The NEW Command post/commanders fixey poll

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)

What should we do about commanders in multiplayer?

Poll ended at 28 Mar 2012, 09:55

Make command relay post required again, make it cost $225, and give commanders a 30 unit limit.
10%
Make command relay post required again, leave the current price, and give commanders a 30 unit limit.
30%
Make command relay post required again, make it cost $225, but don't touch the current 6 unit limit for commanders.
No votes
Make command relay post required again, leave the current price, but don't touch the current 6 unit limit for commanders.
20%
Just give commanders a 30 unit limit, and don't make the command post necessary.
No votes
Don't alter it at all.
No votes
Make commanders have a self destruct option. (added this odd option for Cyp)
10%
I have another solution posted below.
30%

Total votes: 10

bendib
Regular
Regular

The NEW Command post/commanders fixey poll

Post by bendib »

Hi, it bugs me that the command relay post is a decoration, and that commanders are completely useless, so I had to come up with a way to make them balanced where you don't have to use them, yet useful at the same time.

My idea is a 30 unit limit in multiplayer and $225 for the command relay post, which will be required for them.
It doesn't change the gpm too much, which is why I am for this change, and it fixes what I consider a bug, a structure required for research that provides no benefits.
Also known as Subsentient.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Re: The NEW Command post/commanders fixey poll

Post by JDW »

Polls are a fad now! XD XD XD

EDIT: On a more serious note, I think that the only way to make the CRC useful again is to add value to Commander units and also to make the CRC strategically important rather than just make it a pre-requisite. We need to do a whole lot more brainstorming than just start a poll. I know your intentions are good bendib, and I want the same thing as you do, but I think a poll is not the right approach for now, not yet at least. We need to brainstorm and put some ideas on the board first.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Polls mean nothing so why bother
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

voted for "Make command relay post required again, leave the current price, and give commanders a 30 unit limit"

i remember there was was issues with commander's unit groups and it was harder to handle this groups (they move forward when you order back and they move back when you need push enemy)
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

I'm personally most interested in just raising the unit limit cap to 10 for starting commanders. 10-16 seem like fine numbers, though anything below that seems too restrictive, while anything above that may seem too OP.

Also, I personally don't care about whether or not the Command Relay Center stays or goes. Either is fine by me.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

"Required again" What?
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

With polls I would wait for conclusion in their ideas thread, also it should be multiple choice one (to let to prioritize specific aspects).
Also current infrastructure doesn't let to make real poll anyway, where you could vote "bad" / "good" for specific feature without creation of multiple no / yes polls or with really multiple choices. ;-)

So not voting at all for now.
effigy wrote:"Required again" What?
I think that like in campaign, people tend to forget about this really important aspect of Warzone. ;-)
Last edited by Emdek on 21 Mar 2012, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

JDW wrote:... the only way to make the CRC useful again is to add value to Commander units and also to make the CRC strategically important rather than just make it a pre-requisite. We need to do a whole lot more brainstorming than just start a poll. ...
Lots of pondering going on in ideas forum: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9119
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Emdek wrote:With polls I would wait for conclusion in their ideas thread, also it should be multiple choice one (to let to prioritize specific aspects).
Also current infrastructure doesn't let to make real poll anyway, where you could vote "bad" / "good" for specific feature without creation of multiple no / yes polls or with really multiple choices. ;-)

So not voting at all for now.
effigy wrote:"Required again" What?
I think that like in campaign, people tend to forget about this really important aspect of Warzone. ;-)
I took that to mean that currently CRC wasn't required for commanders.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Maybe in MP, in SP you even can't research them without building it first (but AFAIK it is not required for them to operate).
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

If the goal is to settle on a set of changes, make a mod, test in MP, gather data, analyze ... repeat... well then it is an effort of tangible value. :)

In the thread referenced by aubergine above, the deep brainstorming being done is within a 2-tiered, pragmatic framework designed with that very end goal - live testing a series of mods of increasing complexity that are subject (as best as possible) to the scientific method of experimentation & analysis as we progress. Such criteria as balance, flow, win viabilty, in-theater tactics expansion & enhancing the fun-factor, would be central to that process as a whole.

So, if what your doing here will result in MP play testing data then it will surely advance the cause of Commanders. :D

There is value in brainstorming & polling....but, it's like coming up with what you're sure is a great receipe for a fine meal.... you gotta get it all put together just right and cook it well otherwise you'll never know, one way or another, & just go hungry thinking about what could have been a tasty meal.

- Regards, Rman :hmm:
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

I already told in another topic that, raising the limit to 30. Will FORCE everyone that want to use commander to that limit. It will not be an option but an obligation.

The commander is a pretty special unit, we do not have the choice of the price. It is fixed by constraint in the game mechanics. ignoring that and making a poll about the price is stupid.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

Iluvalar what you suggest then? (did not read anoter thread..)
in current games, commanders is fully useless option
for high oil games limit 30 is still option, because units die often and you cannot micromanage group carefully
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

JDW wrote:Polls are a fad now! XD XD XD

EDIT: On a more serious note, I think that the only way to make the CRC useful again is to add value to Commander units and also to make the CRC strategically important rather than just make it a pre-requisite. We need to do a whole lot more brainstorming than just start a poll. I know your intentions are good bendib, and I want the same thing as you do, but I think a poll is not the right approach for now, not yet at least. We need to brainstorm and put some ideas on the board first.
And I appreciate your intentions JDW, but brainstorming leads to serious balance changes. Therefore I am against it. :^3
Also known as Subsentient.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

You should play v.1.0, the retail release peeps paid around $35.00 US for, to fully appreciate those serious changes (inc bal) the game underwent through v.1.10 - which only ended the "serious changes" because Pumpkin Studios was dissolved.

I presume from your last statement that you don't consider any of your poll suggested changes as posing any "serious balance changes" and if that is a correct reading I have to ask upon what evidence are you basing that? Have you already made and MP tested all these Mods and the results were that there were no "serious balance changes"?

I'm keeping an open-mind inspite of this not adding up to me as even bare bones consistent within your own terms.