Why is warzone now such a s*t?

Here you may talk about Warzone's Gameplay, Strategy & Tactics
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Why is warzone now such a s*t?

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

andrvaut wrote:1) Correct work of external mods. Now the only reliable way to play with the mod in multiplayer is to add it to the map.
Does the host crash? I can get the host to successfully send maps, but mods always fail. It seems the host tries to sends mods as a map? Clients receive a file with many zeroes in the name just before the host crashes.

Code: Select all

if (hash == game.hash)
	{
		addConsoleMessage(_("Map was requested: SENDING MAP!"), DEFAULT_JUSTIFY, SYSTEM_MESSAGE);

LEVEL_DATASET *mapData = levFindDataSet(game.map, &game.hash);
		filename = mapData->realFileName;
		debug(LOG_INFO, "Map was requested. Looking for %s", filename.c_str());
	}
	else
	{
		filename = getModFilename(hash);
		if (filename.empty())
		{
			debug(LOG_INFO, "Unknown file requested by %u.", player);
			return false;
		}

addConsoleMessage(_("Mod was requested: SENDING MOD!"), DEFAULT_JUSTIFY, SYSTEM_MESSAGE);
	}
Warzone2100.RPT
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

I did not see the crash of the host.
3 months ago the situation was this:
The mod was not transferred, an empty file was created instead of mod.
Variants that do not require transmission of the mods file over the network have worked.#4789

But later all options ceased to work
vaut ΣΑ [GN], ru streamer.
Tournaments channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzusNa-54ydodtSz2TdHFww
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

I understand that the release is very important. Otherwise, it demotivates developers and users.
But it is very important to make support for the recording of the game.
It can be implemented in version 3.3.1.
At the same time, the camera control must be free.
This will make it easier to find errors or make improvements for us.
In addition, it is possible to cut out a specific section of the record and upload it to the forum. Using the WebGL, people could easily communicate their ideas and suggestions.
Cheating. Anti-cheat plugin can load the file to play. And the program will give an answer in accordance with the original balance or balance established by the mod. This is important to improve the atmosphere in multiplayer.
After all, the game should bring pleasure. Some good players are accused of cheating. Or vice versa. Some players feel cheated. We can do something.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Some players feel cheated.
Cheating has been pretty much eliminated since 3.1 by introducing the new synchronous network engine. Every unexpected change in the game state on one of the machines, including visibility cheating, would expose itself as a desync warning (which immediately indicates who cheats, even if it's the host, but doesn't affect the rest of the game for honest players) due to units picking different targets on different machines. It should still be possible to hack the remote game client into believing in the hacked game state, but there's pretty much no reason for people who are capable of this to target us, we're just too small and too non-evil and too cross-platform for a single low-level exploit to work reliably. Modded maps are now highlighted, and it is trivial to explore the contents of the map archive to find if it severely favors the host even during the game when you suspect that the map itself is unfair or that it contains modified stats or game rule scripts.

Most of the people who "feel cheated" simply don't know how to play and spend all game building walls in the middle of their base and then claim that they lose because their opponent is cheating. We can't do anything about it other than what i'm doing now: explaining that they are noobs crybabies wrong. And this has been explained dozens of times.
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

@NoQ, unfortunately, synchronization can not save us all the problems:
The abolition of the fog of war, the illumination of the towers, and the development of the enemy.
I for the sake of visualization of streams, I impose additional information on the video. But not an honest player can use the same method to obtain an advantage.

Still have macros ...
https://youtu.be/_b1LvmvzbtE?t=19m50s:
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Yup, dumping sensitive information into a separate stream (that your *units* don't read) should be possible. But that's quite minor, i.e. it only skews the balance of skills a little, you still need to play almost as well as your opponent in order to win. Scouting is not *that* important in Warzone.

That might be a problem in important matches and tournaments where everything matters (where it'd quickly become obvious from replays), but in casual multiplayer games it means almost nothing. We don't even have a ladder, so people are matched with opponents of completely random skill, which means that having a slight advantage would only increase your win rate by maybe 5%, it's just not worth it and that's definitely not why people rant.
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

Berserk Cyborg wrote:I agree a new release should be made soon (or at least a release candidate). 3.2.x is too buggy, unfortunately, and may leave players with a poor experience, like you said.

I don't think master is really bad at all. I do know there are a few annoying bugs that have cropped up, but 99% are not game-breaking.

For me, the biggest issues right now are (no particular order):
1. #4815. - fpath issue.
2. #4784. - desync.
3. #4785. - desync.
4. #4715. - reticule keys break on campaign saveload and reticules fail to disable the first try.
5. #4725. - broken keys. Edit: Keys work?
6. #4789. - multiplayer mod problem.
7. Gamma 6 donation problem where all reticule buttons/keys are disabled if nothing gets donated -- which I am working on.

Then I think a 3.3.0 release would be game. XP compatible builds would be good to have by that time. As I understand it, that hinges on a single pull-request for vcpkg.
Maybe it's time to make a candidate in the release?
There are two problems left, but they are in 3.2.3.
Prot
Trained
Trained

Post by Prot »

cybersphinx wrote:But with faster releases, people complained about having to update all the time.
It is much-much better than what it is now: half of the plays on 3.1.5 and the other on 3.2.3 and more littlebit spread to the several master version..
Oh no-no, it's allready need 3.3.0 release, and than, if the more bugs are fixed, after couple of month do 3.3.1 version and so on..
Let's be honest, warzone2100 will never be perfect. Bugs will always be. And dissatisfied will always be.
At this rate, there will never be a point "here it is, no bugs, here's a release 3.3.0"
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

I think that was mostly the 2.3 betas when I'd screw something up and then put out a new fixed release just days later, several times... Well, releases shouldn't be painful to make, so there's no pressure to make version X perfect, because it won't be a problem to release X + 1 to fix it. On the other hand, it's annoying if people have to update all the time because someone didn't pay attention and just says "whatever, ship it!" Somewhere between a new release every few days and every few years should be a good compromise, and getting rid of separate release branches and focusing on master only should help there. Even with outstanding problems starting with 3.3 betas might be a good idea though to get players on a common base.
We want information... information... information.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Campaign and skirmish players (aka "most players") don't have any problems with needing to update as long as the old version is working; only multiplayer people do, and even then, only some of them. Updating is not that hard, even if you're compiling the game from source. I was always in favor of the release-early-release-often skew.
WZ2100ModsFAn
Trained
Trained

Post by WZ2100ModsFAn »

Only Two Release blockers to fix now.

Good job guys. :D
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

Now I see only 2 not corrected critical bugs:
http://developer.wz2100.net/report/1

In spite of the fact that they are marked as specific only for the master, they are the same in all 3.2 versions.

So I do not consider them the reason not to release the release.

In October, I will hold another tournament. If in the near future there is no release of a more stable version than 3.2.3 we will return to 3.1.5.
For more than a year I have been trying to migrate the RU community to 3.2.3. But the abundance of problems did not allow to completely switch to the new version.
Frequent updates are not a big problem. Where is the big negative experience of problems in 3.2.3 and the feeling of stagnation.
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

I think this release will not make much difference. Missions are good and in 3.1.5 version.
Unless we add the ability to enable 3.1.5 mode with its warm balance in multiplayer.
It's also easy to add a column for spectators. All this is easy to do. I just don't understand all the code right now.
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

Unless we add the ability to enable 3.1.5 mode with its warm balance in multiplayer.
Yes, I also think that players need to be given the opportunity to play in the balance that they want.

For this, all you need to do is fix this bug #4789
and roll back this patch:
https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... af38f2522c
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

moltengear wrote:
It's also easy to add a column for spectators. All this is easy to do.
In a well-designed codebase, adding spectators and replays is easy.
moltengear wrote:I just don't understand all the code right now.
A well-designed codebase is easy to understand. Unfortunately, the codebase isn't well-designed, though.

Some of the roughest edges have been sanded down a bit and/or rewritten from scratch — maybe someday the codebase will be well-designed?