Why is warzone now such a s*t?

Here you may talk about Warzone's Gameplay, Strategy & Tactics
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Why is warzone now such a s*t?

Post by andrvaut »

I really respect the developers of the game and as far as I can help. But the current situation depresses me.
Everyone offers to install as a stable version 3.2.3.
But it is impossible to play at all:
1) problems with a large number of video cards
2) a desynk from the auto-replacement of cyborgs
3) jammers
4) a completely broken balance in the campaign
5) sticky transports in the campaign.
6) desynk with scavs unit
7) does not complete part of the missions if loaded. For example, the second mission.

All this leads to a very negative experience with new players.
And the old do not hurry to leave with 3.1.5.

The current master is already better in all respects 3.2.3. Several unresolved critical bugs do not affect the game too much.

I really hope for a release soon.
Offer to play on 3.2.3 is a crime.

It is also necessary to include in the plans:
1) Correct work of external mods. Now the only reliable way to play with the mod in multiplayer is to add it to the map.
2) Mods should be able to use the old model of accuracy

These changes will combine old players and new ones. Will raise online and just lead to the enjoyment of the game.

udp: adding 6 and 7 points of serious problems in 3.2.3
Last edited by andrvaut on 02 Aug 2018, 13:09, edited 2 times in total.
vaut ΣΑ [GN], ru streamer.
Tournaments channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzusNa-54ydodtSz2TdHFww
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Why is warzone now such a s*t?

Post by pastdue »

andrvaut wrote:I really hope for a release soon.
I do too, and I think we're in the final stretch of fixes and tweaks before that can happen.

(I've been working on a lot of building + packaging tasks.)
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

I agree a new release should be made soon (or at least a release candidate). 3.2.x is too buggy, unfortunately, and may leave players with a poor experience, like you said.

I don't think master is really bad at all. I do know there are a few annoying bugs that have cropped up, but 99% are not game-breaking.

For me, the biggest issues right now are (no particular order):
1. #4815. - fpath issue.
2. #4784. - desync.
3. #4785. - desync.
4. #4715. - reticule keys break on campaign saveload and reticules fail to disable the first try.
5. #4725. - broken keys. Edit: Keys work?
6. #4789. - multiplayer mod problem.
7. Gamma 6 donation problem where all reticule buttons/keys are disabled if nothing gets donated -- which I am working on.

Then I think a 3.3.0 release would be game. XP compatible builds would be good to have by that time. As I understand it, that hinges on a single pull-request for vcpkg.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I don't think master is really bad at all. I do know there are a few annoying bugs that have cropped up, but 99% are not game-breaking.
That's usually what we believe before every release. Then suddenly it turns out that nothing works.

But this one is in fact different because in the campaign testing thread, for the first time in our history, some actual pre-release testing has been going on. Which is great.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

NoQ wrote:But this one is in fact different because in the campaign testing thread, for the first time in our history, some actual pre-release testing has been going on. Which is great.
I do hope more testing of master is done to allow finding them bugs so I would like to ask devs to jump on the games channel and if they have a change that needs testing ask the players to lend a hand.
Yes having everyone on the same version will make a difference maybe the decline in players will stop.
WZ2100ModsFAn
Trained
Trained

Post by WZ2100ModsFAn »

Gotta wait until some bugs are fixed.

Always has to be the bugs to get fixed.

I believe in you guys keep up the good work. :wink:
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

Berserk Cyborg wrote: 3. #4785. - desync.
6. #4789. - multiplayer mod problem.
These problems exist in 3.2.x.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

NoQ wrote:
That's usually what we believe before every release. Then suddenly it turns out that nothing works.
There is this "release early, release often" thing that would put changes out faster, so users can find problems faster, which then get fixed quickly in a new release. But with faster releases, people complained about having to update all the time.
We want information... information... information.
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

I think clearly don't need to do the release, if we know any errors.
There are two sides to our releases. On the part of developers who want to see a new release. And from the side of users who like to play multiplayer. Although I do not remember how many times I played the company from start to finish. At the moment I really like to play with others on the network. In fact may well consider a future version, where it is not necessary to separate the players, as it has already happened (3.1.5 and 3.2.3).
Please add 3.1.5 mode for the creating host in the future version.
The modular structure will allow each module to have a version. For example, there is already support for maps of different versions. It may be worth applying this principle to everything. Well, after all, there is javascript and json.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

I think as soon as the issues 1. and 7. listed by Berserk Cyborg are fixed we should release a new version. I never played multiplayer so I can just talk about the campaign. There are actually and over and over again players complaining about the bugs in alpha 01 and alpha 02 in 3.2.3. And it's not good if you get frustrated in the very first levels of the game. We will lose a lot of new and also experienced players because of that. And the current master version is so much better and less buggy than 3.2.3. I don't know if more players are playing the campaign or multiplayer but I suppose new players would start with the campaign mode. And if they get stuck in the first two levels the chance is high that they stop playing. So I clearly say release 3.3 asap.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Regarding #4784 can someone test if it happens on
1. d31f6a2c704ada8f46957a34279af78deafdeec7.
2. 64bd5a1c5b984e62ddca87d542d53f9ab909cfbf (commit before the above one).

In the case of an instant desync happening on 1 and not 2, then perhaps I granted the T2/T3 research too late? I grant the T2/T3 research in eventGameInit.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Berserk Cyborg wrote:I grant the T2/T3 research in eventGameInit.
It shouldn't matter when you do it as long as you do it in the exact same moment of game time on all machines. And rules.js is supposed to be run synchronously on all machines.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

I just realized I can play a "multiplayer" game on the same machine. :oops:
NoQ wrote:
Berserk Cyborg wrote:I grant the T2/T3 research in eventGameInit.
It shouldn't matter when you do it as long as you do it in the exact same moment of game time on all machines. And rules.js is supposed to be run synchronously on all machines.
Think I found it. My getMultiTechLevel() JS function returned the source global current_tech. However, it is only updated once the user actually pressed those little buttons. Which means the host got everything researched for T2/T3, but not everyone else.

I dropped a patch in #4784 if anyone wants to test it or make something better.

BTW, there is a lot of error spam for duplicate templates.
JimmyJack
Trained
Trained

Post by JimmyJack »

Berserk Cyborg wrote:I just realized I can play a "multiplayer" game on the same machine. :oops:.

O_o Hope you win :lol2:

I really wanted to get the ability to save after a level ends back. Ya'know on the Objective Achieved screen at the bottom of the screen where it says Continue Game. There should be a Save Game option there like there used to be or at least be able to hit the escape key there and use that save option.
I don't know how much work it would be to get it back but if you could....

I agree that the new master is much better than 3.2.3 and even 3.1.5 so I am also getting a little eager for the release of 3.3.0

Thanks gang.
Transmission ends ...
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

Berserk Cyborg wrote:Regarding #4784 can someone test if it happens on
I checked the patch. There is no desynk. Thanks.