Enemy units just sit around in base

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
steel
Greenhorn

Enemy units just sit around in base

Post by steel »

I'm playing through the campaign again after many years, and its great to see what you guys have done restoring it. I'm especially keen on the idea of a slightly modified campaign to get rid of some of the strange bits like waiting out the timer etc*.

After a few hours though I've found enemy units just sitting in their bases, there are hordes of enemy tanks and hovercraft just piled up not doing anything outside their factories, and they wont move even if they're being hit by artillery. The only way to get them to do anything is to walk right up to them. The same thing seems to happen to units that start placed on the map: they only move when they see an enemy. I don't think this was the way it was when I last tried it about 4 years ago...

*make sure you get the mission where you first have to build the powerplant upgrade: that gives unlimited time to build up resources and defences before the NP attack a couple of missions later!
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Enemy units just sit around in base

Post by NoQ »

Attach a saved game?

Campaign scripts were hardly altered at all, only minor tweaks. Units were not explicitly said to sit at the base.
steel
Greenhorn

Post by steel »

Here is a savegame with the issue. If you just run a bunch of my units into the top left base then you'll see an absolute horde just sitting there. If you walk up to them then they move a bit, but even after killing things they all just sit around again.

This mission also has unlimited VTOLs attacking every 2 minutes which I did not remember or appreciate as they could kill AA faster than I could bring them in or build defences.

On another note, was artillery accuracy always pinpoint? I seem to remember having a massive dispersion on ripple rockets, but in the Beta mission where there are some emplaced rocket batteries they're dropping with literally laser accuracy onto my units across the map, and able to kill any of my super experienced tanks in one volley, which kind of kills my enthusiasm to play on.
Attachments
game10.zip
(89.89 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
steel
Greenhorn

Post by steel »

Another issue I've noticed is psychic artillery. If you attack one of the factories in the enemy base in the top left in the attached save then it seems that all my artillery will come under fire, this is probably due to a long ranged CB tower in the base I can't see yet. However, once I have angered the fire god, my units are marked for death no matter how far they go. All I can do is weave then to dodge long range shots until I reach the other side of the map to get out of range, and only then will they stop being shot at, however if they come back in to range then they get fired on again. I need to save/load to stop them being marked for destruction by the pinpoint lance of fire.

I could swear from 2000 when I originally played through the campaign that rocket artillery had a range of like 3 screens, but a dispersion of about 1/2 a screen, just absolutely plastering the area with inaccurate fire, rather than this pinpoint stuff? Am I misremembering that?
Attachments
game1.zip
(85.13 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

I remember this happening as long as I know Warzone. Is this problem related to NullBot also?
steel
Greenhorn

Post by steel »

I don't know about Nullbot, I haven't installed any mods, I'm just running with the default version, so unless thats the new default AI I don't know.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

themac wrote:I remember this happening as long as I know Warzone. Is this problem related to NullBot also?
There are no custom AIs for campaign; every level uses its own AI script.

Will have a look a bit later.
To see how ripples worked in 2.3 have a look here.
steel
Greenhorn

Post by steel »

NoQ wrote: To see how ripples worked in 2.3 have a look here.
Is that how ripples worked in 1.10 as well? I can't find any videos of that era as it predated youtube and commom recording software, all I have to go on is my hazy memory of building a bunch and seeing enormous dispersion when I first launched a massive volley.

On the subject of enemy tanks sitting in base, could it be due to the fact they're in a pileup? Maybe they're following one tank at the back, but as a moving group can gridlock itself they're stuck. I don't think this is the reason though, as when you enter a base they get moving, but they then just go back to sitting around once your units die, even if there aren't enough of them to be blocking anymore.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

Ripple rockets worked as rockets to be fired into the sky and then fall down onto the destination. Unfortunately the ripple rockets today work like homing missiles, flying miles along over the ground until they reach their destination. This looks awful.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Unfortunately the ripple rockets today work like homing missiles, flying miles along over the ground until they reach their destination.
They aren't; you seem to mess them up with seraphs/archangels, and still only in skirmish.
And i still think they look pretty cool.
Is that how ripples worked in 1.10 as well?
No idea. Never played 1.10.