base.JPG
In one snap of the fingers, this base completely converts to NEXUS control. They're gone, Jim.

Luckily, for all us cold, calculating Project Commanders, we can immediately get over the loss of the people here, and revel in the realization that Gamma isn't very well equipped. Other than those "NEXUS" towers, most of what they have is stuff you've had since early BETA.

And the only NEXUS help they will have is 4 hovertanks SE of the base, and anything from base #4 that got out alive.

Furthermore, your timer gets a nice, healthy boost to it, allowing for LOTS of power-leeching in this stage.

Time to send the Cavalry to Gamma.. though not in the way they had originally hoped.
G3_bombers.JPG

Note: Gamma base is rather poor, but they have a fair # of AA guns. Be sure to take out the 4 NEXUS hovertanks SE of the base before going after the base proper (there is a heavy-SAM among the tanks), and when you finally do go after the base, do something that I've never advocated before, and never will again:

Set your Bomber fleet to Retreat at Medium.

Against SAMs, turning and running is a waste, as you get chased down. But against AA guns, which operate on "small damage, high rate" methods, having a plane turn around when it gets to 75% will be easily enough for it to run away alive.

Give some queue-ed orders to take out the AA pits first. The Assault Gun towers are of little concern.

Whatever you do, if for some reason you have land units in this stage, do NOT send them in. Those spiky-shaped towers are the ones that turned Gamma into a NEXUS base. you send in tanks, they will turn them too (slowly mind you, but losing nothing > losing small #s).

The purple circles in the Gamma picture are the structures that have the Research modules in them. After you are done blowing up the things that can fire back, take these out so that your research teams can get to work again. They Cyborg factory can be left to draw the stage out.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

All in all, this stage was probably less hectic than G2 was. But we now have a nice hour to prep ourselves, so... lets!

The tech that you find in this stage are the:

Flashlight Laser (base 2)
Improved Research Speed (base 4)
Artillery accuracy (base 5)
Cannon reload speed (base 5)
Retribution Body (base 5).

Nice... Gamma had access to a NEXUS body and didn't use it? We'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they didn't have time before getting zappo-ed.

The Flashlight Laser is going to be your replacement for the Assault Gun. Go ahead and update your Design screen for this; we'll worry about recycling all those tanks that still have the AG that are sitting in a nuked-mountainside later.

When the stage is in "milk mode", create an Away team for yourself, consisting of your desired mix of Flashlight, HC, and TK tanks; and make sure you also have at least 3 trucks you can spare. Next mission is going to be about economy, so don't build like mad; 1 load is all you will want (although extra trucks for a 2nd shipment might not be a bad idea). If you have to choose though, going heavy on the Laser is the best choice; both Cyborgs and tanks will be in G4 at the start, but more cybrogs will "zone in" than tanks in the long run.

But before we head to G4, you will want to prepare for G5. With... this.

Near the X-Gamma base:
G3northguard.JPG

the SW corner:
G3_SWguard.JPG

and your "main base":
G3_SouthGuard.JPG

Just like in G1, I am covering all my OWN structures with copious amounts of AG bunkers. Don't worry, you'll see why eventually.

IF you want to wait for the Flashlight research to finish first to use Flashlight defenses, be my guest. You should have a good hour of timer to kill.

And now for the Green X in the stage overview:

As of the 1.10 version of the game, and still present in the 2.1/2.2 series, G5 has an oddity that... well, without spoiling anything, seems to NOT affect planes, but it WILL affect just about everything else. So we want to keep our planes detatched from most of "the base". Once they are done being repaired/rearmed from their runs to X-Gamma, sit them all at the Green X in preparation for Gamma5.

If this "oddity" is NOT true in the new 2.3 release series, then... disregard this advice if you want, but putting them here can't hurt ;p. They will get used in G5 eventually, and the green X is closer to where they will get used than your landing pads most likely.

Once your defenses are up, your away team is ready, your planes are "locationally adjusted", and you grabbed a bite to eat while waiting for the timer, take out the last of X-Gamma to end the stage.

END GAMMA3
marsbound2024
Trained
Trained

Post by marsbound2024 »

Keep up the good work themousemaster! Please compile this in a PDF format if you can so it can be hosted and downloaded. I think that would be a great idea, personally. Otherwise, at least we have this thread to go off of for those needing assistance.
ApologetixFan
New user

Post by ApologetixFan »

Made it through Beta 11 Evac with 50,000+ credits to spare. Arrive at Gamma 1 with 0 credits and no way to get any. What is going on?
Djoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Djoe »

Some sort of glitch. Usually you get 16,000. You can still win. Get your units all delivered and take out the base due north of you. There are a bunch of oil barrels in that base and will give you enough power to get your own power plants and derricks going. It is harder but do-able.
ApologetixFan
New user

Post by ApologetixFan »

Actually figured it out. I left 4 units when the Beta base was destroyed. If I recycle those before the base is destroyed, I get the 16,000 credits. Sometimes I have no patience. ugh.