What is the win condition for Alpha 8 (SUB_1_4A) ?

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
OzJuggler
New user

What is the win condition for Alpha 8 (SUB_1_4A) ?

Post by OzJuggler »

Hello,
I only found WZ2100 in the linux package repository a couple of days ago and I've been going nuts on this game. It was really well done. It's like C&C except... dare I say it... even better because of the research/tech and design features.
But I have got to a mission in the 1st campaign that I can't get past even though it looks like I've done everything it says.

The map name in blue at the bottom left of the screen is SUB_1_4A. Firstly, how do you know this mission is called "Alpha 8" ?? That name is written nowhere on the main screen or the Current Objective intel report screen as far as I can see. I only figured out that's what you guys call it from reading through the Walkthrough topic and finding the picture of the map that matches.

Secondly, the main problem is, the timer always expires. I can build some mortars and sensors to keep the enemy back, I can reach LZ#2 with my tank/mcg group, get some reinforcements flown in, and then wipe out the base at the top right and in the centre. All that is fine, plenty of time left. I can also pick up the artefacts in the centre base. Once I have both artefacts the new objective at the top tells me to return to the LZ. I don't recall if it says LZ or LZ#2 specifically, but neither one works. I can send my armed units back to LZ#2 or to the first LZ but nothing happens. A single unit can roll over the flashing green marker (LZ or LZ#2), but it does nothing, and trying to squeeze all my units into that crowded space doesn't help. On all the attempts so far I have had a truck or two remaining somewhere out in the field next to a mortar/sensor combo, so don't know if that is blocking the win.
I once sent a mobile sensor to the top left to see if there was some enemy I missed but there's nothing there (except some pre-war shanty towns).
The timer always reaches zero and it says mission failed.

How are you supposed to trigger success on this mission?
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: What is the win condition for Alpha 8 (SUB_1_4A) ?

Post by NoQ »

Get the artifacts and go to the *new* LZ with *all* your units.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeoteFkXmJw
OzJuggler
New user

Post by OzJuggler »

I wondered if it was because I had built some defense towers near the first LZ. This afternoon I tried a different strategy for the start, where I just roll past the 1st base without destroying it and without building towers. After getting the artifacts I still have some defense towers near LZ#2. I tried building some more defense towers further out in the field, then retreating all trucks/sensors/units back to LZ#2. This worked.
I can only assume I had a truck sitting near a tower somewhere the first couple of times I tried it. So it was the trucks, not the towers.

This has led to another quirk in the game on the next mission. I tried the mission twice and on different occasions I received different technology artifact bonuses in the centre base. So the artifacts are randomised! :( I get the synaptic/cyborg tech both times, but on the first attempt I also got the Python body, next attempt I got the Scorpion body instead from the same box. I'd rather get the Python since the mission after it involves being attacked by heavy tanks.
Anyhow that's probably an issue for a separate topic.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Python is only unlocked at the start of the next mission, even if pre-reqs are researched instantly.
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

it is everytime the same problem. Dont start the next mission before you did not researche all the artifacts previously. I hope, that OZJuzzer has a saved game. Start Alpha 7 with an experienced commander at the base. To be prepared for Alpha 8. If he dont play with a commander there is a way to solve this mission with 4 trucks and 6 lancers. Just be quick, OZJuzzer. Dont watch at the enemies-just try to arrive LZ 2- Build a repairstation and one defensetower and let your other units fly in. I hope, you have some more. build also a repairstation in front of the LZ 2. And two lancertowers. Push and retreat. Build the mortars if you have no other units . You can solve this mission without units except trucks. There is time enough.
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.