Do You Use Commanders in the game? Yes, No, Why?

Here you may talk about Warzone's Gameplay, Strategy & Tactics
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Do You Use Commanders in the game? Yes, No, Why?

Post by Merowingg »

I ask because I have notice like 1% of the gamers use them..

I was even told few times I am stupid I use them..

And I remember a guy who was simply stunned that a commander turret exist..

I want to say I use them sometimes, as it is fun, and they greatly help to organise litle ones.

I think people do not use them because they are simply lazy, and the commander menu is too.. difficult for them. But I do not state here to change it! it is great for me.

I would like to ask.. as it is perfect moment.. do I have to assign units to the commander unit, and only then they cooperate properly, or simply dragging all the units with the coimmander, with the dragging box simply works too?
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: Do You Use Commanders in the game? Yes, No, Why?

Post by aubergine »

I never use them, they just seem to get in the way. Perhaps if they micromanaged their underlings a bit better that would make a difference.

It's a shame we can't script the Command Turret in JavaScript - imagine taking some of NullBot's positronic brain and putting it in to a command turret...
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

Merowingg wrote:I ask because I have notice like 1% of the gamers use them..
0,01%
The commanders were tried to be improved lot of times, but it isn't easy.
For me, it is more easy to just assinging the units to groups.
Last edited by Giani on 04 Jul 2012, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

aubergine wrote:I never use them, they just seem to get in the way. Perhaps if they micromanaged their underlings a bit better that would make a difference.
The Player microing multiple Commander led combat groups through the Mini-map with a couple added behaviors to a re-designed command interface would make a huge differance, me thinks.
It's a shame we can't script the Command Turret in JavaScript - imagine taking some of NullBot's positronic brain and putting it in to a command turret...
Automating command would undermine the MP game itself. The above takes this into account.

Merowingg wrote:I ask because I have notice like 1% of the gamers use them..
Giani wrote:0,01%

The commanders were tried to be improved lot of times, but it isn't easy.

For me, it is more easy to just assigning the units to groups.
We need a new UI widgets schema. That's one of the biggest obstacles.

Short of that, there are modifications that can be made right now to make commanders viable in MP. The problem is there is ZERO interest in MP play testing those modifications to refine them for competitive play. A competent MP beta testing team of 4 seasoned players dedicated to such play testing would eliminate this obstacle. So far, this seems farfetched.

SEE: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9119&p=102362#p102362

EDIT..... Typo corrected.
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 04 Jul 2012, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

Actually I loved using them. The only reason I'm not using them now is the pathfinding problems. I like the fact that they are used as mobily relay point, that they accumulate power with more and more artillery, they have power bonuses and repair units are stuck near them, waiting for something to repair.

Of course there are things to improve, but pathfinding is the essential for me.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

iap wrote:.......

Of course there are things to improve, but pathfinding is the essential for me.
Huge problem for sure as in Path Walking (not the same thing as Path Finding). But it exists in combat groupings without a commander. In a combat group you need to be able to bracket position against a baseline unit in the lead and staggered for the rest while the baseline unit alone is bracketed to the PF scheme. When a unit falls out of grouping it would revert back to pure PF. At least that's how I'm understanding the issue.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Andrie
Regular
Regular

Post by Andrie »

Giani wrote:For me, it is more easy to just assinging the units to groups.
Yes me too. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
"My IRC en multiplay naam is Andrie"

Groete Andrie
Jabol
Trained
Trained

Post by Jabol »

I don't use commanders, they're expensive.
I only invest my hard (cheated) money on raw power.
I have changed this signature because a developer thinks it's offensive.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

The problem with the commander is that they were balanced in single player. There they are deadly when they reach the lvl 4 or 5 (still need test to know). But in MP, it seem that they dont live quite long enough. They need to be tuned back to level 2-3 (still need test to determine) and everything would be fine.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

I never used the commander. My forces and the commander often do not keep alive for long enough to struggle around with them. :-/
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Pretty much as said. Commanders are absolutely effective in campaign, not really very effective in skirmish (Nexus AI overuses AT weapons, so you'd prefer cyborgs any time, so you can't keep researching tanks that much and also quickly run out of commander control), and completely useless in multiplayer (not cost-effective).
Wolftrak
Trained
Trained

Post by Wolftrak »

What if the CTRL+No combination binds the currently selected group to a commander?

Most of the people would welcome the commander in their forces if it's easier to use it (in my opinion).

Would that make it more usable?
Andrie
Regular
Regular

Post by Andrie »

Beacuse they get killed to easy (in my opinion). :wink: :wink:
"My IRC en multiplay naam is Andrie"

Groete Andrie
matthewfarmery
Trained
Trained

Post by matthewfarmery »

been using the commanders in SP for a long time, don't really play MP, more of a SP person myself, commanders are useful, but in the betas, commanders have been very buggy, and as right now, I can't use two commanders on the battlefield if saving and loading, (opened a bug report about this) but yeah, there are pathing issues if you have a lot of units assigned to them, and units can get stuck when retreating to get repaired. still, once the commanders level up, and share their XP with the group. you have a very powerful set of units
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

So more or less accidentally another thing showed to be worked on, as there are those few, who use commanders.

Someone said before that those are too difficult in menu handling, well I dont agree. And if focused on, and corrected, maybe recommended? it may come into use.

I also think the players are lazy.
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero