Oh where has my version-ity gone?

Here you may talk about Warzone's Gameplay, Strategy & Tactics
JimmyJack
Trained
Trained

Oh where has my version-ity gone?

Post by JimmyJack »

Versions. I have been reading in the forums and I see that people are not all using the same version. They say that this works in this version and that works in that version. So I got to ask is there a better version than 323? One that runs better or mods better or still runs the old editworld maps or plays online better or ... anything really. And if so or even if not seeing as to my very limited bandwidth. I have to ask before I try. Can I download and run more than one version of the game?

So I would be very thankful for any info you could give me about other versions. If and where they are still available for download.

And, unrelated, this has been bugging me for some time. ... Is it just me or dose ---> :idea: <--- that look like the back side of a horse?
Transmission ends ...
JimmyJack
Trained
Trained

Re: Oh where has my version-ity gone?

Post by JimmyJack »

Wow almost 10 days don't everybody reply at once. I have answered part of my own post. I found a guy with WZ3.1.1.exe on a thumb drive so I "rolled the dice" seeing as I didn't know if it would damage my computer or not and installed it.

Now 311 and 323 are both on the HD in separate folders but the folders are not named 311 or 323 they are just 31 and 32. So I still have to ask. Can I download and install another 3.1.x or 3.2.x without getting things all mixed up in the folders?

I like to run and compare them. I am already seeing a lot of changes from 311 to 323. I am getting mods to run on 311 that I could not get to work on 323 for one thing but they was made for 3.1.x so no surprise there.

If I can get more versions to work where can I find the downloads? I went to sourceforge and poked around but all I could find was 3.2.3 and 2.2.1 portable.

And that brings up another Q. Did I read that right? 2.2.1 runs on any comp from a thumb drive? I have been trying to download it for days now and it just will not start downloading. Source forge? My computer? Most likely my busted down Verison phone's hotspot.

Anyway enough babble. Can I get some input here. Any input.
Transmission ends ...
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

On Windows, you can easily install multiple versions of the portable build. These are meant to be separate and isolated, without conflicting with each other.
Fire Truck
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fire Truck »

I've got multiple non-portable versions* installed. No conflicts whatsoever, although my 3.1.5 config folder is inside a generic 3.1 config folder. 3.1.5 seems to be the most recent version with widespread mod support, although there is ongoing work to port mods over to 3.2.3.

*2.3.9, 3.1.2, 3.1.5, and 3.2.3.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

You can safely install multiple, non-portable instances with different minor version (ie 2.3, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 etc) side by side, but installing multiple instances of the game with the same minor version can lead to issues, and is therefore not recommended (but can still work).