Please explain Research...

Here you may talk about Warzone's Gameplay, Strategy & Tactics
bvb1909
New user

Please explain Research...

Post by bvb1909 »

Hi

I am new to this game. I got 3.1.2 on my Linux Mint system and started with the tutorial, but it was very small (you build 1 MG Viper and its stuck there with no further instructions). I am not sure if its a bug, but I have been figuring the game out by playing skirmish since, and I am not sure how research works. I tried reading the guide but it only has stats and the tech tree.

Could somebody explain ( or point me to a source ) what is the meaning of various timers and symbols (hearts) on research icons, and some general tips regarding research if you can.

Thanks
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Re: Please explain Research...

Post by Tzeentch »

Therefore I am assuming you've seen http://betaguide.wz2100.net/Research.php

To explain within the icons:

Top left indicates the category the research belongs to, for example a weapon or sensor or propulsion etc.

Top right symbols such as + indicate this is an improvement to an existing piece of technology (for example increasing ROF or damage upgrade.) Th bottom yellow bar indicates the research cost in terms of oil and time to research.

After you research something press F5 where it tells you what you have researched, with details on the topic.

Hearts denote an ally is already researching that piece of technology. To my knowledge both researching the same thing does not increase speed, therefore no benefit.

Tz
bvb1909
New user

Post by bvb1909 »

Thanks.

Could you also explain what the countdown timers are for ? After a timer runs out the tech disappears from the research list (and is sometimes available to build if its a building)
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

yea. I've played through tutorial, and yea its a bit broken. But yes - you build a first units and its over(you should to see a short FMV movie that indicate the end). next is supposed to play "fast tutorial" - little mission
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

As long as the yellow bar is moving, the upcoming research is still not being paid by using energy from the big power bar at the bottom of the screen. When the research has been paid, the research begins, showing a green bar and a timer. When the timer finishes, the new technology is available and the research item disappears from the research facility. Some technologies bring new structures, weapons or bodies, others may improve the existant ones. :)
bvb1909
New user

Post by bvb1909 »

Ok. But some researches have an orange timer on them, and they disappear after the timer runs out even though I havent researched them. Does the game automatically grant research to all players after some time has expired ?
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

bvb1909 wrote:Ok. But some researches have an orange timer on them, and they disappear after the timer runs out even though I havent researched them. Does the game automatically grant research to all players after some time has expired ?
Sounds like an ally researched it for you.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

I had a look into the 3.1.2 now. I can not confirm that it still works as I described before. I can see a yellow bar only and the item desappears when the bar is full. I wonder what happened to the green bar. I remember I was able to see if an upcoming research is still being paid and when it begins to be worked on. The new one-bar-for-everything confuses me. O.o
bvb1909
New user

Post by bvb1909 »

I have verified and found Cyp's explaination to be correct. Research is mutual, and this is very different from most RTS games I have played, no wonder I was befuddled.

From what I have understood so far of the research UI:

i) All allies are given whatever one player researches
ii) yellow bar below icon indicates cost of research
iii) Orange timer indicates an item currently being researched (by you or allies)
iv) A heart indicates if research is being done by an ally
v) If you dont have enough energy then a green bar pops up till you have enough energy

It seems I have it finally figured out. Thanks for all the replies guys :)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Orange timer indicates an item currently being researched (by you or allies)
In the research menu there is a yellow bar wih a timer on each research center. This is your own research progress. There are also bars in the colors of your allies showing their progress if they are researching something. If you happen to research the same thing as your ally you can compare these timers to see who of you should cancel your reseach.

Unfortunately the fact that this game mechanic is present means that many noobs get a lot of hate for researching the same thing as their teammates, or for not researching, since both of these slows down the progress of the whole team, so thanks for asking.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-