But... Who is volunteer ?

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)

But... Who is volunteer ?

Postby Iluvalar » 12 Mar 2012, 20:39

It's cool, we have a new forum where we can talk about all kind of balance changes...

But, who is volunteer to make a compilation of our choices and, more importantly, make the actual mod needed ?
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
User avatar
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 1782
Joined: 02 Oct 2010, 18:44

Re: But... Who is volunteer ?

Postby Reg312 » 12 Mar 2012, 20:49

i see there too much people who dont like any changes in "balance" and i see players who uses every small thing in game, and this players will also lose their skills if balance become changed :)
i published my patch for propulsion and i did not got any reaction, so i think people disagreed
https://github.com/crabster/warzone2100 ... 463065d3ab

another moment: we have some things working weird (accuracy)
better if some developer make normal accuracy system first before any balancing
Reg312
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 681
Joined: 25 Mar 2011, 18:36

Re: But... Who is volunteer ?

Postby Per » 12 Mar 2012, 20:51

What needs to be compiled?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member
 
Posts: 3627
Joined: 03 Aug 2006, 19:39

Re: But... Who is volunteer ?

Postby zany » 12 Mar 2012, 20:55

Reg312 wrote:i see there too much people who dont like any changes in "balance" and i see players who uses every small thing in game, and this players will also lose their skills if balance become changed :)
i published my patch for propulsion and i did not got any reaction, so i think people disagreed
https://github.com/crabster/warzone2100 ... 463065d3ab

another moment: we have some things working weird (accuracy)
better if some developer make normal accuracy system first before any balancing

there is no point in doing a compilation if everyone and their mom thinks the changes would be worse :lol2:
fix the issues first then do balance one by one so we can test them :3
zany
Trained
Trained
 
Posts: 303
Joined: 20 Sep 2011, 07:04

Re: But... Who is volunteer ?

Postby Iluvalar » 12 Mar 2012, 21:14

Per wrote:What needs to be compiled?

who knows ?

zany wrote:fix the issues first then do balance one by one so we can test them :3

Who ? That's the question.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
User avatar
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 1782
Joined: 02 Oct 2010, 18:44

Re: But... Who is volunteer ?

Postby Cyp » 12 Mar 2012, 21:59

Who the what if when why which witch?
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani
 
Posts: 691
Joined: 17 Jan 2010, 23:35

Re: But... Who is volunteer ?

Postby zany » 12 Mar 2012, 22:30

Iluvalar wrote:
Per wrote:What needs to be compiled?

who knows ?

zany wrote:fix the issues first then do balance one by one so we can test them :3

Who ? That's the question.

O_o can we get a 2+2=5 display on the forums? :lol2:
zany
Trained
Trained
 
Posts: 303
Joined: 20 Sep 2011, 07:04

Re: But... Who is volunteer ?

Postby effigy » 13 Mar 2012, 01:23

Reg312 wrote:i see there too much people who dont like any changes in "balance" and i see players who uses every small thing in game, and this players will also lose their skills if balance become changed :)
i published my patch for propulsion and i did not got any reaction, so i think people disagreed
https://github.com/crabster/warzone2100 ... 463065d3ab

another moment: we have some things working weird (accuracy)
better if some developer make normal accuracy system first before any balancing


Maybe most people participating are not familiar with adding patches to source and compiling on their own?

Uploading a mod, or a map-mod with your changes would be best if you want players to test your changes. It'd probably be good for you to test them, too, prior to have anything committed.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
User avatar
effigy
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 03:21

Re: But... Who is volunteer ?

Postby aubergine » 13 Mar 2012, 01:31

I'd be happy to test stuff if it came pre-compiled. Although I'm by no means an expert player so not sure how useful my feedback would be.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
User avatar
aubergine
Professional
Professional
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: 10 Oct 2010, 00:58

Re: But... Who is volunteer ?

Postby Reg312 » 13 Mar 2012, 02:14

effigy wrote:Maybe most people participating are not familiar with adding patches to source and compiling on their own?
Uploading a mod, or a map-mod with your changes would be best if you want players to test your changes. It'd probably be good for you to test them, too, prior to have anything committed.


ok i'll make some maps with mod tomorrow (too sleepy now)
but to test and feel changes need more than 1-2 games

i just waited if someone have thoughts about propulsion changes
some issues can appear with improved wheeled propulsion (possibly stronger early rushes)
Reg312
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 681
Joined: 25 Mar 2011, 18:36

Re: But... Who is volunteer ?

Postby effigy » 13 Mar 2012, 02:27

Reg312 wrote:
effigy wrote:Maybe most people participating are not familiar with adding patches to source and compiling on their own?
Uploading a mod, or a map-mod with your changes would be best if you want players to test your changes. It'd probably be good for you to test them, too, prior to have anything committed.


ok i'll make some maps with mod tomorrow (too sleepy now)
but to test and feel changes need more than 1-2 games

i just waited if someone have thoughts about propulsion changes
some issues can appear with improved wheeled propulsion (possibly stronger early rushes)


I'm always around to help play-test new mods like this :)
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
User avatar
effigy
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 03:21

Re: But... Who is volunteer ?

Postby Reg312 » 13 Mar 2012, 17:48

here is my modded maps in zip-archive for testing propulsion changes.
cmb01 maps.zip
(311.61 KiB) Downloaded 202 times


Note: "Truck" renamed to "Truck (mod cmb01)" - to notice you are playing mod
in some cases you can select wrong map, and if you dont see "Truck (mod cmb01)", you need rehost right map :)

patch link: https://github.com/crabster/warzone2100 ... 463065d3ab

list of maps:
2c-StartUp
4c-Rush
4c-Villiage
6c-Arid
8c-Abandoned
8c-BeerNTW
8c-BeerOutpostV4

Changes:
improved: wheeled, tracked
nerfed: hover

Changed item: Wheels [wheeled01]
-Field Name: 'Build power' old value:50 new value: 45
-Field Name: 'Build points' old value:50 new value: 45
-Field Name: 'Body points' old value:100 new value: 150
Changed item: Tracks [tracked01]
-Field Name: 'Build power' old value:125 new value: 110
-Field Name: 'Build points' old value:125 new value: 110
-Field Name: 'Weight' old value:650 new value: 500
Changed item: Hover [hover01]
-Field Name: 'Weight' old value:200 new value: 275
-Field Name: 'Body points' old value:150 new value: 140
-Field Name: 'Max speed' old value:300 new value: 260

Reasons why propulsion was changed you can see in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9051

in short:
1) Wheeled propulsion was useless, with this patch wheels can become again useless OR it can become good and competitive to half-tracks and hover
2) Tracked propulsion was used rare, but by my opinion we should have more slow and strong units in game :)
*tracks was impoved a bit, it does not affect any tactics in game, but player with tracked tanks now can make tanks a bit faster (~3-5%) and and with a bit lesser price (~3-5%)
3) Hover propulsion was very effective, with this patch hover tank get slower speed, but it still much faster than all other land propulsion

possibly new strategies:
1) Hit&Run with rockets on wheeled propulson
it can be effective against cannons or rockets on half-tracks
2) flamers on viper wheels as alternative of flamer cyborgs
3) cannons on tracked propulsion (weight of tracked was decreased)
4) in some cases you dont need research half-tracks and you can push enemy with wheeled tanks
but you should know: wheeled tanks fast on road, but slow on another ground
Reg312
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 681
Joined: 25 Mar 2011, 18:36


Return to Balance