Settle the Discussion

Here you may talk about Warzone's Gameplay, Strategy & Tactics
Guardsman Brendo
Trained
Trained

Settle the Discussion

Post by Guardsman Brendo »

Hey guys. Many time I've visited this forum, I have seen this question raised at some point, in some way or another, and with different outcomes.
Are units crewed?
This question should be obvious for cyborgs: the sequences.wz say they are a person. However, VTOLs have been a topic of discussion, and normal tanks too. I have a solution idea for this that is adaptable and might possibly work. Instead of being either-or, there should be an option, and this can have an effect on gameplay balance too. I think the integration of this could be most seamless by adding a toggle switch, automatically set to 'manned,' just above the 'save design' button.
Both options would have some pros and cons:
Manned- Available from start, can gain valuable experience over the course of a game.
Unmanned- Starts off with a higher rank(probably trained or professional), but only becomes available after certain tech is researched(maybe synaptic data analysis and special sensor tech).
This means manned vehicles would be what most people use for their main force in Campaign because they can receive much experience. Unmanned vehicles would make good support units, or those for high-risk missions where there is a high chance of not making it back(the second Beta Away mission, or simple AA cover for VTOL units).
Additional considerations may be power cost, or whether or not they are affected by ECM Jammers, and possible permanent EMP from late-game EMP weapons.
I certainly want to see other peoples' opinions on this, function-wise and implementation-wise. If anyone has a mod for this already, post a link to it.
--Thanks
--As of the above time, this was the last transmission received.
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Settle the Discussion

Post by Forgon »

I believe that all units are supposed to be crewed, since all vehicle bodies have windows.
Videos show their windscreen wipers and headlights, both of which are designed for humans, not machines.

The campaign rescue missions would also be implausible if vehicles were unmanned.
Guardsman Brendo
Trained
Trained

Thats why there could be an option for both- The manned units could still be there. One reason I suggested this is because I dont exactly like the idea of sending manned fodder to protect my slow heavy bombers, and other similar reasons.
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

Your troops should appreciate that they don't have to to fight for the scavengers :)
Guardsman Brendo
Trained
Trained

There's a reason I don't run my Project like them. This kinda reminded me of this kind of ground-launched drone the US military is working on. They're quite small, and launchers bring them into the air, and the things buzz around either controlled remotely or preprogrammed for a few hours, until the land via a big net.