Be nice to newbies

Here you may talk about Warzone's Gameplay, Strategy & Tactics
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Be nice to newbies

Post by NoQ »

tell them what they can do better.
Easier said than done. Most of them won't even understand english. That's another reason why i try to avoid open games: first make sure the person is adequate and speakable to, then play with him.
no one likes being called a noob even when they know its true.
Unfortunately, quite a lot of people enjoy it. "Ah i'm not some idiot who spends his whole life practicing the useless game, I just play 'for fun' and it's ok for me to spend all my money on building bunkers in the middle of my base since i find it 'fun'", they say.
and vice versa.
No. Low oil theory includes all stuff required to play high oil; a good low oil player has no trouble adapting himself to high oil, it takes only two or three matches to adapt, at most. On the other hand, people who only enjoy the limited theory of high oil games are usually dying in under 6 minutes in any typical low oil 1x1, simply because they have never thought about things they need to think about there; an huge re-learning is required for them to play well.
Bobnmike
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bobnmike »

Im a low oil player and i cant stand high oil, and im not great at it. Then again i have only played two games. (and i don't plan on playing more, those games are really really boring).
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Post by AWarZoner »

The Overlord wrote:
Cyp wrote:rank is completely meaningless
That is a strong statement, Cyp_ (I think it can at least show newbies from experienced players). :)
@The Overlord I don't with agree with you see why:

I can get "a rank" easily by editing the file in:

Code: Select all

Windows	My Documents\Warzone 2100\\multiplay\players\[filename].sta
Linux	~/.warzone2100/multiplay/players/[filename].sta
Mac OS X	~/Library/Application Support/Warzone 2100/multiplay/players/[filename].sta
Step (1)Open [filename].sta in notepad, wordpad or notepad++ etc. :geek:

Step (2) And edit the file. You will quickly understand how the file works. :geek:

(AWarZoner),
Andrie
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I don't host that many games, but when I do, I generally ask people the question "are you good?"
That way, I can differentiate between the "playing under new name" guys and the "what should I build to produce tanks?" guys.
The fact that most good hosts try to distribute the newbs evenly among the teams also works to discourage players who edited their ranks, since they realize they will probably be teamed up with weaker players and the match will end very quickly.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Post by AWarZoner »

Jorzi wrote:The fact that most good hosts try to distribute the newbs evenly among the teams also works to discourage players who edited their ranks, since they realize they will probably be teamed up with weaker players and the match will end very quickly.
Yea. :hmm:
It's a actually shame. :cry:
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

People who edit up ranks don't `realize', i'm quite sure.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I'm sure there will still be people doing it, but at least some of the people who would otherwise do it will not because they realize it decreases their chances. Also, people who claim and pretend to be pro, but aren't, are rightfully noob-bashed.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Canadian Eh
New user

Post by Canadian Eh »

Every time I've been a newbie somewhere, I feel like I have to remind people I'm a newbie not an idiot. It makes it much more enjoyable when the "pros" are willing to teach the newbie a thing or two. Playing AI's is lot different then playing real people. It should be alot easier to learn from a live person.
Crypt_UK
New user

Post by Crypt_UK »

Your little community is not very nice to new guys.

We are not stupid or dumb. We just don't know how to play the game as well as more experienced players. Guides are very hard to come by with all the broken links.

All it takes is a little time from some experienced members to help the new guys learn a few basics about the multiplayer side of the game.

I just quit playing a game because an experienced player started raging ingame that I was afk and I should send my units to attack. I wasn't AFK, I was watching what my team were doing and attempting to emulate their activities. The experienced guy just quit out of the game.

This sort of impatient attitude is immature and unnecessary and ultimately very bad for what is a very old game and a very small community.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Crypt_UK wrote:This sort of impatient attitude is immature and unnecessary and ultimately very bad for what is a very old game and a very small community.
I dont think its that small I am sorry you met the narrow minded newbie haters if you start getting into the irc channel you will find a wealth of knowledge there about balance tactics and all round free info just listen to the real players chatting, yes at times its a little slow when everyone is in epic battles or its off peak time but its a good place to start your online warring.

Again Im sorry you met the narrow minded children in a few years when they mature they might be ok.

PS: Welcome to warzone
Berg
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

Crypt_UK wrote:-snip-
Were you playing perhaps on Squared4Pro? Also, were you playing with tomato_insertnamehere? A few of them are quite rude, if I may say so. It's quite rude of you to assume the whole community acts like that, on the other hand.
You can find a whole lot of knowledge by simply going here:
webchat.freenode.net
Then join:
#warzone2100-games
You'll be able to find all the help you need there, as my aussie friend said. :lol2:
Also found this around
http://warzone2100.zxq.net/tags/build.html
Xfire-->chris37killer
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

chat
irc
I'd like to underline that too, again.

In community with ~50% adequate players, your chances of getting a good 4x4 game would be under 1%. Even with 90% adequate players, less than half of your 4x4 games would amount to something more than irritation. The actual number is based on your definition of `adequate', of course.

But when you know people you are playing with, everything changes dramatically. If you manage to "know" someone, if you have a chance to talk to him regularly, even by finding him in an online chat every day, you already want to play with him. It would be fun regardless of how well you or he plays. He's your friend after all. You're already a team.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

Play with me. I am friendly to everyone. :)
technician
Rookie
Rookie

Post by technician »

Yeah, some players/hosts out there can be a**holes. When I first tried MP (I already did a lot of singleplayer so I knew how to play), I got kicked once (because of my rank which doesn't mean anything anyway because I figured out how to change it) and the game I did play I got called a noob, other than that, my teammate didn't talk much. We actually won (good effort for a team that can't communicate). Then I tried joining a game after changing my rank, and suddenly everyone wanted me there, so I left because my rank was far greater than I wanted people to think I was, and I didn't see a need to ruin there game.

What I am trying to say is that some people in this community tend to discriminate against new players (usually based on their rank). If these players could learn to give constructive advice instead of just calling someone a "****ing noob" this community would probably grow much quicker. It also doesn't help that new players don't know that the best way to arrange a game is through IRC.

No offence to the players who already play responsibly.
Last edited by Staff on 02 Apr 2014, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no swearing please