Hi.

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Hi.

Post by Zarel »

Skrim wrote: Also, did the TK get some kind of uber-buff? In 2.0.10, a single TK-Leopard VTOL was far from capable of 1-shot-killing a HC-Python-Tracks heavy tank. A switch from calculated accuracy to collision detection could not have caused this much change. Unless they're all focus-firing on one tank, which is a different story.
No, but the TK was nerfed, and the amount of HP Heavy Cannon has was decreased a lot. They didn't nerf the VTOL TK, which is probably why it seems so powerful in comparison.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Due to "quote stacking", I'mma just reply without quoting this time :).

--- Yes, all 10 VTOLS focus-fire one tank. that's what I meant. And since they spawn every couple minutes, that means I'm going to lose something... every couple minutes. Making that stage more of a tactical rush than a force-bullying.

--- Cyclone has better blast radius, but Cyclone shots also travel slower than hurrican/Whirlwind. So where the latter 2 only barely hit their targets with splash, the former sometimes misses entirely. (I think that's how it goes).

--- Ah, that's right, you don't have the videos yet. Yes, the NP are supplying scavengers with weapons to fight YOU with. They don't give them anything else, though; my assumption as to that is because the NP don't want the scavs being able to fight THEM.

--- When I say "4 scourges", I mean "2 scourge rockets from 2 different towers". Given the range of firing from scourges in 2.0.10, If you try and move towards them, usually a 2nd tower will have fired before the first actually hits, which would turn your unit around for repairs. Again though, if it works for you, I'll just chalk it up to the universe being out to get me ;p.

--- on Beta-Evacuate, once I have no combat-units left on the map, the strike VTOLs NEVER go for my trucks. It's odd... but I just have a truck army sitting in my base, and they tend to repair everything at it gets hit. Also, the VERY-slow bomber aircraft are the ones that the AA guns actually can hit, so they usually don't make it into my base, so I only take structure damage from rockets.
Skrim
Trained
Trained

Post by Skrim »

Just completed Alpha 10.

The campaign saw a long series of perfect missions followed by biggest Warzone blunder yet. Alpha 1, 2, 3, and 4 had gone perfectly.

Alpha 5 saw me get a little ragged in the early stages, when I attacked the Scavenger base from the south, and lost two of my HMG Viper Half-tracks as they tried to retreat by driving through the enemy base. They also set off the New Paradigm's "alarm" and activated their forces. So I retreated my remaining 6 damaged units back to the fortified LZ which had 4 MG Towers and some tank traps, and over there I fought off NP forces until reinforcements arrived with more HMG Viper Half-tracks and some repair vehicles. Once my brand new artillery group arrived, the NP didn't stand a chance, and while my HMGs killed enemy units, the Mortars systematically demolished the NP base. I milked the remaining time by letting their HQ building survive, and researched the recovered techs.

Alpha 6 again went perfectly, as my direct-fire groups #1 and #3 marched up through the desert dividing tasks between each other, while my artillery group #2 provided serious raw firepower and truck group #0 gave repair support. I milked the remaining 24 minutes with one Sensor Tower remaining, to build the Plateau Base needed for the next mission and upgrade my units to full Tracks. Alpha 7 turned out to be short, with a single NP group flying in and getting massacred by my group #1, and then the victory screen popped up.

Alpha 8 saw me lose a unit in the initial run to LZ2, but thankfully I had brought and armored Cobra Tracks truck with me and built a couple of MG bunkers(though not painting) in the middle of the field to distract the enemy until reinforcements arrived. Truck group #0 spammed MG bunkers through the field faster than the NP could kill them, and my direct fire groups hardly saw any combat except for taking out the Scavenger outpost. Artillery group #2 attacked the northern ridge, clearing out all the defensive towers and destroying the enemy base from above. Eventually they encountered some Paradigm tanks sitting idle on the ridge and I sent group #3 to clear them out. After that, I just drove into the base, took the artifacts, and milked the rest of the mission time to research stuff while a single insignificant Flamer Bunker kept the mission open.

In Alpha 9, I spent the first 15 minutes upgrading my commanders and all my combat units to Python. It was an easy comp stomp, as I flew in group #1, built a Repair Fac and a few HMG hardpoints, crushed the Scavs and took their land to build a forward Repair Fac, and then brought in artillery. Group #1 took on enemy units, and the NP Scorpion tanks and Cyborgs were no match for my new Pythons. I used my newly refitted Bombard Python Tracks arty to flatten the outer half of the enemy base, and then drive up the eastern ridge, demolish the defensive structures with impunity, and then once again destroy the enemy base from above. Again, I drove in, took the artifacts, and milked the remaining time for research with a single Flamer Tower left standing. Another perfect mission.
But Alpha 10 was far from perfect. Although the fortifications on the plateau and around Plateau Base were formidable, I had completely forgotten to build any defenses along the narrow bottleneck canyon road in the south, and sent truck group 9 to do it. Direct fire group #1 was sent south to wait just outside the canyon and group #3 went north to protect the oil derrick and the small base I had built there. Unfortunately, the first attacks from the NP came from the southeast and hit before group #9 could complete the defenses in the canyon. Another mistake is that I had them construct on the southern cliff before completing the defenses on the canyon road itself. So in a rush I holed them up behind a hardcrete wall and threw group #1 into the face of the NP forces. Massive blunder. My own semi-complete defenses prevented damaged tanks from retreating, and I called for a full retreat as soon as I realized this. The tanks rushed to get out, but the NP took advantage of the bottleneck and killed two, while others escaped severely damaged.

I decided that truck group #9 was not going to survive and decided that it's better to have go down with a bang. I commanded them to keep building defenses until they got completely destroyed. Surprisingly, they managed to stall the NP for a while and the defenses wore down the NP cyborg force significantly, leaving only the tanks(which were now heavy Mantises instead of weakling Scorpions) and the mortars. I was about to send the repaired and rebuilt group #1 to fight them when...

The NP landed a cyborg battalion on the cliff just south of my Main Base! I sent group #3 to defend the base, but then the NP landed two cyborg groups in the north, took out my oil derrick, and cut off the supply of new tanks coming from my little northern base(group #3's commander quota wasn't full since I had recycled their old Cobras but not built enough new Python tanks). They killed 2 or 3 of the new tanks before group #3 could eliminate them. But then another force landed just south of my main base and actually managed to reach it before group #3 could, but they didn't do much damage because artillery group #2 happened to be sitting around and was surprisingly effective against them. Meanwhile, down south, group #1 just about finished off the NP forces for no further loss on their part, but truck group #9 was dead, and most of the defensive structures had been destroyed. The victory screen popped up.

The result: 124 New Paradigm units dead, mostly cyborgs. 7 Project units dead. 25 Project structures destroyed. My highest casualty mission yet.
Massive blunder.
Massive blunder.
I'll keep up the running campaign commentary. Now for Alpha 10, which marks the arrival of the Heavy Cannon and allows for the Heavy Cannon Python Tracks to be built. The Heavy Cannon Python Tracks is my overall favorite unit, since it is the longest-serving unit in the entire campaign and is the ubiquitous standard-issue Project heavy tank. After it's Alpha 12 combat debut in the final assault against the New Paradigm, it goes on to serve throughout the entire Beta campaign before finally becoming obsolete in Gamma 1 because the Assault Gun Tiger Tracks is simply better suited to the fight against NEXUS. It even appears yet again in Gamma 4 in the Alpha base survivor band.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
--- Ah, that's right, you don't have the videos yet. Yes, the NP are supplying scavengers with weapons to fight YOU with. They don't give them anything else, though; my assumption as to that is because the NP don't want the scavs being able to fight THEM.
:mad;
--- When I say "4 scourges", I mean "2 scourge rockets from 2 different towers". Given the range of firing from scourges in 2.0.10, If you try and move towards them, usually a 2nd tower will have fired before the first actually hits, which would turn your unit around for repairs. Again though, if it works for you, I'll just chalk it up to the universe being out to get me ;p.
Simple. Barge in so fast that the various enemy defensive structures(including Scourge towers) end up targeting different units(like the towers on the far side of the lake in the final mission). Or don't go anywhere where there are 2 Scourge towers in one place and use air/arty attacks to kill 'em. Or(like I've said in an earlier post, about the attack on the SE base in the final mission) lose one hovertank in exchange for one enemy base.
--- on Beta-Evacuate, once I have no combat-units left on the map, the strike VTOLs NEVER go for my trucks. It's odd... but I just have a truck army sitting in my base, and they tend to repair everything at it gets hit. Also, the VERY-slow bomber aircraft are the ones that the AA guns actually can hit, so they usually don't make it into my base, so I only take structure damage from rockets.
Crazy. But then, you have super space-lasers attacking your airborne VTOLs in Gamma 8, so I'll conclude that this is some sort of consolation for stuff like that.

If the Collective were to being back their quick Leopard VTOLs with Phosphor Bombs that are seen in Beta 1, they'd be able to hit your structures harder. But for some reason they phase out the Phosphor bombers in favor of those hideous lumbering flying-brick Panthers with HEAPs and Thermites.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Once 2.2 comes out, I plan to write a new guide for it (assuming work doesnt kill all my time), since any guide for 1.x or 2.0.x will be rendered moot by the new weapon damages and accuracy calculations...

You've given me more than a few lines I plan to use. From "comprehensively flattened" to "super space-lasers", I know I'mma have to end up notating you for credits... ;p
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

themousemaster wrote:Once 2.2 comes out, I plan to write a new guide for it (assuming work doesnt kill all my time), since any guide for 1.x or 2.0.x will be rendered moot by the new weapon damages and accuracy calculations...

You've given me more than a few lines I plan to use. From "comprehensively flattened" to "super space-lasers", I know I'mma have to end up notating you for credits... ;p
The differences between 2.1 and 2.2 aren't all that different in terms of projectile code or weapon balancing (unless my rebalance makes it into 2.2).
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

True, but there are substantial differences between 2.0.x and 2.1, meaning that any guide pre-2.1 is going to result in massive casualties. Which, generally, is bad ;p
Skrim
Trained
Trained

Post by Skrim »

Too bad my 2.1 Beta 5 doesn't work.

When I open it, I get this screen:
Blank Main Menu
Blank Main Menu
I eventually blind-click around until(I think) I manage to start a game of some sort. After that, the screen reaches this state:
Freeze
Freeze
And the game freezes up. I have to use Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get out and End Process to close the program.

I'm running a Windows Vista laptop with 2 GB of RAM and a Core 2 Duo at 2 GHz. If anyone has any help to offer, thanks. Maybe I'll try downloading an older 2.1 Beta if I find one.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Meanwhile, I've completed Alpha 11 and 12. While 11 was simple and straightforward and perfectly executed, 12 was... epic. I used a totally different strat this time for 12, involving more artillery and more hovertanks than ever before, and it rocked. I had only 4 losses: a truck killed when it accidentally came too close to a New Paradigm tank group, an artillery hovertank killed when 3 oddly located Light Cannon bunkers went unseen and got to shoot it for quite a while, another artillery hovertank killed because I ignored enemy mortar pits for too long, and a regular tank killed when it got stuck in a traffic jam mid-battle while retreating at medium damage.

I still remain a big fan of hovers and use them whenever possible, which is not often. Alpha 12 and Gamma 9 are the only good hovercraft missions I've come across so far, mainly because of the abundance of easy targets(defensive structures) and the presence of large water regions. Gamma 7 could be used for an experiment with Scourge and Flashlight-armed Tiger or Retribution Hovers, though I doubt that it'll work very well. Hovercraft are simply too vulnerable to rocketry and artillery weapons to do anything apart from rapid repeated hit-&-runs or standoff bombardment.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

I blame Vista. That's the trendy thing to do these days, no?

As for another use of Hovers, I recommend a Hover-Lancer (on the affordable body of your choice) for the upcoming stage I alluded to... Beta 4 or 5... where you have to kill the enemy commander before he escapes the bottom left of the screen. Suicidal no-exp hovertanks lying in wait for him to *almost* get to the bottom-left edge are the only good way to make sure your main battlegroups don't get mega-reamed.

Tip: have 1 truck build a sensor tower overlooking the escape, but no defenses. That way you'll know when he's too far to retreat to his base (since he turns around at the first hint of damage to any of his command group)
Skrim
Trained
Trained

Post by Skrim »

I won't have time to play much more through the campaign in the coming days, so the campaign remains at the Beta 1 loading stage.

Since this campaign is still on 2.0.10, I'll stick with HeavyCannon Python Tracks and Bombard Python Tracks for the escape mission. Air defenses are still effective enough to prevent serious losses from VTOL strikes. I'd like to keep my fast artillery hovertanks, but they'd get murdered by VTOLs in Beta and therefore be impractical. Mobile AA units are way too heavy to keep up with them.

I'll also try 2.1 Beta 5 on my WinXP-armed desktop, despite the desktop being rather obsolete. Instead of continue the 2.0.10 campaign, I'd rather try out the new weaponry system, the not-so-effin'-tough Heavy Cannons, the not-so-ridiculously-powerful Assault Guns, and the not-so-hideously-deadly Scourge Missiles. It'd be good to see the Flashlight becoming more useful because the Tungsten Tipped and Depleted Uranium super-MG-bullets are gone. And more importantly, because I'm too lazy at the moment to draw up a formal complaint in the feedback forum and wait for a fix. :P
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Skrim wrote:I won't have time to play much more through the campaign in the coming days, so the campaign remains at the Beta 1 loading stage.

Since this campaign is still on 2.0.10, I'll stick with HeavyCannon Python Tracks and Bombard Python Tracks for the escape mission. Air defenses are still effective enough to prevent serious losses from VTOL strikes. I'd like to keep my fast artillery hovertanks, but they'd get murdered by VTOLs in Beta and therefore be impractical. Mobile AA units are way too heavy to keep up with them.

I'll also try 2.1 Beta 5 on my WinXP-armed desktop, despite the desktop being rather obsolete. Instead of continue the 2.0.10 campaign, I'd rather try out the new weaponry system, the not-so-effin'-tough Heavy Cannons, the not-so-ridiculously-powerful Assault Guns, and the not-so-hideously-deadly Scourge Missiles. It'd be good to see the Flashlight becoming more useful because the Tungsten Tipped and Depleted Uranium super-MG-bullets are gone. And more importantly, because I'm too lazy at the moment to draw up a formal complaint in the feedback forum and wait for a fix. :P

good luck. You'll need it ;p

Long story short: The changes make the Beta missions harder, but the Gamma missions easier. Well, until you get to the Super Space-Laser stages anyway.

Flamers. Bazing!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Skrim wrote:I'll also try 2.1 Beta 5 on my WinXP-armed desktop, despite the desktop being rather obsolete. Instead of continue the 2.0.10 campaign, I'd rather try out the new weaponry system, the not-so-effin'-tough Heavy Cannons, the not-so-ridiculously-powerful Assault Guns, and the not-so-hideously-deadly Scourge Missiles. It'd be good to see the Flashlight becoming more useful because the Tungsten Tipped and Depleted Uranium super-MG-bullets are gone. And more importantly, because I'm too lazy at the moment to draw up a formal complaint in the feedback forum and wait for a fix. :P
Well, heavy cannons are only slightly less tough, and they're around twice as powerful. I think leaving out Tungsten Tipped, etc was a bug, so you'll probably see those back in 2.2. :P
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Zarel wrote:
Skrim wrote:I'll also try 2.1 Beta 5 on my WinXP-armed desktop, despite the desktop being rather obsolete. Instead of continue the 2.0.10 campaign, I'd rather try out the new weaponry system, the not-so-effin'-tough Heavy Cannons, the not-so-ridiculously-powerful Assault Guns, and the not-so-hideously-deadly Scourge Missiles. It'd be good to see the Flashlight becoming more useful because the Tungsten Tipped and Depleted Uranium super-MG-bullets are gone. And more importantly, because I'm too lazy at the moment to draw up a formal complaint in the feedback forum and wait for a fix. :P
Well, heavy cannons are only slightly less tough, and they're around twice as powerful. I think leaving out Tungsten Tipped, etc was a bug, so you'll probably see those back in 2.2. :P
...?

I don't think those upgrades are actually "gone". I think he just means that, with the AG's reduction in base power, the post-upgrade bullets are not "Nexus-stomping uberweapons"
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

themousemaster wrote:...?

I don't think those upgrades are actually "gone". I think he just means that, with the AG's reduction in base power, the post-upgrade bullets are not "Nexus-stomping uberweapons"
They're literally gone from multiplayer. I just checked, apparently they're still in the campaign.
ziserman
Greenhorn

Post by ziserman »

Just wanted to comment on your 2nd novel skrim, 1st mission of 3d campaign. I never use VTOLs agaisnt a so advanced enemy, neither do i use artillery. I prefer the good old heavy cannons, they kill cyborgs much faster. Set up a banker (a machinegun one, since it's cheap) to draw fire on the surprise attacks, then use your tanks to draw the enemy back. Should you gain enough forces, attack and pick the cyborgs and the hovers one by one. If you use this technique well enough, you won't have a single casualty, only extra cost to starting forces was my bunker :)

edit: spelling
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Zarel wrote: They're literally gone from multiplayer. I just checked, apparently they're still in the campaign.
From what I remember, they have always been in the campaign, and never been in multiplayer. Just like the All-Screen radar is in MP and not SP.