The *NEW* Warzone walkthrough (Done with RED units)

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Re: The *NEW* Warzone walkthrough (Done with RED units)

Post by themousemaster »

Ok. I'll only post in this one, mind you... don't want to overstep authority ;) .

My Saturday and Sunday are spoken for, but it looks like Monday will be GAMMA2.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

GAMMA 2

Nothing like having a ubiquitos, omnicient badguy getting out-411'ed, eh? Time for more recon as to Nexus's plans to screw this planet over another time.

Place 6 combat vehicles and 4 trucks into your transport, and head out. Immediately upon landing, call in your Command Tank, 6 more combat units, and 3 more trucks.

The map for this stage is *small*. Here it is, in it's entirety.
StartLZ.JPG
startMid.JPG
StartMisslebase.JPG
Upon landing, have your trucks start building a defensive structure at the Green circle (1), while your 6 combat vehicles try and take out the 4 circled-in-white defenses. Once the trucks are done with the green circle, put up the Repair Bay, then 3 more defenses in the Teal circles. (I've placed the teal circles in 2 different shots to give you an idea of their proximity to Nexus Railgun hardpoints). If your 6 tanks get all 4 railguns, then your defenses should go up easy; if not, be prepared to sacrifice a truck to abosrb incoming fire while your tanks repair themselves for another go (or your reinforcements arrive).

Knock down any trees of buildings necessary to give yourself room to maneuver.

When your reinforcements DO arrive, send your MBG west, and call for your Artillery Team via transport. (Your defensive structure in green might get attacked before your Artillery team arrives; keep it healed). Once your team is in, put a sensor up within the "perimeter" of your teal-and-green structures, and attach your Artillery team to it. They should take out the hovertanks after your Green defense, as well as keep out land attacks while you prepare a bit more...

(You will come under fire from Artillery right at the start btw... howitzer from the north, rockets from the west. Keep your trucks moving to minmize hits)
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

I won't lie to you: what I said to do in the above post won't be easy. Odds are Nexus cyborgs will join the defenses of the 4 railgun towers to the west, and the Scourge tower nearby to the top 2 of them will hurt. That said, those 4 towers going down with your first 6 tanks is totally doable, and if you rotate your tanks right, you can get away with no casualties (well, not MBG casualties. your trucks may be a different matter).

There are 2 sensor towers causing your base to be bombed, 1 behind each set of 2 railgun hardpoints. After your tanks are repaired from the first push (or your reinfocements are here), go for them (you might have gotten the north one already with your initial push). The southern one is also next to a CB sensor that needs to go BEFORE your artillery team gets here.

While stomping the area, feel free to get the Pulse Laser emplacements that are scattered around, but don't go near the SAM sites; any tank that comes close to them will be within firing range of the Missle Base's defenses.

With both sensors (and CB) down, you should build up something like this:
gamma2LZsetup.JPG
(It may be difficult to see the NE sensor tower; trust me, it's where the purple circle is, just behind the cliff)

When your base looks like this (with the CB and sensor towers being the key), attach your Artillery team to the CB tower, and put up the Hellstorms as indicated. Your hellstorms will fire, enemy artillery will return fire, and your Artillery team will obliterate the enemy artillery (replace fallen hellstorm emplacements as necessary). Once the guns quiet down, you can start sensor-artillery-pushing to the western missle base. (Just be sure not to go so far as to kill the structure I have marked in the first post of this stage). And yes, your guys are shooting off the north edge of the map.

You will also notice the timers in all these screenshots; there is ABSOLUTELY NO DANGER of you running out of an hour on this map. It's a good one to milk for cash.

Use your MBG to cover your trucks from mobile enemy units while you creep forward... and level the missle silo until you are down to... (and notice I took out all the neutral buildings north of it)
gamma2wastedMisslebase.JPG
(Once the majority of the base defenses are down, you can set your MBG to "hold fire", move them in, and given them individual targets rather than risk your sensor-creep accidentally destroying the stuff in the base farthest to the west)

Proceed to then set up this:
Gamma2NorthernPrep.JPG
Now, here's where having a guide is helpful, as without prior knowledge, you would never think of this yourself.

While waiting for your money to trickle in, proceed to airlift in EVERY SINGLE UNIT you have, save for your trucks (the ones you already have here are fine). Leave 10 trucks back at Gamma Main base and that's it... well, if you REALLY want, you can leave some ground-attack aircraft as well to make the next couple stages a bit easier. But that's IT. Really. (I'm leaving my STUPID-VTOLs and HEAPs behind for guide-creation purposes, but none of them are experienced)

Once your guns stop firing off the northern edge, all your units are here, and you have all the money you think you need, destroy the rest of the missle base.
Last edited by themousemaster on 20 Mar 2010, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Smooth move, Nexus. A lot of Hollywood Villans who have their Nuclear plans foiled could learn a lot from you.

The timer resets to 25 minutes, and it's "run for your life time".

Good news though: all those shots off the north edge of the map were busy softening up your retreat. Still, we need a plan...

Send a few trucks just over the river, directly north of your LZ (and be sure they apprach FROM the LZ; if you try and have them skirt to this spot from the west, they will attract some unwated attention)
Gamma2SensorPlacement.JPG
Getting this sensor up will cover most of the valley. While you can't yet "see" the stuff behind the mountain to fire at, once other units spot the structures, this will allow firing at it.

Perform an accellerated sensor-artillery-creep north. The remainder of Nexus's units will be moving back and forth between the NW corner of the map, and the valley entrance. However, chasing them down with your tanks would be a bad idea, as there is also a very prominent set of defenses to the NW.
Gamma2NW.JPG
It will probably cost you some trucks, but building sensors and having your artillery take out all the structures is your best bet. With more time a push-and-retreat strat might save everyone with ease, but with 25 minutes to clear the valley to move in, we need this stuff down.

A bit of good news though: most of the land-defenses are in the NW map corner, and at the valley entrance. Once they are down, you can move in your MBG to help your artillery with cleanup duty.

The "exit" is marked on the minimap clearly (anything at, or farther NE than, the dot is "good"). move your land units in there, and once all SAMS are gone, fly your VTOLS in as well.

END GAMMA2
Last edited by themousemaster on 18 Mar 2010, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Pangaea
Trained
Trained

Post by Pangaea »

I just have a request. Could you use a bigger resolution than on Gamma 1? It's quite difficult to see what's what when I can't zoom in.

Sometimes I'm not able to read what you write in them either, for example the pink-ish colour in the first picture in Gamma 1. I suppose it's going to be a sensor up on that small hill, but I can't read what it says.

Thanks again for a great guide :thup:
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Pangaea wrote:I just have a request. Could you use a bigger resolution than on Gamma 1? It's quite difficult to see what's what when I can't zoom in.

Sometimes I'm not able to read what you write in them either, for example the pink-ish colour in the first picture in Gamma 1. I suppose it's going to be a sensor up on that small hill, but I can't read what it says.

Thanks again for a great guide :thup:

Even after you click on the picture to get the larger version, you still can't read it?

I only went down to this game res cause Zarel wanted smaller shots :P
Pangaea
Trained
Trained

Post by Pangaea »

themousemaster wrote:Even after you click on the picture to get the larger version, you still can't read it?

I only went down to this game res cause Zarel wanted smaller shots :P
I always click on them, but sometimes it's difficult to see what's written (probably more to do with contrast than size though), and in pictures with lots of defence for example, I find it hard to distinguish what some of the structures are. For example what kind of hardpoint is used, or what kind of bunker is used.

I don't understand why Zarel wanted you to go down on the resolution though. The pictures in the thread itself have the same size anyway, more or less, but it's great to get more details when we click on them. But now I can't :(
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Pangaea wrote:I don't understand why Zarel wanted you to go down on the resolution though. The pictures in the thread itself have the same size anyway, more or less, but it's great to get more details when we click on them. But now I can't :(
The reason is because with higher-res shots, you need to click on them before you can see anything that isn't really blurry, which is really annoying.

ooc, what exactly can't you see?

mousemaster: One other thing - it might be useful to press Tab before taking screenshots, if the interface doesn't matter. That way, you can see more of the screen, and when you're doing something involving the interface, it's easier to tell.

I'm considering "remastering" all your screenshots at an unspecified later date. ;)
DuKe2112
Trained
Trained

Post by DuKe2112 »

also the preview pics could probably be done better than by charging into the base without trying to destroy anything, isn't there a cheat to turn of FoW?
Pangaea
Trained
Trained

Post by Pangaea »

Zarel wrote: The reason is because with higher-res shots, you need to click on them before you can see anything that isn't really blurry, which is really annoying.

ooc, what exactly can't you see?
Don't people click on them anyway though? Otherwise it's really hard to see what's written on them and what kind of installations are put up.

It was for example difficult (impossible really) to see what was written in pink-ish in the first image for Gamma 1. I figured it was supposed to be a sensor, but it was an educated guess.

I also find it difficult to see what kind of hardpoints and bunkers are used in some pictures in Gamma 1 (and others). Particularly the later ones where there are installations in the back of the picture. A bigger resolution would help here. Though it would also have helped to have a more "bird's eye view" so it was taken from higher up instead of a bit flat. Though that would lead to less of a good overview perhaps.

It is a minor point, but I feel it would be better to use high-resolution while playing so users have the option to zoom in and get a better look at the fine details.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Pangaea wrote:Don't people click on them anyway though? Otherwise it's really hard to see what's written on them and what kind of installations are put up.
The intention was that the resolution would be low enough that that wouldn't be necessary, although I see that it's not currently feasible. Feel free to go back to whatever system you were using before.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Zarel wrote:
Pangaea wrote:Don't people click on them anyway though? Otherwise it's really hard to see what's written on them and what kind of installations are put up.
The intention was that the resolution would be low enough that that wouldn't be necessary, although I see that it's not currently feasible. Feel free to go back to whatever system you were using before.
Ok. Also, I'll start utilizing Tab.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

themousemaster wrote:Ok. Also, I'll start utilizing Tab.
On second thought, suddenly starting to use Tab might look weird. Just keep doing what you're doing. We can to through and replace all the images at a later date. ;)
Outlaw325
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Outlaw325 »

Great work on the walkthrough, but it'd be nice if ya continued it, since I'm on Gamma 3 and I have NO idea what I'm supposed to do, since my army isn't there, and all I got is my bombers. :?
Overkill- So rarely needed, so often fun.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Outlaw325 wrote:Great work on the walkthrough, but it'd be nice if ya continued it, since I'm on Gamma 3 and I have NO idea what I'm supposed to do, since my army isn't there, and all I got is my bombers. :?

I assure you, I haven't forgotten about this.

It's just that, in both beating a, and passing a stage though the "editorial" phase, I need a couple uninterrupted hours to sit down and pound one out.

Since more than 1/2 of my weekends are being spent at work now (not even counting how late I stay on normal days), finding "guaranteed" time is becoming harder and harder.

It's on my to-do list though :ninja: