can't beat alpha 12

Post by hogwartswarrior »

tried everything in alpha 12 to beat it
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Re: can't beat alpha 12

Post by alfred007 »

Please be a little bit more precise. What difficulty did you play? What units did you use? Where are you stuck? At the very beginning, in the middle, at the end?

Some hints from what I'm doing:
I use a suicide Cyborg group (6-8 Cyborgs) to catch the hover artifact asap.
On land, I use a Sensor with 12 Bombards to move north.
For all the rest I use a hover group with 16 combat units attached to an experienced Commander. Sometimes I use Lancer, sometimes Heavy Cannons.

I think it will be more interesting for you to find your own way instead of only replaying my strategy. And my strategy is only one of several strategies. I know that xNEXTx, for example, beat the level with Lancer and Flamer Cyborgs. So if you can be more precise I can give you some hints for the next step. But I won't tell you the whole way right now.
hogwartswarrior
Greenhorn

super heavy resistance at base enterance
xNEXTx
Rookie
Rookie

Post by xNEXTx »

At what level of difficulty do you play? And what tactics / units do you use?
I passed this mission on insane difficulty level.
Yes, it is difficult, but it can be passed.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

To break the resistance at the entrance I use 7 tracked Python body Lancer tanks attached to an experienced Commander and 2 Trucks. One Trucks is building defenses in the north of the LZ, one truck is building a repair facility, and the Commander is moving east. Set your units to retreat at medium damage.

Once again, please be more precise. The more precise you are the better we can help you.
hogwartswarrior
Greenhorn

billions of units blocking the enternace to the base
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

hogwartswarrior wrote: billions of units blocking the enternace to the base
Once again: Be more precise. There are four bases of the NP. East of your LZ, the NP LZ, the base in the middle north, and the base at the NE corner. Which one do you mean? And what have you done so far to beat the NP? We can't help you if you give us only one unclear sentence every post.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Could you upload a save at the part you are stuck on (folder + .gam file)?

This map design has a weakness: The sides of the central base are poorly defended which can be taken advantage of by use of the hover propulsion bombards. Exploiting both sides leads to the destruction of the enemy LZ and 4 of 6 factories. From there a group consisting of tracked python lancers/heavy-cannons can move up the middle pathway more easily and help clear out the rest of the remaining stuff (use artillery units to remove any lancer towers). That is generally how I complete this mission.
hogwartswarrior
Greenhorn

saved game below
Attachments
hedwig.rar
(121.73 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
hogwartswarrior
Greenhorn

alfred007 wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 22:32
hogwartswarrior wrote: billions of units blocking the enternace to the base
Once again: Be more precise. There are four bases of the NP. East of your LZ, the NP LZ, the base in the middle north, and the base at the NE corner. Which one do you mean? And what have you done so far to beat the NP? We can't help you if you give us only one unclear sentence every post.
the base in the middle north
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

I had a short look into your saved game and found some things you should improve.
1.) Your units are not experienced enough. It's very important to avoid losing units. Experience gives your units a bonus in speed and accuracy. Also, your units are taking less damage after a hit and enemy accuracy is also decreased. During playing the campaign you should save before you start an attack. If you're making a mistake, lose an experienced unit or something else went wrong you can reload this save and restart the attack. In Alpha 12 you should have two Commander that are minimum Elite, better Special. Every unit you attach to a Commander gets the bonuses of the Commanders rank. If the rank of the attached unit is higher or equal as the Commanders rank this unit gets a rank one level higher.
2.) With the current balance (we are working at a better one) you should only use Lancers until the Assault Gun is researched. Medium Cannon, Heavy Machinegun and the MRA are not powerful enough in Alpha 12. If you're experienced enough you can try using Heavy Cannons with Hover propulsion in Alpha 12.
3.) You should research the Hover propulsion. You could it either use to flank your ground Lancers with Hover Bombards (like Berserk Cyborg) or you use a Lancer Hover Squad and a ground Bombard group (like me).
4.) You need more Trucks. With Trucks, you can build defenses, repair facilities, sensors and a lot of other important things.
5.) Don't use too many units. The more units you use the more units the experience is distributed. It's always a question of playstyle but me, for example, I play the whole Alpha Campaign with 32 combat units.
6.) It looks for me that you don't know that you can recycle units. You can either do a right-click with the mouse on a unit and use the menu button or you select all units that you want to recycle and use the key order ctrl+r. You get half the price of the units back and the experience of the units is also stored. The next unit you produce get the highest experience of the recycled units, the second the second highest and so on.

If you don't want to replay the whole campaign you should recycle all your units at the beginning of Alpha 12 and build two Commander and 16 tracked Python Lancers. Also, you should build a minimum of 9 Trucks. Then send a group with your most experienced Commander, 7 Lancer, and two trucks into the transporter. After this group has landed one Truck is building defenses in the north of your LZ, one Truck is building a repair facility while your Commander with the attached Lancers is moving east. With the next transport, you should bring in more Lancers and Trucks. It's your decision if you want to take all of the remaining Lancers into the second transport or if you want to have more Trucks in it. As soon as you recovered the Hover artifact you should research it. After the Hover artifact is researched you can build the rest of your army depending on which strategy you want to use. You should attach the Bombards that you will use to a sensor unit, not to a Commander. A sensor unit has a higher visibility range so that you have a higher distance to the enemy defenses.

I think that's enough so far. Good luck and have fun.
hogwartswarrior
Greenhorn

the problem is constant cyborgs and tanks blocking the base entrance combined with the lz arrivals
Last edited by hogwartswarrior on 15 Feb 2019, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
hogwartswarrior
Greenhorn

game files
Attachments
hedwig.rar
(150.55 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
potter.rar
(521 Bytes) Downloaded 225 times
Last edited by hogwartswarrior on 16 Feb 2019, 02:34, edited 3 times in total.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

hogwartswarrior wrote: the problem is constant cyborgs and tanks blocking the base entrance combined with the lz arrivals
Once again the question: What difficulty are you playing?

Your game files are not complete. We need the .gam file and the folder for playing the save. In your case, hedwig.gam is missing.

We can't help you if you don't get more precise. Posting one sentence in every post with nearly no information except the information that you can't beat the level is not enough.
hogwartswarrior
Greenhorn

just added both and playing insane difficulty
Attachments
hedwig.rar
(150.55 KiB) Downloaded 206 times