Did you ever wonder how the nexus link turret works?

Here you may talk about Warzone's Gameplay, Strategy & Tactics
gulik
New user

Did you ever wonder how the nexus link turret works?

Post by gulik »

Gary was scouting around the Nexus base. He had been here for three days, and it wouldn't be long before he would need to return to base to refuel his cyborg suit. Sleeping in the suit was not a problem, and the suit would waken him when anything happened. An attack by Nexus had been expected for some time now, but depite the occassional bit of activity behind the enemy defences and the occasional truck, no units had left the base. Gary sat down on a rock, shifting slightly in his suit to get comfortable as best he could with the synaptic link holding his neck in an awkward position.

"Gary, report in".
"Nothing to report. No activity".
"Roger that. Susan will be joining you."

He flipped open his visor. The air was foul, tainted by industrial fumes, diesel and dust, but the breeze on his face was a welcome relief from the stuffy air processing system in his suit.

"Anything happening here?".

Gary was startled by the sudden voice. It was Susan.

"No. The visibility past the walls is poor. I can occasionally pick up cyborg activity behind the walls, but there isn't any indication they'll be coming out soon.".

He was, however, wrong. A growl of a dozen gas turbine engines filled the quiet valley with a ghastly sound. The two soldiers stood up and quickly mounted their guns to their suits. They would be completely defenceless against any significant attack, so they were quickly devising a route to escape by. Tanks emerged from the main base.

"Command, this is Gary. We have activity at the base here. Detecting 13 or 14 tanks, big ones by the sound of it and an unknown number of cyborgs."
"Roger that. Get the hell out of there."

Gary and Susan retreated up the slope and around the corner, only to be confronted by a sleek black hovercraft. Mounted on top was a turret that they feared the most; it's triangular red and black form was not just a weapon but a religeon of death and destruction. It was the Nexus Link Turret, more feared than any weapon of instant death or prolonged pain.

They froze. Their route to base was blocked by this menace. Their alternative was now a valley populated by tanks. Gary darted for the rocks, leaping for whatever cover could be found.

"Gary, my systems are malfunctioning. I can't move!"
"Susan, get over here!"
"Gary, my suit has locked up!"

He jumped from the rocks to grab her. The Nexus turret fired a beam of precisely coordinated information, designed to infiltrate the software of their suits.

"Gary, no, get away!"

He grabbed her arm.

"Gary, my suit is moving!"

Susan's other arm lifted the heavy gun and aimed it at his torso. He backed off and ran behind the cover again. Chips of metal flew from the armour of his suit as explosions echoed. He hit the ground hard, rolling to look at his comrad.

Susan was walking towards him, her gun pointed at him, her white face showing pure terror through the visor.

"Gary! Help me!"

His throat felt like he had just swallowed a tennis ball. He felt numbness running down his spine. He aimed his gun at her visor and fired several rounds.

Susan's head was no longer a sight a grown man would want to look at. What was left of her head inside the helmet was now flopping forward, impaled on the shards of glass that had once shielded her face from the weather. Her hair hung messily out, still shiny brown and neatly groomed, but covered with blood and goblets of torn flesh.

Yet she relentlessly marched towards him. Her gun fired. Gary felt a jolt, then intense heat, then nothing.

Susan would report back to base, but under different circumstances. Her corpse, being digested by the local insect life, would be unnaturally animated as it helped the enemy devastate yet another annoyance in its path of conquest.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: Did you ever wonder how the nexus link turret works?

Post by aubergine »

The only thing I'd fear more than coming face to face with a Nexus Link Turret whilst wearing a cyborg suit would be farting in one, the suit that is. It's the reason I never became an astronaut.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Moving. Original. Artfully crafted. Well done. Thanks for sharing. :)

Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

aubergine wrote:The only thing I'd fear more than coming face to face with a Nexus Link Turret whilst wearing a cyborg suit would be farting in one, the suit that is. It's the reason I never became an astronaut.
Yeah, recycling THAT air would be really bad... especially after a big breakfast of eggs and other smelly gas producing foods :lol2: :augh:

Good story though, any plans to continue or at least expand on it a bit?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

In any fiction you have 3 basic choices of treatment: drama, comedy or dramedy. The choice made by gulik was clearly drama and on those terms he succeeded, IMO. His craft in this piece is mature and polished. It is his second post in 4 years. For selfish reasons I would wish to see more of his work. Could be wrong, indeed hope I am, but I sense it just may not be in the cards for that outcome. :hmm:
gulik
New user

Post by gulik »

Mature and polished? Lol. I failed English at school. Thanks, anyway.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

gulik wrote:Mature and polished? Lol. I failed English at school. Thanks, anyway.
Well school teachers have been known to make egregious mistakes in judging their students abilities. Classic example being Albert E. in middleschool being judged backwards, addled and a future failure by his instructors. It's really not that uncommon for pedagogs to misjudge creatives across all the arts and sciences.

From A. E's. bio on this score:
His father intended for him to pursue electrical engineering, but Einstein clashed with authorities and resented the school's regimen and teaching method. He later wrote that the spirit of learning and creative thought were lost in strict rote learning.
I too was failed by my 7th grade English teacher and was even told I didn't have it when it came to creative writing. Boy, was she fracked-up in her judgement. ;)

I've loved language and storytelling most of my life. I call it as I see it, either way, good or not so good. I honestly think you have a talent and would encourage you to explore it. That's all. :3
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

RJ, check out the story/game design behind Vega Strike This is the most recent draft and the easiest to dig up atm. Don't mean to hijack the thread but... your PMs are off :(
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:RJ, check out the story/game design behind Vega Strike This is the most recent draft and the easiest to dig up atm. Don't mean to hijack the thread but... your PMs are off :(
Oops. Sorry 'bout that. Thought i had it on. I'll change it now. Be happy to check it out LA and i'll PM you by the weekend.

My apology for the off topic intrusion, gulik.