To new people who want boats and helicopters etc.

Here you may talk about Warzone's Gameplay, Strategy & Tactics
bendib
Regular
Regular

To new people who want boats and helicopters etc.

Post by bendib »

I just wanted to explain something. For you, you're new, or you might have been with Warzone for a while, but you haven't learned it to an art yet.

We senior players generally strongly oppose such additions and changes. I'll tell you why.

* Because we've been with the game forever, and it means something to us, and to alter it so much would hurt things, including but not limited to: the history of the game, the gameplay dynamic, and most importantly, our feelings.
* Because that would generally result in gameplay chaos where, for a long time, people would be relearning much of the game.
* Because such changes would make Warzone a different game, not Warzone. This game is not just a cluster of tanks and weapons that we upgrade for more explosions. The game has a storyline, an intended way to be played, and a certain feel to it.

I understand why you'd want those things, but please keep it to mods. Leave the regular game in peace. We don't like changes, and it's not just because we don't like "change", it's because Warzone means something to us, and when you alter it, you're killing a part of the game for some of us.

I can think of many enhancements people *would* want that don't alter the gameplay dynamic. True spectator support, lobby chat, better keyboard shortcuts, ingame research tree etc come to mind.

-Subsentient
Also known as Subsentient.
themac
Trained
Trained

Re: To new people who want boats and helicopters etc.

Post by themac »

I totally agree, and I think that is what these NTW lovers do to Warzone too. :?
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

Agree, bendib. I am not against changes. I am against to many new things. Mods are fine, for example the very nice made "contingency" mod.
Last month, i was on a Warzone Facebook site. There is a very large community in india. They like to implement new things and prefer to play only the NTW maps. Its a pity :-(
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
cumandgetit
Trained
Trained

Post by cumandgetit »

~ i guess my first question would be -

* what do you actually know, first hand, primary source, about the history of wz going back to the retail bbs of 1998-99 ? more specifically, what do you know of the explicitly expressed mission, vision and design intentions for wz layed out in plain english, in thier own bbs, by the creators of the game itself, Pumpkin Studios and by such senior team members as alex mcclean, jim bambra & nick cooke ?
:lecture:

"Almost all our faults are more pardonable than the methods we resort to, to hide them." - Duc de la Rochefoucauld
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

I disagree with you bendib.. so much...

First boats, wouldn't change the world. The only viable map for boats would be fishnet. Nobody really play it right now and I believe it was designed with that in mind. Boats wouldn't change your ntw experience nor any maps with no body of water designed with boats in mind.

Copters might bring some small difficulties, but if they evolve from vtol (so you expect a possible attack over a cliff) and if they are more expensive and/or less resistant then wheels there wouldnt be any game breaking changes from that. A player who would start building copters would have to first make them join the main front. Otherwise he'd lose all his territory.

Also, if you are going the path of not changing anything in the game, we could just make your "vanilla" experience as a mod and keep adding new things to the game. I think that coding a new propulsion model that over with a small round shadow underneath and which ignore the cliff wouldn't be a gigantic task for the developpers. I think we already have good .pie for that.

So really even if the copter end up being boring, it worth a try.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

"I believe it was designed with that in mind" - lol, design the map not to be played. Besides hovercraft essentially is like a boat.. serves the needed purpose from my point.