The *NEW* Warzone walkthrough (Done with RED units)

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Re: The *NEW* Warzone walkthrough (Done with RED units)

Post by themousemaster »

ApologetixFan wrote:Actually figured it out. I left 4 units when the Beta base was destroyed. If I recycle those before the base is destroyed, I get the 16,000 credits. Sometimes I have no patience. ugh.
That really shouldn't happen. You are supposed to start with 16K cash when Gamma1 starts (no matter what your BETA total was), whether you got all the units out or not. Sounds like a bug.
Outlaw325
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Outlaw325 »

themousemaster wrote:
ApologetixFan wrote:Actually figured it out. I left 4 units when the Beta base was destroyed. If I recycle those before the base is destroyed, I get the 16,000 credits. Sometimes I have no patience. ugh.
That really shouldn't happen. You are supposed to start with 16K cash when Gamma1 starts (no matter what your BETA total was), whether you got all the units out or not. Sounds like a bug.
I've reported that one already
Overkill- So rarely needed, so often fun.
Solarity
New user

Post by Solarity »

So how goes the continuation of the guide? Not that any of us are impatient or anything, I only manage to play a half hour a day or so and still in alpha, but not for long :)

Oh and as a matter of point, mission Alpha 11, where you have to intercept the heavy cannon tech, there is a much easier and less risky way of doing it, in 2.3.5 anyway. As I discovered several times, its 'quite' hard to be able to kill the scavenger bases taking little enough damage to be able to go and destroy the heavy tank and its guardians without them escaping to the LZ. Even if they don’t get picked up straight away and you manage to get to the plateau and destroy the tanks, the drop ship is triggered once you get past the choke point and even if it doesn’t pick up any units you still loose.

So, to the easy way... Use the same load out as previously mentioned. Get your MBG to move slightly to the EAST to destroy the first scavengers’ then stop. Call in your artillery squad. Meanwhile, get your trucks to head NORTH towards the cliffs, there is a small pass that will take them right to the edge, you will get a tech discovered message, this is the heavy cannon tech that the NP forces have not picked up yet. Build 3 Lancer bunkers and a sensor tower. Move you artillery to back up the bunkers and assign them to the tower. It might be close as if you detect the NP forces to early then they make a run for the tech and if you don’t have the lancers setup you might have to restart and do it a bit faster or not build the sensor till your artillery is in position.

Once the tank force is destroyed, hopefully without even touching the tech they won’t send any more forces to try and retrieve it. Get your trucks to build a repair bay then send your MBG to destroy the rest of the scavengers then have them move and destroy the scavenger base in the NORTH EAST. Get your trucks to setup another sensor tower nearer to the tech and assign your artillery to it, they should then take out the 4 BB's, defence towers, sensor tower and truck up on the plateau. Once dead move your trucks and artillery up the plateau, setting up sensors, repair bay and some lancer bunkers to attack/defend from the rest of the NP force. Sometimes the NP will come meet your MBG in the NORTH pass, if they do then its doom for them as your artillery can cover your tanks. After you have killed all the units you can either return to the LZ straight away or let your artillery mop up the rest of the defence structures, while researching the new tech and upgrading your medium tanks :)
srirammaniam
New user

Post by srirammaniam »

How to cross the HAHA STAGE?
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

I'm on vacation this week, so I'll have time for a stage or two.

I'm going to go cook something for my mother right now though ;p
loligo
New user

Post by loligo »

Awesome... great work on the walk through. Just wrapped G3, and there are a bunch of inexperienced vtols awaiting to be massacred, it seems..
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Gamma 4 - What Once Was Lost

Thr Project receives a distress call from Team Alpha. Claiming to be survivors (or more specifically, escapees) of the nuke against Alpha base, they got ambushed on their way to meet with you. They need help.

And they are bringing something rather impressive with them.
Gamma4map.JPG
A brief overview. The teal numbers are the other screenshots, the green path is the route your battlegroup should follow to the "rescue point", the yellow route(s) are the evacuation paths, the purple X is a nexus-cyborg spawnpoint, the brown X is where all the VTOLs come from, and the white X is where a bunch of stuff you DONT want to fight is.

Also, Nexus has a google (give or take) of SAM sites on this stage. I recommend NOT even thinking about VTOLs.

Immediately upon landing, you will get attacked by a cyborg or two from the east, and a cyborg or two from the south. Defeat both "groups", shoot the trees in your way, and set up your defenses with your trucks, while immediately sending your combat tanks along the green path.
Gamma4-1.JPG
AS SOON AS the first "groups" of cybrogs are down, move your battlegroup immediately. You need to get to point 2 as fast as possible.

Leave one of your trucks here to repair (or rebuild) any of the structures that gets brought down by Air strike. The rest of your trucks should head east and south, along the map's border, to rendezvous with the battlegroup, heading for point "#2".

Depending on how fast you manged to get here, the first "cyborg spawn" may or may not have happened. If it has, get ready for a bottleneck fight; if you got here first, get your tanks OUT of the narrow path used to get here, and get ready to fight the spawn.

Cyborgs will spawn here every few minutes, so after the first fight, block off the area.
Gamm4-2.JPG
The good news is, after the first spawn, the Project will confirm that this isn't a "Nexus trick", and will allow you to ship in reinforcements. More battle units aren't needed, but more trucks may not hurt. They tend to... ya know, die. A lot.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

With the Cyborg-spawn covered, the entire rest of Nexus' ground forces are 2 more cyborgs just west of point 3, and the "you don't want to fight this" force in the SE corner. This general lack of groundtroops is why I say you don't need more of your own.

Move your battlegroup SW and up onto the cliff at point 3, removing the SAMs, and replace them with your own structures.

During their call for help, Alpha wans AA units. We'll do one better; we're gonna turn this stage into a deathtrap for planes.
Gamma4-3.JPG
This whole time, NEXUS aircraft are going to be attacking you. don't hesitate to send damaged units to the nearest Repair Bay (likely the one at #2), as the NEXUS rocket-planes will keep going after the same tank until it dies; if that tank happens to be behind walls of AA... NEXUS won't get to it.

Move your battlgeroup just east of #3, looking for the last 2 cyborgs; once dealt with, move them to the end of the green arrow, and let them sit there while your trucks move on to point #4, and set up to prevent any more VTOLs from annoying you.
Gamma4-4.JPG
The AA pits in the far bottom corner will get hit by bombers; keep a truck nearby to replace lost AA pits.

Once point 4 is covered, send a single tank (Assault Gun) up the cliff at 5 to shoot the trees and then BACK UP, and send in the trucks to build defenses up here, and then BACK UP.

The lines in the last screenshot indicate how far you can move forward without "spotting" the Alpha team. The instant you see any of their units, they go "live" and the NEXUS force in the SE corner mobilizes to intercept them.

We don't want that happening until our full defenses are up.
gamma4-5.JPG
When all is set up, save the game before performing the rescue.

You will notice that all of the alpha units (sans the trucks and repairtanks) are HERO level. By this point, you *might* have a single hero unit, and that being your commander. We have the chance here to pick up a lot of ubertanks, and we don't want to miss the opportunity.

When ready, move a truck to "spot" team Alpha, and then immediately move Team Alpha behind your defenses.

The trick here is that Alpha had "walled themselves in" to their valley, effectively bottlenecking their own retreat.

AS SOON AS you gain control of them, have their trucks demolish all of their "wall", so that they can get out ASAP.

When NEXUS attacks them, the Hero tanks "should" have enough time to get behind your defensive wall. The repairtanks and trucks will drop like flies, but we don't care about them.

If you notice you lost a Hero unit, reload the game and try again.

If you try to save them multiple times and simply can't, consider sending in your 6 Tiger-Tank battlegroup to "screen" the ramp and take the shots. If you are going to have to lose tanks, may as well be the unexperienced ones.

But that shouldn't be necessary. Only if a Team-Alpha Tank comes under directed focus fire will it's Python-body Hero-level self be lost.

Once you get behind the defensive wall, NEXUS will "stall" on the defenses while you retreat your force back to the landing zone. There should be no NEXUS units behind you, so the Yellow retreat routes will be faster than trying to backtrack the Green one.

Get to the LZ (don't forget to pull back any trucks you have on Repair duty at points 4 and 2), and the stage will end.

SAVE YOUR GAME. I'm sure you've been saving your game after the end of each stage, but due to the way Gamma 5 works, you will want your "successful Gamma4 Completion save" to be it's own slot.

There is a bug in version 2.2 of the game (not sure if it's still around in 2.3, but I'll mention it here just to be safe) where if you recycle a unit, save the game, quit the game, reload the game, and THEN try and build something, the recycled experience is LOST. And Since we will be recycling stuff in Gamma5 and not rebuilding it till Gamma6, this is huge.

END GAMMA 4
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

GAMMA 5 - NEXUS HAHA

That title may sound juvenile, but by the end of this stage, that's what you will think of this stage. Trust me.

This stage will have no screenshots. None are needed; it's going to be a rapid-fire stage, where you either win, or you don't. But as you have a nice save from the end of Gamma4, you can try it as many times as you want.

Here's all you need to know about this stage:

1) As soon as it starts, NEXUS will take control of your Command Center, which will get immediately obliterated by the tanks returning from Gamma4. Rebuild it ASAP to get your minimap back.

2) NEXUS will periodically (sometimes not for a minute, sometimes every 5 seconds) take control of a unit or structure of yours. If you have been following a build that I outlined for Gamma 1 through 3, all of your structures are so thoroughly covered by defenses that anything lost will be immediately blasted. Defenses you can probably ignore, but things like research Facilities and Factories you want back up ASAP. You should have enough trucks, and if not, build more; trucks don't cut into your queue-ed HERO-experience.

3) Recycle ALL of your non-truck, non-VTOL units as soon as the CC is back up. Do not rebuild anything with experience until Gamma6 (or, at the very least, until part 6 of this stage-guide). We don't want NEXUS taking control of a Hero-level unit from us.

4) Team Alpha, in addition to donating a bunch of Herotanks to us, brought bach a tech that prevents NEXUS conversion. Assign a research facility to this IMMEDIATELY. If that research facility goes down, IMMEDIATELY assing the research to a new one while you rebuild the other one.

5) NEXUS will send in sporadic strikes of land and air units. If you followed the build recommendations of Gamma 1 through 3, you will have their entry points extremely well covered; if the points need additional firepower, that's why you have the fresh VTOLs sitting around since the end of Gamma 3.

6) As soon as the Anti-NEXUS tech is researched AND there are no NEXUS units in play, the stage will end. AS SOON AS the anti-NEXUS tech is researched, you can start rebuilding your Herotanks, but odds are you won't be able to build all of them before the stage auto-ends due to lack of attacking units. As to *what* to build, make it whatever you want. HERO-VTOLs? A 2nd and 3rd Command tank? 10 HERO-Tankkillers? It's all your choice.

END GAMMA 5
Dravonk
New user

Post by Dravonk »

themousemaster wrote:Once point 4 is covered, send a single tank (Assault Gun) up the cliff at 5 to shoot the trees and then BACK UP, and send in the trucks to build defenses up here, and then BACK UP.

The lines in the last screenshot indicate how far you can move forward without "spotting" the Alpha team. The instant you see any of their units, they go "live" and the NEXUS force in the SE corner mobilizes to intercept them.

We don't want that happening until our full defenses are up.
I built a few hellstorm emplacements for defense in Gamma 4 and spotted Alpha and the NEXUS forces by building a sensor tower. The hellstorm emplacements destroyed the enemy units soon enough so there was almost no threat to any of my units. Before I tried this I usually was too slow to get the Alpha team out.
marcmad
Trained
Trained

Post by marcmad »

well I don't know about the newer version but in the campaign I always used tanks with mantisse body. You get it at the very end of alpha and it has a
little less armor,
a little more thermal armor,
cost is similar.
But the point is that they are really fast.With the speed of 125, they are really good in attack-retreat with the MBG. I have to admit I almost never use artillerie so I had to come to bottleneck with those tank. Their speed reduce a lot bottleneck(still you could get in monster bottleneck anyway). With them the beta campaign was easy(aside some mission). Got a bit more trouble with Gamma :shock: . Well I used VTOLS where you used your artillerie so I was ok.(bunker buster missiles on VTOL rape seriously).

I don't know if what I said was outdated(last time i played was like version 1.xx) but this can help you a lot.(well you get in GAMMA much better chassis).

Sorry for my bad english.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

themousemaster wrote:I'm on vacation this week, so I'll have time for a stage or two.

good lad. make sure she is comfortable and has the morning newspaper or her fav book... your a good son. XD
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

lav_coyote25 wrote:
themousemaster wrote:I'm on vacation this week, so I'll have time for a stage or two.

good lad. make sure she is comfortable and has the morning newspaper or her fav book... your a good son. XD

Just FYI, I'm not dead. I received a Jury Summons.

More stages will come when I'm in a chair, not a bench.
bersi
New user

Post by bersi »

hey guys,

i played through the first two campaigns in the last few weeks, but now I'm stuck in Gamma 3.

In my first go at this stage I ended up eradicating all enemy units and bases and after that the timer ran down as usual and I was defeated. The strange thing about this was that some enemy AG tanks seemed to be stuck in the far northwestern corner right at the tip outside of the map, and they were constantly firing upon the transporter that was hovering above them.

Today I tried opening the savegame from last night and it was corrupted, WZ crashes back into Windows 7 (32 bit).

If I start playing again, it seems to crash from all savegames after the Nexus Transmission is shown. I cannot see the transporter yet, but there are definately tanks outside the map on that corner again.

Has anyone seen anything like that before?

Any help is appreciated, oh and @themousemaster, that's a hell of a job you're doing there with the walkthru, big ups!

greetz,
bersi

-----
EDIT

I tried it 4 or 5 times and at some point it worked and i got past the level!
unregistered user
Greenhorn

Post by unregistered user »

First off thanks for the walkthrough while I rather figure things out on my own it has still been incredibly useful for some levels.
Secondly I'd like to apologize ahead of time if I'm repeating something that has already been said because I have not read through the whole topic yet because I'm still in the middle of the campaign.

I just finished beta 7 and perhaps I just got lucky but I think there is a much easier way to do the opening of the level. I sent 2 trucks 7 combat units (all with tracks or half tracks for damage reduction) and a commander first thing I did (after sending for more troops of coarse) was start building a repair facility on the top of the map immediately one of my trucks was destroyed by ripples but the other lived. While it was building I had my combat force take out the lancer and from there they were able to destroy the censer tower which effectively stopped their artillery fire at least in the beginning area.