How to fix the problem with oil-denying half-built derricks?

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)

Which solution do you like the most?

Poll ended at 09 Mar 2012, 14:31

Allow trucks to take over enemy partially-built structures (including derricks) by continuing building from where the enemy trucks left off, and finishing them up. (May only work if no enemy trucks are currently working on building the structure.)
14%
Allow trucks to demolish enemy partially-built structures (including derricks) while no enemy trucks are working on them. (The rate at when they're demolished may be reduced for enemy structures.)
9%
Reducing the time that oil wells burn in proportion to how complete the derrick was upon destruction (meaning that, if the derrick was only slightly built, then the well would be on fire for like only 1 second).
18%
Only set the well on fire if the derrick was already completed when it was destroyed.
17%
Give trucks the ability to capture enemy structures, including derricks, regardless of how complete they are (similar to NEXUS Link Turrets, though probably much less powerful).
5%
Have incomplete structures decay (auto-demolish), and eventually disappear, over time if they're not being worked on. (For Oil Derricks, they would not cause the well to catch on fire upon disappearing.)
14%
Add a price to Oil Derricks.
12%
Other. (Please explain.)
6%
This shouldn't be fixed at all!
5%

Total votes: 65

Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

How to fix the problem with oil-denying half-built derricks?

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Now that a number of people have voiced their support (in this thread) for wanting to fix the problem of denying enemies oil resources by building partially-complete derricks on them, we'll need to discuss how to fix it.

You are allowed to cast your vote on more than 1 solution at a time. If you've changed your mind at a later time, then you may change your vote.

Edit: Added new poll option.

Alternative options suggested by others:

1. Suggested by Emdek: Similar to the solution where trucks are allowed to take over enemy partially-built structures by continuing building from where the enemy trucks left off, and finishing them up, but would disallow taking over structures that are located close to an HQ, and would disallow taking over structures which would bypass structure limits (you cannot take over a partially-built Factory when you already have 5 built) or weren't researched yet (you cannot take over a Cannon Fortress if you don't know how to build one yourself).

2. Suggested by Berg: Make it so that every half-built derrick would disable a fully-built one.

Edit #2: This poll is closed for now. Beta 5 has just been released, with oil fires now burning for as long proportionally as how complete the derrick was upon destruction.
Last edited by Shadow Wolf TJC on 13 Mar 2012, 18:21, edited 6 times in total.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
JDW
Regular
Regular

Re: How to fix the problem with oil-denying half-built derri

Post by JDW »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:Now that a number of people have voiced their support
That's hardly enough people to consider as the entire community, but I voted anyway :)
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Reg312 requested that I added an additional option. When I added it in though, it resetted the poll, so you may want to recast your votes. Sorry about that.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

If you put "other" and "shouldn't be fixed" first, you should be able to add new options without the poll resetting.
We want information... information... information.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Thanks for the advice, though it seems as if poll creators are limited to adding 10 options, so I could only add 1 more option before it fills up.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Allow trucks to take over enemy partially-built structures (including derricks) by continuing building from where the enemy trucks left off, and finishing them up. (May only work if no enemy trucks are currently working on building the structure.)
There were also limitations, like delay (10 seconds + time depending on power spent by last truck + maybe some value depending on last truck's player HQ) + disallow taking over structures in player base (around 10 tiles from HQ) + disallow taking over structures which would bypass limits or weren't researched yet.
Some of above could / should apply to some other options from the poll.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

IMO, the second option would have been better if it did not have the demolishing of any opponent structure included as well. I think those are two entirely different issues. We were trying to prevent half-built derricks. Demolition of half-built structures is also an interesting debate but could have been excluded in this topic I suppose.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

JDW, yeah, it will be easier to get conclusion then, first solve one issue and then return to the second one.

Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

@Emdek: I can't add all these other options due to limits on how many can be placed on a poll. If you feel as if your ideal solution isn't on here, then you should try to pick the solutions that are closest to your preferred solution, and also pick the "Other" option.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Interesting, five people think that it's better if a half-built derrick never burned at all after it's destroyed. Even if it was built to near 99%
-- Ambrose Bierce
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Shadow Wolf TJC, sure, I've done that way. ;-)
This is just appendix to that idea, as that one and few others will need to have such limits anyway.

JDW, in that other topic I've suggested that unfinished derrick has nothing to burn, as extraction wasn't started yet.

Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

@JDW: Perhaps they all reasoned that, once the derrick is finished, then the oil starts getting pumped out and burnt? :wink:
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:Thanks for the advice, though it seems as if poll creators are limited to adding 10 options, so I could only add 1 more option before it fills up.
20 now.
We want information... information... information.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

@cybersphinx: While I do appreciate it, I'm now reluctant to add any more poll options since several votes were already casted now.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Emdek wrote:JDW, in that other topic I've suggested that unfinished derrick has nothing to burn, as extraction wasn't started yet.
Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:@JDW: Perhaps they all reasoned that, once the derrick is finished, then the oil starts getting pumped out and burnt?
Now that is just justifying realism. :lol2: :lol2:

But I get it. I must have skimmed over that part.
-- Ambrose Bierce