The game is too hard

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
Evropi
New user

The game is too hard

Post by Evropi »

Hey guys, I'm new to this game. I think the campaign is too hard and get too hard too quickly. Also the tutorial is crap and teaches you nothing about the command unit and stuff. You should make the game wayyy easier if you want it to succeed.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: The game is too hard

Post by aubergine »

The campaign mode is actually much too easy for the most part, with only the time limits posing a challenge here and there.

Try building up a bigger army of tanks before going in to attacks, and set tanks to auto-retreat at medium damage.

Also, there are many walkthroughs for the campaign:
* viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8340
* viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9250
* viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3051
* viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8333
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

if you want it to succeed.
Even if we do, there are quite a few people who would eat our bones if we do that, believing that the Original Campaign developed by the Holy Deities of Pumpkin Studios is Not To Be Touched Ever. Proof.

Also, the campaign is fantastically easy, as shown above.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

True, I never got beyond one of the first missions where the "incoming enemy transport" messages appear...
Evropi
New user

Post by Evropi »

aubergine wrote:The campaign mode is actually much too easy for the most part, with only the time limits posing a challenge here and there.

Try building up a bigger army of tanks before going in to attacks, and set tanks to auto-retreat at medium damage.

That's the point; I needed walkthroughs to even finish the first part. Even with walkthroughs I struggle massively. The tutorial gives you no indication of how to set tanks to do this (I found it the hard way). But the point is, new players should not be expected to know the 'right' way to do this.

Lastly, I understand you don't want to throw all that voice acting away, but the narrative is pretty weak. There could be a lot more plot development. Which means the gameplay must be accessible, as when you have a crap story, you have to focus on the campaign as a means of preparation for multiplayer gaming.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

There could be a lot more plot development.
There's quite a lot of plot development.
You should make the game wayyy easier if you want it to succeed.
If the campaign was any easier, i would've never liked it. And i never needed a walkthrough, it were only a few levels, i think, that weren't finished after the first attempt, hardly being a good rts player at this time.
That's the point; I needed walkthroughs to even finish the first part.
In my walkthrough i finish all levels at least 3 times faster than the time limit allows, playing at 1.5x game speed most of the time on hardest difficulty. The whole point of my walkthrough is to show that the campaign is too easy, so if you ever need to use it, then i have no idea what your problem is.
nod18
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nod18 »

Evropi wrote:
aubergine wrote:The campaign mode is actually much too easy for the most part, with only the time limits posing a challenge here and there.

That's the point; I needed walkthroughs to even finish the first part. Even with walkthroughs I struggle massively. The tutorial gives you no indication of how to set tanks to do this (I found it the hard way). But the point is, new players should not be expected to know the 'right' way to do this.

Lastly, I understand you don't want to throw all that voice acting away, but the narrative is pretty weak. There could be a lot more plot development. Which means the gameplay must be accessible, as when you have a crap story, you have to focus on the campaign as a means of preparation for multiplayer gaming.
Narrative is GOOD, this is not that type of game when you do not need to use brain to win, like in newest shitty RTS games. you and AI got this same units and for most part AI got much better technology them you.
Maybe is that hard for you becouse you dont research new technology ?
If yes them you must got a big problem even with scavengers...
And why you say its crap story ? you finished game ? and you know all about it ? i think no so do not blame game...
o0hshift
Rookie
Rookie

Post by o0hshift »

campaign is hard when i choose play with hard difficult.
many enemy with high technology than me.

but i love hard difficult. enjoy it and see more fun when defeat enemy. :D
theArmourer
Trained
Trained

Post by theArmourer »

There are only two things that make campaign difficult. . .if you aren't a total noob.

One, time limits. If you don't make use of the best tech you have available, and commanders, it can actually get challenging for a new player. Especally the level where the NP gets that big base on the Alpha map. So understanding the usage of the different units is something that can make it difficult.

Two, bugs. And this is again related to time limits. Mostly related to movement.

And don't be so condecending guys, you were all new once too.

Anyways. The best thing to do for new players is to build a bunch of the best units you can, and mortars + sensor. Then just let the mortars do all the hard work.
~theArmourer
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Post by Deus Siddis »

The problem is the campaign is too hard and too easy in the wrong aspects.

You should be fighting the enemy not the clock. But the campaign's challenge is a built around a stupid, hard time limit rather than defeating a superior funded and tech-ed opponent with a competent AI.

Timed missions should be the exception and not the rule and every aspect of the campaign should be upgraded with all the improvements already made to skirmish- smart AIs, balanced units and equipments. Then the campaign becomes a real, honest fight and not an endless rush to beat the clock. And it teaches new players how the game is actually played (a fight to the death, not a time trial).

For purists, there is always the v1.10 campaign as well as the other older releases.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

You should be fighting the enemy not the clock. But the campaign's challenge is a built around a stupid, hard time limit rather than defeating a superior funded and tech-ed opponent with a competent AI.
As i've shown above, time limit should be at least 4x decreased in most missions to actually become a challenge. In fact, i'm seeing no aspects in which the campaign is hard, apart from learning how to play, which is absolutely necessary anyway.
For purists, there is always the v1.10 campaign as well as the other older releases.
This is not true. 1.10 is only available for users of ms windows, and only for those who paid money when they had chance (right?), which is something i can hardly describe as "always".
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Post by Deus Siddis »

NoQ wrote: As i've shown above, time limit should be at least 4x decreased in most missions to actually become a challenge. In fact, i'm seeing no aspects in which the campaign is hard, apart from learning how to play, which is absolutely necessary anyway.
I don't know what you think you have shown or proven, but it is expected that someone who has played through the campaign who knows how many times will find it to be "too easy". That's why there are difficulty settings, to service players new and old alike. So if you think that hard difficulty is not difficult enough then that's a separate issue and not really one I oppose.

But what I am saying is, independent of overall difficulty, the game is too difficulty and too easy in the wrong places in campaign mode. The AI should be smarter / more aggressive and have more resources and you should have all the time in the world in most missions to try to defeat it.

Having every mission be a time trial against a predictable opponent is something to be improved. The campaign should offer more variety than that.
This is not true. 1.10 is only available for users of ms windows, and only for those who paid money when they had chance (right?), which is something i can hardly describe as "always".
You know what I mean; there's previous versions of the game that run on various modern platforms but which use the original campaign balance.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

NoQ wrote:]This is not true. 1.10 is only available for users of ms windows, and only for those who paid money when they had chance (right?), which is something i can hardly describe as "always".
The data portion of 1.10 should be available for all versions of WZ not just windows. To work with this project or legacy though would require a few changes since js is used more for scripting not including any actual data format changes if any. Code side... I think the release code was from 1.10 while the data in the release package was from 1.0

Thats a problem I am facing with redemption as Pumpkin only released the data from the wdg files for 1.0 up to 1.08 so I have to rebuild 1.09 and 1.10 manually as far as the wrf and some other hashed files are concerned.

Anyway, i'm running a bit off topic here so im off.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

"The game is too hard"

I thought the same about Tribes Vengeance, but it didn't stop me wasting a big portion of my life playing it for like 5 years... thank god they turned the servers off... heheh was still getting owned right up till the end; now that was one game that took skill, maybe even a dose of natural ability...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Gmm-EMLxA
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
ragerancher
New user

Post by ragerancher »

The campaign is hard first time round if you don't know what to expect. Some missions require preparation from previous missions if you want a hope of surviving. The worst culprit here is the final Beta mission. If you haven't been sticking defences up all round the map you will get overwhelmed very quickly. Hell even with many lines of defence they still managed to get to my inner base. Also the Nexus mission when you first become infected is a nightmare if you haven't prepared.

However if you know the tricks of the game it isn't too hard at all. Only the Beta away mission where you have to capture the uplink centre had me stumped for a while. There are some tricks to make things easier:
1) Never throw away veteran units. If you want expendable units, create some cheap green units and thrown them at the defences. Spare your veterans as much as possible. Later on it will pay dividends and they will be much stronger.

2) Use all the time made available in missions to gain more oil and research all the technologies available.

3) Use commanders. They make controlling your units a nightmare but they give various benefits meaning you can create and entirely green army, attach it to a ranked up commander and it will be like you just built a ranked up army. Also preserve your commanders even more than your average unit.

4) Tell units to retreat at medium damage and build repair stations. This will drastically increase the longevity of your army.

5) When you get free time, spam defences everywhere. If it doesn't benefit you in that particular mission it almost certainly will later on.