How to fix the problem with oil-denying half-built derricks?

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)

Which solution do you like the most?

Poll ended at 09 Mar 2012, 14:31

Allow trucks to take over enemy partially-built structures (including derricks) by continuing building from where the enemy trucks left off, and finishing them up. (May only work if no enemy trucks are currently working on building the structure.)
14%
Allow trucks to demolish enemy partially-built structures (including derricks) while no enemy trucks are working on them. (The rate at when they're demolished may be reduced for enemy structures.)
9%
Reducing the time that oil wells burn in proportion to how complete the derrick was upon destruction (meaning that, if the derrick was only slightly built, then the well would be on fire for like only 1 second).
18%
Only set the well on fire if the derrick was already completed when it was destroyed.
17%
Give trucks the ability to capture enemy structures, including derricks, regardless of how complete they are (similar to NEXUS Link Turrets, though probably much less powerful).
5%
Have incomplete structures decay (auto-demolish), and eventually disappear, over time if they're not being worked on. (For Oil Derricks, they would not cause the well to catch on fire upon disappearing.)
14%
Add a price to Oil Derricks.
12%
Other. (Please explain.)
6%
This shouldn't be fixed at all!
5%

Total votes: 65

NoQ
Special
Special

Re: How to fix the problem with oil-denying half-built derri

Post by NoQ »

Nope, I still don't understand.
You want to distinguish neutral oil derricks from scavenger oil derricks? Why?
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

NoQ, in this idea I would disallow of taking over of extra derricks by putting neutral structures on them (if there are no Scavengers), but this might be overkill...
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

So you want only *some* of the extra oil derricks to be pre-captured?
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Yes, only those really "extra" ones, as iap stated earlier.

NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Let me try again. You want to say that there should be three sorts of derricks: the ones belonging to advanced bases, the extra derricks and the "really" extra derricks? And you want to re-make all maps to distinguish between extra derricks and "really" extra derricks?
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

NoQ, since I don't exactly know concept of derricks of advanced bases (but I guess that they are those which exists on power sources when beginning game with advanced bases) I'll use "primitive" description. ;-)
Extra derricks is a concept from iap, for me those would be selected using some algorithm, first mark "core" ones (intended for use for specific player on start), this might use data about those belonging to player in "advanced bases" mode and if that data is not available then calculate that giving player (as leaving them without neutral building on top) four closest ones (there might be additional checks for cases when there is for example less than four sources per player).
Those which wouldn't be marked as "core" for players would be marked as "extra" and if there would be no Scavengers then those would have neutral derricks structures to destroy to gain access to power source.

Clearer now? ;-)

NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Hmm probably :oops:

Well, i think that trusting pre-built bases is the simpliest way, though getting four closest ones is nice too (high-oil fans will bury us though). In fact, the standard way of pre-built derricks, free derricks and derricks in scavenger bases is three-way enough, so this can be used for anything more complicated.

Alternatively, we could only cap the derricks that are capped in scavenger mode, which are usually the central derricks, that is, the hottest ones. This will make capped derricks mode intermediate between scavengers mode and no scavengers mode.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

NoQ wrote:Alternatively, we could only cap the derricks that are capped in scavenger mode, which are usually the central derricks, that is, the hottest ones. This will make capped derricks mode intermediate between scavengers mode and no scavengers mode.
That would also improve situation. ;-)

bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

effigy wrote: Adding cost to derricks is one of my votes
NOOOOOO!!!!!

Effigy has gone over to the noob side!!!!!!!!
Also known as Subsentient.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

You complain because YOU are the noob. You are scared to lose an advantage because you are unable to win with pure skill. Face it :P
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

bendib wrote:
effigy wrote: Adding cost to derricks is one of my votes
NOOOOOO!!!!!

Effigy has gone over to the noob side!!!!!!!!
:lol2:
make them cost 50 would solve this problem
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

Emdek wrote:NoQ, since I don't exactly know concept of derricks of advanced bases (but I guess that they are those which exists on power sources when beginning game with advanced bases) I'll use "primitive" description. ;-)
Extra derricks is a concept from iap, for me those would be selected using some algorithm, first mark "core" ones (intended for use for specific player on start), this might use data about those belonging to player in "advanced bases" mode and if that data is not available then calculate that giving player (as leaving them without neutral building on top) four closest ones (there might be additional checks for cases when there is for example less than four sources per player).
Those which wouldn't be marked as "core" for players would be marked as "extra" and if there would be no Scavengers then those would have neutral derricks structures to destroy to gain access to power source.

Clearer now? ;-)
Actually what I meant (I'm saying it just to clarify, and not to force my opinion) is that the "extra" would be individual and will depend on how much generators the player has built. The reasoning behind this is to make the player consider a "trade off" when he decide to rush and build derricks. So instead of forcing a fee on each derrick or trying to find the best balanced formula of how to classify core and extra, the player will know that unassigned derricks might just be captured by his enemy, so he can either build more extra generators before building more derricks or guard each half built derrick or just not rush.

Assigning derricks to scavengers could be random, or based on distance. And making neutral derricks that the player must destroy (and wait for it to cool) is a good idea. :)

However you choose is fine for me, most of the time I'm loosing anyway... :stressed: :)
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

It's appears to me NoQ and Emdek misunderstood iap and came up with an alternate idea? If I'm understanding them correctly it's an interesting idea... wz adding neutral derricks to any oil resource that wasn't given a derrick (player or scavenger) in a map editor? It's interesting, but for that matter we could just start making maps with scavenger derricks on any unclaimed derrick.

I voted for 4 optoins: 1) shouldn't be "fixed" 2) Reduce burn time 3) no burn time unless derrick was finished and 4) add cost.

I think $50 sounds a bit much per derrick... ~$20 makes as much sense as possible to me.

I ultimately think we're misusing our resources on this non-issue, but that reducing burn time is the best compromise.

@reg312, you can all ready beat me with greater APM in this RTS... if you make the game too noob friendly that might change :O lol
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

but for that matter we could just start making maps with scavenger derricks on any unclaimed derrick.
What if we want to play without scavengers even though they are added, but still decrease oil rush? On Startup, for example.
We have only two scavenger modes, so we have room for one more (:
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Yes, like you said, 3 modes... forgot to reiterate that :-)
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241