NullBot starting position sensitivity

Here you may talk about Warzone's Gameplay, Strategy & Tactics
PkK
Trained
Trained

NullBot starting position sensitivity

Post by PkK »

I've been playing a few matches against AIs on the 5-player map that comes with 3.1.

I played at the player at the bottom of the map, and used the default AI for the middle left and middle right players. I used NullBot and SemperFi for the upper two players. The map is rather symmetric. I'm not a very good player, but I play warzone once in a while, and even won in multiplayer once in a while, and usually win against the AI.

Now here's what happens in the matches on the 5-player map: When I have NullBot as the upper right player, it manages to hold its ground, and does battle other players once in a while but that's it. I've played three matches in this cofiguration and always did win easily.
When I have NullBot as the upper left player, it manages to defeat the other AIs, and becomes very strong, giving a real challenge. I've played three matches in this configuration, and while I lasted longer each time, I've lost them all.

Why does NullBot perform so differently depending on starting position on this quite symmetric map?

Philipp
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: NullBot starting position sensitivity

Post by NoQ »

I wouldn't call this map symmetric. It is oriented counter-clockwise; inner ramp may be preferable for attacking, at least for AIs, while outer ramp will most likely be rarely used by AIs. That's why, whatever player is chosen by nullbot@0 to die first, he will most likely move his tanks near nexus@4; and nullbot@1 will meet semperfi@0 most of the time instead.

Do i make sense?
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

NoQ wrote:I wouldn't call this map symmetric. It is oriented counter-clockwise; inner ramp may be preferable for attacking, at least for AIs, while outer ramp will most likely be rarely used by AIs. That's why, whatever player is chosen by nullbot@0 to die first, he will most likely move his tanks near nexus@4; and nullbot@1 will meet semperfi@0 most of the time instead.

Do i make sense?
On one hand yes, on the other hand I doubt that meeting a SemperFI vs. meeting a Nexus first will mkae such a huge difference for NullBot. If I find time I'll see if I can reproduce the issue with only the NullBot and one other AI type.

Philipp
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

That's not the only difference. In one of the cases he meets your neighbor.
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

NoQ wrote:That's not the only difference. In one of the cases he meets your neighbor.
Is there a way to have an AI-only skirmish, to test if that's what makes the difference?

Philipp
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

From what I saw during the games, I got the impression, that NullBot, when starting in the upper right corner is likely to get some groups of tanks stuck somewhere instead of using them efficiently.

Philipp
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Quite possible too (:
Is there a way to have an AI-only skirmish, to test if that's what makes the difference?
No, unless you modify the map.