dynamic balance for high/low oil

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)

Would you agree with dynamic price setting for better balance between high and low oil

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 4

Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

dynamic balance for high/low oil

Post by Iluvalar »

It is a redundant discussion around here lately, there is a small gap between balance for low oil and balance for high oil.

To be clear, the function that determine the strength of a group [ (f²+f)/2 ] is quickly growing. As a strange result, 4 units that gang on 2 units will do a tiny bit better than 2 units that gang on 1. Therefore, depending on how much power you have to spend, the balance between expensive and cheap units vary slightly.

With the help of the devs, I could make the function that would scale the price of everything according to the amount of oil and the amount of different teams in the map.

This does not mean scaling the price 1:1 with the number of oil.
The price of cheap units would stay the same. This would just tweak the balance for quantity/quality perspective.

This way, we would be able to get a good balance for both situation.

The only side effect :
Expensive components (heavy bodies, tracks, heavy weapons) will be a bit cheaper in high-oil maps. Not exactly what the FAQ will state. It should not affect the game play that much and will allow high oil AND low oil player to talk about comparable experiences.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: dynamic balance for high/low oil

Post by Per »

It is simple to fix. Just make power generators and oil derricks cost more.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

No because it's out of question to make the price of the derrick "balanced". By that i mean make the price so high that the option to build it become questionable. That's around 300$ (if i recall correctly).

Players plays high oil for 2 reason :
A) They want to nerf the research layer.
B) They want more units.

And I believe most players just want more units because my NRS mod (that scale the research with the quantity of oil) work well amongst the high oil player.

More units make the more expensive one a little bit weaker. It could be fixed when we load the price from the stats files by tuning down the price of high things.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

But it works both ways, for the player and the opponent, so it is already balanced …
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

iap wrote:But it works both ways, for the player and the opponent, so it is already balanced …
You completely misunderstand the notion of balance (:

The balance is not of different players, but of different strategies. High oil maps overpower certain strategies and underpower certain others, that's why we say that the high-oil balance is different.

P.S. No, i don't think that the rules need to be different for different maps. But a function that scales production times so that the overpowered things were less overpowered could be certainly nice.
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

Iluvalar wrote: Players plays high oil for 2 reason :
A) They want to nerf the research layer.
B) They want more units.
С) They dont like 'truck race' and oil searching
D) Thay want build big base with lot of defenses and dont care about price of it
E) Use more kinds of weapons in 1 game
standard high oil game includes direct weapon, artillery, vtol

also, why you think high oil games not balanced??
use MG or cannons, rockets, cyborgs - yes
you can attack of stay on defense - yes
use any propulsion for your needs, for example tracks used often on high oil than on low oil

turtle tactics uneffective on low oil, exept some 1-2 maps, and you say low oil balanced?