Need some advice

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
Andalis
New user

Need some advice

Post by Andalis »

'Lo all. I've been playing WZ off and on for the last decade or so (First played the original Playstation version) and I've decided it's time to give the campaign a spin for the 4th time.

However, this time I want to refine my game, and I've got a few questions to ask. Apologies if they've been answered elsewhere, or frequently.

Firstly, Commanders. I have so far not had too much nightmarish difficulty with them, and I'm up to the part where you have to stop the NP from getting away with an artifact, but are they considered useful enough to be worth the effort? Do most people just do without? The past three campaigns I've played I've just dealt with their difficulties, but should I get rid of them completely?

Secondly, the Lancer versus the Medium and Heavy cannons. This is the one I most want answered. It's always seemed to me that the Lancer is by and large superior in most ways to the Cannons. It kills faster, brings down buildings more easily, moves faster, and can be relied upon to deal more damage, at least in my experience. Is there something I'm missing concerning cannons? Are they much more useful than I think they are?

As always, thanks for the input.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Re: Need some advice

Post by Rommel »

I have never had much use for commanders, they have always seemed to me more trouble than they are worth - but if they work for you, go for it!

Lancer has always seemed to me to be much better than cannons, in fact my normal strat with the campaign is lancers and assault gun basically to defend LZ / base while using artillery (ripple rockets / groundshaker) in conjunction with sensor / CB units to advance and clear out the enemy.

Once I get ripple rockets most away missions are basically about defending long enough to mass the arty, then it is plain sailing lol

This is just what works for me and I am sure there are others that use a different approach.

Good Luck!
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Commanders are useful in campaign and mostly useless in multiplayer and skirmish games. The most useful thing is that they actually buff your units by feeding them thier experience (and experienced units are many times more powerful than rookie units); on the other hand, commanders accumulate experience from units under their control, so they level up very quickly and it instantly affects the group.

You can see my old video walkthrough to see how i use commanders in campaign.

I agree that cannons are underpowered in campaign. The best thing about cannons is their increased hit points. They survive a bit more heavy one-shot killer weapons than lancer tanks, which makes them sometimes useful for the first landing, or meat shielding micromanagement during combat.

In skirmish/multiplayer you will choose either rockets or cannons, it makes no sense to research both as they have a similar function.

And, yeah, it is answered frequently. Even on this page of forum threads.
Andalis
New user

Post by Andalis »

Thanks a ton for the replies so far. I'll keep using my commanders in Single Player, and I'll definitely start tilting more for the Lancer line as well. Thanks much for the skirmish advice as well, it's really good to know.