Re: Tank's or Cyborg's

Post by NoQ »

And.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I've never had much success with cyborgs, I must be doing something wrong. They seem OK at the start of a game, but quickly become too weak once enemy gets artillery.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

In skirmish, cyborgs.
In MP, tanks.
For arti, tanks.
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

aubergine wrote:I've never had much success with cyborgs, I must be doing something wrong. They seem OK at the start of a game, but quickly become too weak once enemy gets artillery.
You overestimate artillery. It is so much expensive that it's just not cost-effective enough against tanks when the latter are used properly. So the coming of artillery is rather optional than inevitable.

The secret of using cyborgs is as follows. If the enemy overuses anti-tank weapons, use cyborgs and hovers. That's it. If the enemy overuses anti-personnel weapons like MGs or arty, use tracks. If the enemy does a proper mix between AP and AT weapons, don't use cyborgs in the primary battle (but you can still use them as harass units, or put them in the second row). This works as long as a sudden switch from AP to AT weapons is impossible most of the time.

If they were no cyborgs, there would have been no reason to use machineguns or flamers at all.
Thrill
New user

Post by Thrill »

I just use cyborgs as security guards for my base and at-risk oil derricks. That way, if an enemy with superior cannon and armor destroys my tank forces, he'll be improperly equipped to deal with even a few cyborgs backed up with base defenses and VTOL's. Assigned to a commander and with a repair facility located nearby, cyborgs can hold out for a really long time.

I don't see how you (cost-effectively) win with cyborgs, but they can definitely keep you from losing.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

High oil: cyborgs and tanks
Low oil: tanks and maybe a small amount of cyborgs
Also known as Subsentient.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I also tend to use more tanks in low oil games since I don't have the resources to research both tank and cyborg armour. Going cyborgs only would be stupid because they are quite easily countered at any time (unless the opponent uses only cannons and rockets)
In high-oil they can be very effective, though, mainly because of their speed.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I'm finding cyborgs better these days, especially in the early game and even with limited upgrades. The key seems to be sending a decent number of mechanics in to battle with them. Once you get a decent mix of flamer, gunner, grenadier and lancer borgs, accompanied with a bunch of mechanics, they can provide quite a formidable road block. As such, they are useful for a "hard push" strategy.

Cyborgs start to become useless though later in the game, particularly when howitzer or heap bombs make their debut because they wipe out entire groups of cyborgs easily.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
E-102 Gamma
Regular
Regular

Post by E-102 Gamma »

Lancer cyborgs were kinda funny in the retail versions of Warzone. They shot like, a single mini-pod rocket and then took as long as the tank-mounted lancers to reload. :lol2:

They aren't still this laughably pathetic nowadays, are they?
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

The shoot proper lancer rockets now, and if you have several of them they are very useful against early VTOLs and tanks.