jammer tower

Here you may talk about Warzone's Gameplay, Strategy & Tactics
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

jammer tower

Post by andrvaut »

As everyone has already noticed, jammers do not fit into the balance.
This is one of the main reasons why I can not advise everyone to switch to version 3.2. And the holding of tournaments on this version is also in question.

I see a few ways to improve the situation. They do not contradict each other and can be used together:

1) Increase in cost. 1000 per tower will not allow them to use the card.
2) Limitation on the maximum number of 5-10 towers with units included. (Like trucks or command turrets)
3) Priority attack of units on the jammers
4) Increase the distance from which the guilt of hidden units.
5) Pulse mode of the jamming (as in satellites strike).
6) Do not turn off the work while driving.
7) Correction of Radar Detector
vaut ΣΑ [GN], ru streamer.
Tournaments channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzusNa-54ydodtSz2TdHFww
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Re: jammer tower

Post by Terminator »

I would suggest to use jammers only vs. in-direct weapons like artillery. So if jammered units are is range of arty, arty can't see them cause of jammer sensor. And if jammered units close to common enemy units everything works like in 3.1.x, they shoot at them. (dont cut the vision in head-to-head battle)
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Terminator wrote:I would suggest to use jammers only vs. in-direct weapons like artillery. So if jammered units are is range of arty, arty can't see them cause of jammer sensor. And if jammered units close to common enemy units everything works like in 3.1.x, they shoot at them. (dont cut the vision in head-to-head battle)
This is sort of already the case - it is just that the 'close range' is fixed, a very close range, and the same for all weapons. I'm not sure how I'd visualize your suggestion, that is, implement it without making it all very difficult to understand what is going on.

As for the original suggestions: 1) Agreed, price needs to go up. 2) I don't like artificial limitations much. I'd prefer other ways. 3) This should definitely be implemented. 4-7) Not sure what these mean.
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

My English is bad, sorry.

4) I meant the increase in the distance from which the units will sensors the enemy hidden.
5) Interleaving modes of operation and recharging. 15s work after 20s recharging.
6) like riple and other sensor. no work if move unit.
7) now Radar Detector dont work. It see jammer tower good idea.
_Mc_
New user

Post by _Mc_ »

to remove completely from the game..
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

andrvaut wrote:4) I meant the increase in the distance from which the units will sensors the enemy hidden.
5) Interleaving modes of operation and recharging. 15s work after 20s recharging.
6) like riple and other sensor. no work if move unit.
7) now Radar Detector dont work. It see jammer tower good idea.
4) This might be harder than it sounds, because it uses the 'eye vision' range constant for this, and changing this might impact a lot of different stuff.
5) I really like this idea, but like a lot of other good ideas, it is stopped by our ridiculously bad GUI code.
6) We have generally shied away from disabling anything while moving. Other games have tended to go the other direction, and kept 'do something while moving' as a rare superpower. We were probably wrong to go our own way here, but let's not change that now just for this sensor.
7) It works by creating a radar blip on the jammer in a very long distance. If it displayed it fully, then the jammer would be very easy to hard counter.
JimmyJack
Trained
Trained

Post by JimmyJack »

$0.02

A jammer tower works by jamming radar. Now if one can somehow jam radar then nothing radar based will work inside the jammed area. Line of sight only. That is a given. Even in the line of sight some weapons will not work. Wire guidance, for example, depends on the radar of the unit that fired it. Now you can fire the weapon as well as you can by sight but it will not be accurate. CB towers work outside jammed area and don't work inside jammed area.

Now I don't know about the rest of you but when I am in my car my radio works when the car is stopped and when the car is moving as dose my cellphone and the TV and DVD player in the back seat and the anti-aircraft gun on the roof. Moving or not moving has nothing to do with something working or not. It may have an effect on the accuracy of a weapon but that is all.

Last of all. A jammer tower dose not have a clip. It dose not need to be reloaded. If it has power then it is working. Now you could limit the distance between the tower and the nearest power generator and turn the tower off when the power generator, or the oil wells it is running, is destroyed. The number of oil wells on a power generator can also have an effect on the range of the jamming field. Or, when you play, just don't use them.
Transmission ends ...
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

If we limit jammers to towers (disallow turrets) and allow CB radars to be unjammed (because they're not really long-range radars, they're just looking at the incoming parabolas to compute where the shells came from, right? ..unless we're dealing with HOMING-INDIRECT weapons like seraphs or archangels - sounds fine if they bypass it), would it still be OP? It seems that it'd just protect the base from long-range bombardment in this case, but not win the game on the offense(?)
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Just committed this fix (for now): 0e78612aebdf738677bfb1d5986771667373e354 and 6f919d4d87b32aa72b8ea65e20460795c8cbbc1b
Balance and bug fixes for ECM jammer.

It used to get its range from the unit's sensor, rather
than the ECM stats. This has been fixed so that instead,
it gets its sensor range from its ECM range. Having two
separate effective ranges would be somewhat difficult
for technical reasons.

This reduces the effective range of the ECM jammer in the
late game quite a lot, since it no longer gets range
increases from sensor upgrades.

Also, ECM jammer stats changed slightly:
Build points from 100 -> 750
Build power from 20 -> 500
Weight from 100 -> 10000
Jammer tower also changed similarly, with
Build points from 300 -> 750
Build power from 60 -> 500
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

Thanks.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

You know what I just realized, the jammer turret should probably get swapped with the VTOL CB turret because

1. The jammer turret looks very similar to a CB turret so lets just make it VTOL CB
2. Nobody uses VTOL CB turret so lets make the turret model more useful by calling it jammer
3. Lets make jammer arrive after command center relay early on in the game so that it gets some use :)
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Quick question: Is the electronic counter measures mk2 research item meant to increase the range of the jammer?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Berserk Cyborg wrote:Quick question: Is the electronic counter measures mk2 research item meant to increase the range of the jammer?
It looks that way... It doesn't work?
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Don't see any changes with the current results...? I made a quick set of changes that provide more ECM range upgrades (there are already messages for three, so I made three) and made the research that unlocks the turret/tower act like how the radar detector research does it. I don't claim to have made the best messages, though.

Edit: fixed an id typo.
0001-ECM-research-update.patch
ecm.wz