All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
t4ngld
Trained
Trained

MRl (MRA) useless with commanders in the campaign

Post by t4ngld »

Hello all,

While I've found commanders to be very effective in the campaign, just like the pros said it should be, I've also discovered a very unfortunate drawback to using commanders, described below, which to me is a real bug in the game, at least in the campaign part of it.

Assigning Mini Rocket Launchers (Mini Rocket Artillery) units to a commander renders them useless due to 2 problems:

* They don't retreat at X damage, even though the commander has been instructed to do that (and the rest of the platoon follows that order successfully)
* They can't attack the enemy unless the commander has painted it. Means, the enemy is standing right next to the MRA, yet it won't fire even with a direct order to do so, because the commander is busy highlighting another target. That renders useless one of the main capabilities of the MRL, namely, close range indirect fire ability

While the above behavior may look suitable for conventional long range artillery (well #1 is obviously not - why do you take away the "auto-repair" ability from artillery units assigned to a commander?), #2 simply eliminates the MRL as a whole class, when used with a commander. That's a pity, in my opinion, as those units deserve to be qualified as tanks, not fire support - well from my understanding, that's how you use them.

Resolution? Probably count them as ground combat units, as opposed to artillery, when attached to a commander.

(If you wonder where this observation stems from - well, I'm doing the Beta campaign with hovers AND a hero commander, and trying to combine the commander bonus with the super-effective MRL's that I usually employ with great success in certain Beta missions.)

P.S. The above issue is one of the reasons why I've stayed away from commanders for a long time, actually
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Re: MRl (MRA) useless with commanders in the campaign

Post by Bethrezen »

having never user mini rocket artillery I cant really comments about your specific complaint but I don't see why they should work any differently then mortars do when attached to a commander

with regard to them not retreating when damaged make sure they are set to retreat at x damage before attaching them to the commander

with regards to not attacking unless the target is painted by the commander this is the same for all units that are attached to a commander because being attached to a commander makes attached units focus fire the commanders target, its also the same when attaching artillery to a sensor attached units will only attack the target that is being selected by the scanner the only real difference between the way attached units work with a scanner and a commander is that the scanner targets indirectly where the commender targets directly

which means the commender needs line of site to get a lock the scanner doesn't

be be honest the far bigger issue with commanders and attached units is that attached units fail to obey the hold position command which makes them annoying to use with mobile artillery as the mobile artillery wont stay put while the commander move forward to designate targets