Help write the Warzone Guide walkthrough!

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Help write the Warzone Guide walkthrough!

Post by Zarel »

http://guide.wz2100.net/walkthrough

I've imported the original Pumpkin walkthrough into Warzone Guide, so it's somewhat "done". But in a different sense, it's not done at all.

Now, you'll noticed that the Guide has a "Commentary" section on all Guide pages. The Commentary section is intended for people to add their own advice to the Guide's advice.

And that's exactly what I'm asking you guys to do here: Add your own advice to the Walkthrough! I know a bunch of you have played it and have your own thoughts on what the best way to play certain missions are, so comment with it!
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Re: Help write the Warzone Guide walkthrough!

Post by themousemaster »

Sounds like something right up my alley.

That said, my time is limited right now, and with 2.2 only in beta1 so far, I wonder how effective doing this would be right now...
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Sweet.

I got a vacation from work coming up next week. I'll be able to do some of this then, hopefully. And try out the new 2.2RC1 while I'm at it :P
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

themousemaster wrote:Sounds like something right up my alley.

That said, my time is limited right now, and with 2.2 only in beta1 so far, I wonder how effective doing this would be right now...
Perfect fit, I would agree. :)
themousemaster wrote:Sweet.

I got a vacation from work coming up next week. I'll be able to do some of this then, hopefully. And try out the new 2.2RC1 while I'm at it :P
That's dedication. I look forward to your work on this because I believe it will surpass what is extant and be entertaining to boot.

Regards, whipper :cool:
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

whippersnapper wrote: That's dedication. I look forward to your work on this because I believe it will surpass what is extant and be entertaining to boot.

Regards, whipper :cool:

I'll try. Gotta figure out how to add screenshots to my work though. This computer doesnt have any real text program on it besides Wordpadd ;p
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Alright, I've downloaded 2.2rc1, and am ready to begin sharing knowledge of how to utterly abuse the CPU opponents ;p.

Would anyone mind if I started a new thread here, rather than, say, try to use a wordpad file with included screenshots for later upload? (and yes, I said wordpad... I don't have Word on this machine, nor anything else that can take posted SS's in it)
alienkid10
Trained
Trained

Post by alienkid10 »

Mouse might I recommend OpenOffice.Org?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

themousemaster wrote:Alright, I've downloaded 2.2rc1, and am ready to begin sharing knowledge of how to utterly abuse the CPU opponents ;p.

Would anyone mind if I started a new thread here, rather than, say, try to use a wordpad file with included screenshots for later upload? (and yes, I said wordpad... I don't have Word on this machine, nor anything else that can take posted SS's in it)
WordPad can take images? I never knew. By the way, I recommend something like AbiWord or OpenOffice.org for word processing, they're both free and can do pretty much anything Word/Excel/PowerPoint can do.

You can do whatever you want.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Before I get stared, quick question...

Screenshots default to a folder named "screendumps" in the "documents and Settings / <current user>" directory in windows. Is there any way to redirect them to a folder local to my WZ installation, or should I just grab them from there as necessary?
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Just a word of caution on bringing screens into Word Pad..

If you use bitmaps make sure they are exactly sized.... Word Pad's re-sizing is horrible.

Best to bring 'em through Paint Brush rather than as bitmap objects direct - the resizing
works much better and the file sizes are almost halved. Which brings up the main draw
back to putting screen caps into Word Pad - far as I know it doesn't support GFX
compression formats so the doc file size tend to HUGE by comparison.

Regards, whipper. :)
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

themousemaster wrote:Before I get stared, quick question...

Screenshots default to a folder named "screendumps" in the "documents and Settings / <current user>" directory in windows. Is there any way to redirect them to a folder local to my WZ installation, or should I just grab them from there as necessary?
you can redirect it to the same location as where your warzone client is.

Use warzone2100.exe --configdir .
(that makes it put all the directories in the same directory that warzone2100.exe is.)
You can use --configdir c:\whatever_it_is also, just make sure that c:\whatever_it_is is created *first*.
and it ends here.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Buginator wrote:
(that makes it put all the directories in the same directory that warzone2100.exe is.)
You can use --configdir c:\whatever_it_is also, just make sure that c:\whatever_it_is is created *first*.
Both of those caused... weirdness.

But, being the after-the-fact idiot that I am, I realzied I could just make a shortcut to the folder in my Warzone folder. Don't know why I didn't think of that a few hours ago... ;p
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

I do have a couple questions... they may have an impact on how I proceed.

1) Has the accuracy of AA changed since 2.1? I know that I can just "find out" when I get to beta, but having some forewarning might help me layout my base in B1 (preparing for B5) more.

2) Are cannons still the dominant weapon in the campaign? I know I read that the rebalance has made other weapons good again in skirmish/MP, but I got conflicted signals as to if this applies to the campaign as well (I don't want to say how good rockets are if they, ya know, aren't :P )
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

themousemaster wrote:I do have a couple questions... they may have an impact on how I proceed.

1) Has the accuracy of AA changed since 2.1? I know that I can just "find out" when I get to beta, but having some forewarning might help me layout my base in B1 (preparing for B5) more.

2) Are cannons still the dominant weapon in the campaign? I know I read that the rebalance has made other weapons good again in skirmish/MP, but I got conflicted signals as to if this applies to the campaign as well (I don't want to say how good rockets are if they, ya know, aren't :P )
1) I think so, but I would have to check.
2) NOTHING in the campaign (stat wise) was modified. Only MP stuff!
Buginator wrote:
themousemaster wrote:
Both of those caused... weirdness.

But, being the after-the-fact idiot that I am, I realzied I could just make a shortcut to the folder in my Warzone folder. Don't know why I didn't think of that a few hours ago... ;p
O_o
What kind of weirdness we talking about? I use that all the time...
and it ends here.
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

with

Code: Select all

--configdir .
everything is located inside the warzone-folder

@buginator i'm using the path "." inside double quotes. any differences whether with or without quotes?