The NEW Command post/commanders fixey poll

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)

What should we do about commanders in multiplayer?

Poll ended at 28 Mar 2012, 09:55

Make command relay post required again, make it cost $225, and give commanders a 30 unit limit.
10%
Make command relay post required again, leave the current price, and give commanders a 30 unit limit.
30%
Make command relay post required again, make it cost $225, but don't touch the current 6 unit limit for commanders.
No votes
Make command relay post required again, leave the current price, but don't touch the current 6 unit limit for commanders.
20%
Just give commanders a 30 unit limit, and don't make the command post necessary.
No votes
Don't alter it at all.
No votes
Make commanders have a self destruct option. (added this odd option for Cyp)
10%
I have another solution posted below.
30%

Total votes: 10

Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Re: The NEW Command post/commanders fixey poll

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Emdek wrote:
Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:I recently thought of another idea for improving commanders. Perhaps, if 10 still seems like too steep a limit in terms of how many units a fresh commander may have assigned to it, then maybe we could increase, or even remove, the limit on how many commanders a player may control at a time.
There is UI issue (it was designed for 5 only AFAIK, needs "tabs"), also it is probably worth to simply make them better.
For increasing amount of assigned units, it could depend (initial one, increased 25% with each next rank) on which command turret it was built (those turret upgrades replace previous one or what?) or add additional research item (for turret or CRC module maybe) which increases that limit (maybe with Mk stages, each one increasing it further).
Also, you can always use strategy of making one unit especially experienced and then recycle it to build first commander, it's easier to use it in campaign, but surely doable also in MP.
It probably would need the addition of tabs, though I'd imagine that it wouldn't be that hard to implement. In fact, I believe that I once saw Reg312 work on expanding the number of tabs that could be used for selecting weapons in the design screen, increasing turret limits from 32 to 128. See ticket #3160 for more information.

By the way, you seem to me like you're one of those guys that prefers to implement more radical changes to solve problems. 1st, you suggested that trucks be given the ability to take over incomplete structures as a means to solve the problem of partially-built derrick spamming, and now you suggest increasing commanders' unit assignment limits to as high as 30 units? Have you ever thought about what the consequences of your proposed changes would be like?
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Shadow Wolf TJC, well, sometimes revolution is better than evolution. ;-)
And yes, I'm thinking about possible consequences but it's hard to predict them all, this is why I like feedback and tend to change my ideas after getting good arguments. :-)
About commanders, current solution with slowly increasing commander limit when it doubles is slow (at least in campaign, I've not used them too much in MP / SK). You need to "rick" the system by recycling experienced tanks first.
So I would let it gain bigger limits more quickly (by research or another experience formula, maybe even changing how current solution distributes experience point in commander group).
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Emdek wrote:Shadow Wolf TJC, well, sometimes revolution is better than evolution. ;-)
Not always though. Sometimes, it could make life worse off instead. Remember how, before the start of World War II, Adolf Hitler managed to win the hearts of Germans by pulling them out of depression, and how these same people became disillusioned with him as World War II progressed to its end? :wink:
Emdek wrote:And yes, I'm thinking about possible consequences but it's hard to predict them all, this is why I like feedback and tend to change my ideas after getting good arguments. :-)
About commanders, current solution with slowly increasing commander limit when it doubles is slow (at least in campaign, I've not used them too much in MP / SK). You need to "rick" the system by recycling experienced tanks first.
So I would let it gain bigger limits more quickly (by research or another experience formula, maybe even changing how current solution distributes experience point in commander group).
Like I said before, I'm more of a moderate myself. Like you, I'm in favor of seeing changes happen when need be, though at a more gradual pace, so that we could quickly and painlessly reverse course just in case it turned out to be more of a poor solution. :wink:
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Shadow Wolf TJC, yes, *sometimes*. ;-)
For changes, I'm all for flexible core where you don't need to experiment / change course, where you simply create and distribute your changes in form of mod / mutator and then we could have a poll which solution should be default (and others would be still available, including previous default one).
Like make engine / core big sandbox to build on top, with sensible defaults.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.